Flangers and phasers

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

HAL76 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:58 pm Szabo - Phazor is a free emulation of the Virus Phaser that has not been mentioned yet.
speaking of...
dsp56300 also runs as fx insert (for the virus delay, reverb, phaser etc )

https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/

kidslow wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:31 pm Just listened to the whole Mollusk album because I remember that one being heavy on effects. Sure enough. Seems like every song has a phaser. Heavy phaser. Makes you seasick. Intentionally. Andrew Weiss clearly used them in the mix, on top of whatever vocals and instruments were pushed through individually.

Great story behind that album. It has aged well. Did not know that Storm Thorgerson did the cover art.
https://www.stereogum.com/1951136/weens ... niversary/
thanks for sharing that

I don’t use flangers often, maybe on a hihat sometimes, other than that it’s from an EHX Electric Mistress and mixed in with the chorus on the same pedal. I use an EHX Small Stone and a Moogerfooger for hardware phasers. For plugin phasers I try these and pick the one that works best on the sound - D16 Godphazer, D16 Fazortan, Softube Fix Phaser, NI Phasis and the Eventide Instant Phaser.

jamcat wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:10 am Eventide Instant Phaser and Instant Flanger are my personal favourites.
Shhhh....

I really like AudioThing phaser. It just needs an update with bigger UI and VST3 version. 🤷‍♂️
AudioThing|Cableguys|Image-Line|Klanghelm|Tokyo Dawn Records|Tritik|Valhalla DSP
Dmitry Sches|Surge Synth Team|u-he

jens wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:25 pm Exactly - but actually it's more like asking "how do you use thyme?"
great point, well made. good job jens!

I like Instant Phaser/Flanger, but slightly prefer Fix Phaser/Flanger. Really love(d) stunning phaser, but I'm doubtful it'll ever go M1 native. The Sknote modulation plugins sound fantastic as well, but again they seem to be abandonware.

Really interested in Clearmountain Phases, but I'll wait with demoing until they have a sale going on. All in all I feel that modulation is one of the areas where plugins are still lagging behind analog a bit (next to distortion and compression).

As far as use cases, your creativity is really your only limitation of course. In general, I tend to blend those in subtly, as the effects themselves are quite pronounced. What's worked for me:

A) Phaser:
- I often place phasers before distortion, the interplay between the peaks and drive behavior is just wonderful; amazing in stereo as well
- Getting some additional movement for funky rhythm guitars (in combo with an envelope filter); actually, let's just say guitars in general
- Adding vibe to electric keys/synths (very slow speed usually)
- Adding a psychedelic twist to vocals (usually in combination with a plate and some dist)
- Drum break fx, especially snares/toms
- Adding movement to impact/background fx

B) Flanger:
- Sometimes, a flanger is the better chorus (esp. on synths IMO)
- I love running a flanger directly after some heavy distortion (mostly guitars)
- Flanging on hats/cymbals is a bit played out, but damn it's a cool sound
- Adding movement to impact/background fx (adding some weirdness to that noise rise ;))

I like using slow phasers to bring movement to things like pads or arpeggios or hihats or whatever, but then I also like using both phasers and flangers with rather extreme settings for FX purposes on pretty much any sound (synths, drums) often turning them on temporarily for just a bar before a break or something like that.

Eddie Van Halen kicked on his MXR flanger for just the last bar of the Ain’t Talkin’ ’Bout Love riff. 8)
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Return to “Effects”