Cherry Audio Unleashes Lowdown Bass Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Lowdown Bass Synthesizer

Good
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

i downloaded the demo, put my touchscreen on the floor, and played this with my feet. you actually have to be careful, am on my third touchscreen (i stepped too hard on the first two). trap bass alert! :o

:idea:
fisherKing wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:37 pm i downloaded the demo, put my touchscreen on the floor, and played this with my feet. you actually have to be careful, am on my third touchscreen (i stepped too hard on the first two). trap bass alert! :o
You're using the wrong kind of footwear. Slippers or socks are the best when playing pedals. ;-)
I wish I could sing as well as the voices inside my head...

http://www.cdbaby.com/darkvictory

I listened to the preset demos with a pair of headphones from my mac and I must admit that it sounds good. I never tried a Taurus, but I have a Minitaur as a reference “from the same family” and this new plugin delivers something similar in terms of tone/low end.

Boy Wonder wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:21 pm I wonder why devs feel it's necessary to include obscure descriptions like this in their ads?

"It used a Hz/oct oscillator scaling (instead of the more conventional volts/oct oscillator scaling), allowing the detuning amount to remain constant across the range by minimizing the phase cancellation of two oscillators playing simultaneously."

Unless I was a scientist working at the Large Hadron Collider in Cern, all that jibber jabber, which was obviously written to impress me, makes no sense.
That’s an important thing, maybe it’s not as noticeable as, for example, a 2 pole vs 4 pole filter, but it’s important nonetheless.
Leave the technical jargon aside for a moment: those sentences are actually suggesting something to listen for when trying the synth, so you know why it’s different and you can choose when it’s the right instrument.
It’s not all about the huge bass (which is the first thing you would notice in a synth from the Taurus family), but it’s about how the sound changes when playing different notes across the keyboard with the oscillator with detuned against each other. Program a patch similar to the Taurus on a Minimoog (emulation), using two oscillators and leaving the filter open and not modulated on both synths, then compare then against each other and notice how the beating changes across the keyboard.

Don’t let the “technical description” (I don’t find it techical, I think Cherry Audio used the minimum words required to express the concept btw) put you off, that’s an important feature to know / an hint on what to listen for (of course then I buy synths based on what i hear, but knowing those characteristics is useful when I’m stuck and I can’t get the result I want and I need to look for a different tool with certain characteristics).

Just my two cents, if course!
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

Btw, even if’s off topic, a possible idea to try on virtual synths with a good modulation matrix could be to add note tracking to the detune amount (in small percentages!), in order to “tilt” the beating between the oscillators across the octaves (of course this requires for the synth to expose the detune amount / tuning of the oscillators as targets on the modulation matrix). I never tried this yet, but I will in the future…
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

Toes :)
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I'm here. Anything you want to know, I'll tell you, but first I'll answer some stuff that gets asked all the time.

1) Is the code reused? No. Both the Mini and Taurus are so bizarre in some of their circuitry, everything was written from absolute scratch to capture the weirdness. Likewise with most of VM900 and VM2500. Some non-critical code is always going to get reused. If I have a wheel, there's no need to invent one if it's not going to make any difference.

2) Do you do circuit / component modeling? Yes and no. Component modeling, absolutely not. Circuit modeling, yes. The software produces its results by doing the same things the circuits do.

3) How can you sell these plugins for so little? There's two ways you can make money with products like these. You can sell it for $150 to a few people that really really want it and can afford it, or you can sell it for $39 to way more people, make the same $$ (or maybe more), and make many more people happy. Cherry has wisely and kindly chosen the latter. It has nothing to do with quality or how long anything takes to develop. Remember, we are a family of synth lovers over here. The standards for quality are extraordinarily high.

4) How can you come out with so many products so fast? There's more than one of us, and the more you do it, the easier it gets.

I'll be glad to answer any other questions you might have.

--mb

This is from memory — wasn’t the Taurus basically a The Rogue, which was basically a Realistic Concertmate MG-1, which is emulated by the free Surrealistic MG-1 Plus, developed by *checks notes* Cherry Audio?

nanostream wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:23 am This is from memory — wasn’t the Taurus basically a The Rogue, which was basically a Realistic Concertmate MG-1, which is emulated by the free Surrealistic MG-1 Plus, developed by *checks notes* Cherry Audio?
No, that was the Taurus II, very different (I have a Moog Rogue and Taurus 3 btw).

Oops, forgot number 5. Can't forget number 5.

5) How does this compare to the Cartoonia, or H-Force, or whoever else's emulation? The answer is that the question itself is nonsensical, yet it is asked constantly. All these emulations are forgeries. Would you compare your Mona Lisa forgery to someone else's forgery to determine its authenticity? The only comparisons that make sense are directly to the original.

We are all art students painting a vase of flowers. In the classroom you will find 2 paintings; the one you like the best, and the one that most resembles the flowers. These are often 2 different paintings.

Boy Wonder wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:21 pm I wonder why devs feel it's necessary to include obscure descriptions like this in their ads?

"It used a Hz/oct oscillator scaling (instead of the more conventional volts/oct oscillator scaling), allowing the detuning amount to remain constant across the range by minimizing the phase cancellation of two oscillators playing simultaneously."

Unless I was a scientist working at the Large Hadron Collider in Cern, all that jibber jabber, which was obviously written to impress me, makes no sense.
This may be an age thing. Most synth nerds I know are over 45 and this kinda stuff we're used to reading from using earlier (ie 70s and 80s) synths over the years. Prob not so commonplace to anyone younger, granted.

Mr Arkadin wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:38 am
nanostream wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:23 am This is from memory — wasn’t the Taurus basically a The Rogue, which was basically a Realistic Concertmate MG-1, which is emulated by the free Surrealistic MG-1 Plus, developed by *checks notes* Cherry Audio?
No, that was the Taurus II, very different (I have a Moog Rogue and Taurus 3 btw).
Yup. Original Taurus was a unique bass pedal synth. Taurus II was the one that was basically a Rogue, which was very similar to parts of the MG-1. Old enough to remember when it came out and how reviewers were rather disappointed.

And if the dev says its all new code - I think we can take it that it's all new code! :D

Flip64 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:32 am

This may be an age thing. Most synth nerds I know are over 45 and this kinda stuff we're used to reading from using earlier (ie 70s and 80s) synths over the years. Prob not so commonplace to anyone younger, granted.
Yeah... I mean, if you're really into Synthesis then this kind of stuff is your meat and potatoes. The Taurus has the reputation it does for deep bass due to this scaling, if you're really interested in the sound then this is important, isn't just random specs being thrown out to sound good.

Didn't the Taurus II have the nickname of 'Rogue on a stick' or something? :)

Does this have anything unique going for it? Could you not get similar bass sounds from a SH 101 or Pro one emulation for example?

Return to “Instruments”