Ableton Live Standard Enough?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm an amateur musician - no training, but I can hear what works (or at least I think I can, and my family humour me). I'm looking to move to Ableton Live from FL Studio...

Is AL 11 Standard more than enough for someone in my position? After looking around the tinterweb, the general opinion seems to be to just go all-in and buy AL 11 Suite. But would that be overkill for me? Is it worth is for the extra 60+GB of packs and the additional software synths? I'm not sure what MAX would give me, being completely honest.
DAW: Logic Pro Audio Interface: STUDIO 24c Monitors: ROKIT 5 Microphone: AT2020 Computer: iMac 27" Keyboard: LaunchKEY 49

I have Suite 11. Have had suite since it was first released and it's well worth it for me. Every new release brings more toys. MAX4Live will give you access to thousands of extra FX & instruments. Many of Live's best effects use m4l and come with the Suite. Having said that, the standard version of Live has plenty going on. What's missing from FL that you want/need?

It really depends on what you want to do, your tools you use etc.

I don't use max4live a lot but when I do, I enjoy them.

The best thing about it is lfo and env follower which I believe are both on standard now, perhaps just lfo tool.

I think do the demo and see if the suite extras appeal to you. It's a question you should be able to answer yourself after doing that.

I started on Standard and then upgraded during a sale some years ago. It's a good way to go, just don't buy any addons that are included in the suite as you'll be wasting your money if you choose to upgrade later.

*You can sell the addons, but you will lose money on them very likely.

Thanks all. I played around with the full trial, but it ran out before I'd really tried a few things (like Sampler - I'd only played around with Simpler).

I'm looking to move away from FL as I feel the pattern based approach isn't for me. I like so much about FL (I'm going to miss Flex), but I found I was more creative with the workflow in AL.

Both Envelope Follower and LFO are included in Standard. Thanks for the heads up! (two more thing I didn't really get round to looking at).

I think I'll go Standard for now, then, and upgrade when if I realise I'm missing something. The current 25% discount is what made me even consider Suite tbh, so cost is also a factor (being sensible).
DAW: Logic Pro Audio Interface: STUDIO 24c Monitors: ROKIT 5 Microphone: AT2020 Computer: iMac 27" Keyboard: LaunchKEY 49

You can use Flex if you load FL Studio as a vsti in Ableton Live.

Blaster wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:37 am You can use Flex if you load FL Studio as a vsti in Ableton Live.
I wonder how practical that is in reality, but good shout!

I use Standard and have no reason to upgrade to Suite.

Used Standard since (at least) 8, updated 10 to Suite and sold it, because I didn't use the extra stuff. Now I'm back on 11 Standard again.

I recommend you get the trial, see what you like in it, then check against the "Compare Editions" page.

https://www.ableton.com/en/trial/

https://www.ableton.com/en/live/compare-editions/

I was just about to ask these same questions so good to see at least someone else was on my wavelength before I was even. For me I am upgrading from Intro having used the free version for about a year before that. Having collected a decent collection of plugins already the most significant thing holding me back is the track limit of 16 especially as I have been competing in the OSC challenges recently using half your tracks on percussion can limit what you can do with the melody etc.
Locally the difference with the sale is $255 which is a significant amount for some I am sure handy extras. I am maybe thinking of going standard for now and the next sale maybe getting the suite if I think I still need Max etc.
Either way as I have only so far made a few cents from my music both versions will take a while to even break even.

BrainBeatMusic wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:08 am I was just about to ask these same questions so good to see at least someone else was on my wavelength before I was even. For me I am upgrading from Intro having used the free version for about a year before that. Having collected a decent collection of plugins already the most significant thing holding me back is the track limit of 16 especially as I have been competing in the OSC challenges recently using half your tracks on percussion can limit what you can do with the melody etc.
Locally the difference with the sale is $255 which is a significant amount for some I am sure handy extras. I am maybe thinking of going standard for now and the next sale maybe getting the suite if I think I still need Max etc.
Either way as I have only so far made a few cents from my music both versions will take a while to even break even.
If you're using oneshot drums samples, you can easily fit all your drums into one channel using drum rack. The drawback is that you have all your drums in one midi clip, but at the same time the sequencer is less cluttered.

It's only $53 more for me to upgrade to the suite, so use everything or not. :shrug:
BTW: when I used the standard version, I did have max and the sampler addons as well,
for me they were hard to do without. I still have the extra max lic I believe. :lol:

Azbest wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:20 am If you're using oneshot drums samples, you can easily fit all your drums into one channel using drum rack. The drawback is that you have all your drums in one midi clip, but at the same time the sequencer is less cluttered.
Yeah, I know about the drum rack but that I do not believe is useable for the One Synth Challenge as you are not allowed to export or use samples as the whole track has to be made with just instances of the chosen synth plugin. The 16 tracks I have now have been just enough for what I have made but I am thinking I will need just a few more as I get more creative.

pekbro wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:21 am It's only $53 more for me to upgrade to the suite, so use everything or not. :shrug:
BTW: when I used the standard version, I did have max and the sampler addons as well,
for me they were hard to do without. I still have the extra max lic I believe. :lol:
I am in Australia so our dollar's exchange rate is only sitting at about 72c to the USD. We often have to pay more for stuff here too and it has to have included in that price our 10% GST. Maybe there is less of a gap once you are at standard too? and or if you already have the Max stuff?

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”