Favourite Operating System ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For me it's still Windows 7... more polished than 10. Infact I'm using Windows 7 now because Windows 10 doesn't like one of my Hard Disks after I did a check disk on it. Windows 7 seems more accepting of it so I'm able to access it. I use to use Linux Mint 18 but it was really for a rescue alternative for fast booting and accessing drives / the internet. Windows 7 seems to have take that place now as a back up to Windows 10. The only thing Windows 10 has over Windows 7 is being able to access all my ram that I have (20 Gigs). having to buy a third party program to make Windows 10 look more prettier and a free alterntive to customise the Start menu seemed like a bit much, but then Windows 10 didn't cost me anything from upgrading from Windows 10, so I've not paid much to get it really than what it normally costs.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

AmigaOS by far still :D - Then Windows 7.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:21 pmThe only thing Windows 10 has over Windows 7 is being able to access all my ram that I have (20 Gigs).
If you need to stick to 7 see if you can get a cheap online license for a Win7 Pro key (must be super cheap by now), which will up the limit to ram limit to something like 192gb. When I upgraded to a pro 7 license I seem to remember (was years now) you just enter the new license key, restart the machine and BOOM it's Win7 Pro

THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:21 pm For me it's still Windows 7...
You may like https://forums.mydigitallife.net/forums/windows-7.16/

ToS

Never met an OS I actually like, but I use Windows because it's compatible with the things I want to do.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

Well frankly,they can pry my Windows Vista from my cold,dead hands when I'm six feet under
and that's ONLY after a 6 month waiting period if I haven't rung the bell next to my headstone
License transaction fees apply
C.O.D.O.A.
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Best for what?

Music production = Mac OS
Server stuff = Linux, usually Ubuntu or Debian

Windoze = poo flung by monkeys
Bitwig Certified Trainer

What is it with this urge to insult millions of people?
Perhaps I should join in: Apple makes crap using slave labour.

I use both. I make music on both. I run my business on W10.
I never had problems with either and, on the iMac, I only use Ableton and Bitwig and actually, beside producing music with these DAWs, I don’t “feel” amazed by the OS (probably because I don’t adventure outside music making).

I prefer W10 overall because I can run Business and Pleasure and literally “hands on” (touch screen) with my applications.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Googly Smythe wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:02 pm What is it with this urge to insult millions of people?
Perhaps I should join in: Apple makes crap using slave labour.
I insulted Windows, not the users. Big difference. I like people, and dislike Windows.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Arguable.
billcarroll wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:13 pm Windoze = poo flung by monkeys
Anyway, my condolescence (for using Mac OS). :P

I have quite a few plugins which don't have a native M1 version. That would suck.

chk071 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:28 pm Arguable.
billcarroll wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:13 pm Windoze = poo flung by monkeys
Anyway, my condolescence (for using Mac OS). :P

I have quite a few plugins which don't have a native M1 version. That would suck.
I'm all for people loving whatever they want to love. <3
Bitwig Certified Trainer

I use ~3 different OSs on a typical day.

General life stuff, work, science, programming: desktop Linux (liking Fedora at the moment but lots of good options)

The above but on a nice laptop and occasionally needing to run Microsoft Office: Mac OS

High performance computing, working with data on virtual machines: whatever Linux is available is fine, probably CentOS

Running commercial VST plugins on sensibly-priced hardware: currently Windows 10. No hurry to move to 11, I have an old but powerful CPU and not sure it's supported.

Not crazy about iOS or Android but I guess they do their jobs well enough.

yabridge is really impressive, I could switch music to Linux if I had to but Windows partition already has stuff installed and plays better with activation. It's good to have the option if Win 11 continues being obnoxious. This is one reason I'm reluctant to buy into stuff like iLok.

Mac OS9.2.2 for completely nostalgia reasons.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”