What's the basic implementation of multi-resonant filters?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

S0lo wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:39 pm it's not like you're in an exam.
Nor is this a pissing contest :-P
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:00 am
S0lo wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:39 pm it's not like you're in an exam.
Nor is this a pissing contest :-P
But pissing can be a relieve :hihi:
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

On a more serious thought. If we go 50 years back where there was only analog. Spring reverb and bucket brigade delay is pretty much cheating. Spring sounds horribly metallic and nothing like real room echos. Bucket brigade is limited and noisy.

Yet now, people like them and want to emulate/model them with digital means despite the fact that digital can do a much better job at the original aim. (Edit: and there nothing wrong with that, which was my point)
Last edited by S0lo on Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.solostuff.net

50 years ago the pro option for studio reverb was real echo chambers. And high-end spring reverbs can actually sound nice, check out the Nevo impulse responses.

imrae wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:21 pm 50 years ago the pro option for studio reverb was real echo chambers.
And thats why spring can't replace "real echo chambers".
imrae wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:21 pm And high-end spring reverbs can actually sound nice, check out the Nevo impulse responses.
I actually agree. Because sounding nice is different than sounding real acoustic. And both can sound nice when put in the right musical context. That was the whole point of me saying:
S0lo wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:39 pm If it sounds good, who cares whats inside it.
Well, developers and engineers should care of-course, but what I meant is not to religiously prevent them selves from using something that may seam wrong at first glance.

This is all given musical endeavors are the goal. Otherwise, If the goal is developing a plug for audio engineers. That's a different thing.
www.solostuff.net

antto wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:59 pmthis is kinda silly since one of my "wanna-be ladder" filters can produce similar sound (but less nasty sounding), and i did it with some silly multiplication on the feedback, i think... not sure, gotta look it up
Now that I've calmed down from you trying to call me out, I'm happy that you were able to do some filter experiments and get interesting results.

i was just trying to guess and give answer to the previous post

i'm not new here btw

faking the resonance is a legit approach in synthesis, there are no rules, i did not say "fake" in a negative manner

and yes, i'm almost sure in the filter i mentioned i took a signal from the feedback somewhere where it was just the resonance, and i multiplied it, this gives overtones, but it only sounded okay-ish in some filter modes, on others it was bad

sine waves are magical in so many different ways
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

antto wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:11 ami'm not new here btw
hah sorry, I know that, I was just being mean.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”