Super cheap headphones ($40 or less) that don't suck for making music?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm a beginner on a tight budget and I am looking for some help choosing closed back headphones to make music on. I currently have my eyes on the Sennheiser HD 206 and I just wanted to know if there are any other alternatives worth looking at in this price range.

for the cheap end of the spectrum you could check out any of the Superlux HD681s. I have the HD 681 F, works nice - I do prefer my AKG K702s, though.
member of the guild of professional dilettantes.

I swear by the Superlux 668Bs. Lovely balanced sound, open, very comfy, ~$40

GaryG wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:44 pm I swear by the Superlux 668Bs. Lovely balanced sound, open, very comfy, ~$40
+1 for those.

chk071 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:02 pm
GaryG wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:44 pm I swear by the Superlux 668Bs. Lovely balanced sound, open, very comfy, ~$40
+1 for those.
I think in these threads it's always us two recommending those 'phones, we should start a club. :)

Superlux should pay us some commission. :D

hey, i can join the party, if the snacks are free and there's plenty gravy. I have the 668Bs, I should pick them up again.i remember when i compared them I preferred the Fs. it was quite some time ago, though.
member of the guild of professional dilettantes.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I actually have an HD668b. It's quite old though, and it feels like it might break soon. That's why I'm looking for a replacement.
I agree that it sounds very nice, but I'm not a huge fan of the open-back design because of all the noise it lets in (especially my computer fans).

I could buy another 668b, but I was wondering if there are any closed-back options worth getting. wakax mentioned the SR950, maybe I should get that instead of the Sennheiser I was previously considering.

I've got a few pairs of Audio-Technica headphones, looks like the ones I've got here at my desk are ATH-M30x. No idea how they fare in comparison but they are cheap and do the job.

Unless I really need closed-back I go for open-back Sennheisers though (mine are +20 year old HD590) - got a Mac Studio which doesn't have much fan noise to speak of.

did you consider going second hand? theres some great cans you can get if lucky on that budget. The SRH940 for example is something you can sometimes find at that price.

A friend of mine recommended these as closed back headphones for monitoring while recording. I’ve been using them to watch TV when the wife’s working and I think they sound great. Super cheap.

https://www.status.co/products/cb1
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

if you find Samson SR950 buy it,it's better than most 150+ eu cans.
I bought SR850 because of www opinions,but turns out it's not a monitor but broadcast phones,cause it was 29 euro a bought also SR950 and what a surprise ,so flat you can hear every detail.
Only issue is long session and clap force make you ears hurt.
Cheers :)

I love all the audio technica headphones. I am sure that you will find one for your budget.

While writing this plug for the Monoprice Stage Right model 605055 (which remind me of my self-destructed Sennheiser HD-280s but much less expensive) I discovered that they've discontinued all their headphones. Maybe they'll come back after the supply chains sort themselves out.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”