Confession: I can't use ugly plugins.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

_leras wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:02 pm Yes your plug ins, a few of which I own, look terrible.
Thanks for your opinion. Does this bother you the most - that the plugins use the same visual framework and thus look like they take "minimal" effort to be produced? Is seeing SSL trademark give more weight to a product, in your opinion? If not, please point us to a "SSL" plugin interface you like.

(must be a pain to own something someone called "ugly"; if that's the case take it easy as Voxengo being Russian is a factor, especially now; I call it a raging competition)

_leras wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:02 pm
Aleksey Vaneev wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:41 pm :hihi: Voxengo seems to be an inspiration to talk about ugliness.

So, I'm totally correct about "exaggeration". :hihi:
Yes your plug ins, a few of which I own, look terrible.

And sorry, but No, there is no exaggeration. They just look like minimum effort has been put in their appearance.
Hmm.. this may be, but I personally think they are super easy on the eyes once you have set the colors the way you want them. Usually very clear layout and functions. Also, all the extra functions make them extremely useful in a multitude of situations. You are aware that you can fully customize the plugins looks, right?

So overall I just don't agree with you. They are not "pretty" but they are very functional.

.. and speaking of SSL, I at least can NOT use the current crop of their latest updates. The way they have tilted the 3D view triggers my nausea. It just makes them very unpleasant to look at and thus I don't use the bus compressor even though I own it.. or in the rare cases that I do want to use it, I switch to the Reaper controls only view.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Voxengo plugins look just fine and prefer them to many others.

Last edited by _leras on Wed May 25, 2022 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_leras, sorry, but design is design. It's either SSL or Voxengo, there can be no "inbetween" obviously. SSL design is even easier to do, if you ask me. Just a classic "rack panel" look rearranged, some vertically, some horizontally. Critique is good with an example. Honestly, everyone who went farther than just typing a word "ugly" produced horrible alternatives to Voxengo design.

For SSL, "rack panel" look is fine, it's their hard-earned legacy. For Voxengo, "rack panel" look is a loss of identity.

As for the "other reasons" to call Voxengo plugins "ugly", the situation is not as easy as you think. "Ugly just because", it's not actually uncommon, even if not in this thread maybe. It's real that rarely anyone explains anything. Feelings and thoughts. I'll repeat I do not have business problems with Voxengo plugins. Opinions are fine, I listen to them and make corrections. Moreover, nobody actually refers which Voxengo design is "ugly" - Sobor and Peakbuster have different designs. Which makes one think...

As for the color-blindness, I have a perfect color vision, tested that. However, as I've understood over time, different nations have different color and color combination preferences, it's a part of the culture. So, my decision to make UIs re-colorable was correct, it's not possible to please everybody in a single package.

Last edited by _leras on Wed May 25, 2022 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well, it's business, it's not a beauty competition. A lot more factors are in play beside ugliness.

Personally I find the Voxengo GUIs great. They - together with the Valhalla GUIs - are for me prime examples of "everything done right with great care". Instead of going the cheap easy way (the one you seem to prefer) they really came up with a design of their own. A look that makes their products immediately and without a doubt recognizeable as theirs* and one that is based on function over form - as it should be in my opinion.
The Voxengo design steadily grew over the years, with Aleksey carefully tweaking it, obviously always with useability in mind.

*which also makes it easier for their users to get familiar with new releases from them
Last edited by jens on Tue May 24, 2022 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

_leras, if you were well-intentioned enough, you could connect me with those "amateur instrument UI designers", we could come up with something. Right now it's at best vague critique and "finger-pointing" at others who are "better", very low-level discussion.

crickey13 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:22 am Voxengo plugins look just fine and prefer them to many others.
They are also very permissive when it comes to customizing the UI colors so make each instance unique :)

Last edited by _leras on Wed May 25, 2022 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by _leras on Wed May 25, 2022 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by _leras on Wed May 25, 2022 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Personally, I find the 3D skeuomorphism and tilted knobs absolutely repulsive and distracting. It's the uncanny valley level of awful.

Return to “Effects”