CLAP: The New Audio Plug-in Standard (by U-he, Bitwig and others)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Markus Krause wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:34 pm The most nice feature is CLAP is that the music industry does not longer depend on the weird/bad decisions of a single monopolistic company
Not unique to CLAP, but yes that was one of the goals.

EnGee wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:50 pm
This is a very nice example :) Yes, this is what I imagined I can do with ACE/CLAP! Great example!
Thanks!

Here is another ACE example. More per voice parameter sequencing including some parameters that cannot be modulated directly in ACE like Multiple Input Gain which opens up lots of new possibilities. I've always wanted an ACE XL... now I have it!

https://dandelionaudio.com/sound/CLAP-Ace-9.mp3

The polyphonic modulation features are indeed incredible! It really turns any instrument that supports this feature into a polyphonic modular synth. Stuff I could only setup in a modular like VCV Rack, is super easy to setup in Bitwig with the CLAP instruments. It's truly brilliant.

Acustica's CEO said he wouldn't do it because their is too many formats, and also the money in doing it. Thought that was interesting.

wuworld wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:56 pm Acustica's CEO said he wouldn't do it because their is too many formats, and also the money in doing it. Thought that was interesting.
That's a shame, they were one of devs I was hoping would jump onboard because their plugins are very demanding and thus would I/we would benefit a lot from CLAPs improved multicore capabilities. They must have some serious technical barriers in the way for them to turn their backs on fixing one of the most, if the not the most complained about drawback of their products.

Still it's early days and they may well yet change their minds if/when CLAP becomes more widely adopted.
Always Read the Manual!

Acustica's plugins are buggy as hell, whatever to them

pdxindy wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:29 pm
This is a very nice example :) Yes, this is what I imagined I can do with ACE/CLAP! Great example!
Thanks!

Here is another ACE example. More per voice parameter sequencing including some parameters that cannot be modulated directly in ACE like Multiple Input Gain which opens up lots of new possibilities. I've always wanted an ACE XL... now I have it!

you are killing it with these patches man, sounds great.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:29 pm
Thanks!

Another wonderful example 👏 The per voice modulation adds this strange movements to the chord and giving it another meaning of questioning 😀
Without per voice modulation, I need additional two to three tracks with modulations in each to produce such complex feeling.

EnGee wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:15 pm Another wonderful example 👏 The per voice modulation adds this strange movements to the chord and giving it another meaning of questioning 😀
Without per voice modulation, I need additional two to three tracks with modulations in each to produce such complex feeling.
Thanks... the per voice modulation really does add a lovely complexity. Doing parameter sequencing per voice, then added a bit of per voice variation to the sequence. Plenty of pleasing and unexpected nuances. In some cases, it is an easier workflow using Bitwig modulators, particularly if they modulate each other.

This one is Diva, few Bitwig modulators, some played notes plus Delay and Reverb.

https://dandelionaudio.com/sound/CLAP-Diva-2.mp3

pdxindy wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:44 pm
This one is Diva, few Bitwig modulators, some played notes plus Delay and Reverb.

https://dandelionaudio.com/sound/CLAP-Diva-2.mp3
Yes exactly! This is a great pad :tu: Reminds me of Absynth presets (which I like a lot), but now I can let Absynth rest in peace and let my eyes enjoy clearer fonts and graphics from other synths ;)

Bitwig team have nailed it with this and put all their modular tools in a new usage. I'm waiting for the stable release so I can have one version of Bitwig and can experiment with ACE and Surge XT (those I have with CLAP version for now).

FAO the CLAP dev team thus far,

I have resurrected my project of a modular open hardware keyboard controller that anybody can build to their specifications from generic off-the-shelf components (e.g. standard eurorack rails) via the plans and cutting files for the chassis itself, PCB and firmware. This includes commercial kits anybody can produce, which I have no interest in producing myself, only an interest in creating a tool to solve my incredibly niche needs that no manufacturers seem to care about.

Think of it as an open version of Waldorf's now-discontinued KB37, which can fit on an under-desk keyboard tray when the hinge for the upper Eurorack section is closed (think 'unpopulated Behringer Poly D' similar to a KB37, and you're getting there in design terms). This comes from my disatisfaction with NI's Komplete Kontrol MK2 S88 with its Fatar TP100L/R keybed, and disinterest in smaller keyboards.

An addressable LED strip above the keybed similar to the Komplete Kontrol MK2, or Novation's SL MK III are something that I've explored within the design.

Is there any interest in standardizing the control of addressable LEDs within CLAP in a manner similar to NKS? My major frustration with the Komplete Kontrol MK1 and MK2 (other than NI's glacially-slow development) has been utilizing the LED 'lightguide' above the keys requires using a wrapper such as Komplete Kontrol VSTi, or Maschine VSTi, and thus there is no PDC within a DAW when using Maschine VSTi for example. It occurs to me that CLAP could potentially standardize this, and not need to compromise on the loss of PDC. Whether it's out of scope, or just not much interest, I'd love to know further thoughts on it.

Personally, I love being able to visualize key zones/splits on both the SL MKII and KKMK1/2, but holding it behind NKS and the NI wrappers themselves has always irked me, and the Novation SL MK III assignable LEDs don't seem to be supported by any desktop software that I know of (and the largest is only 61 keys!). I love the workflow concepts brought to the table, just do not want to buy Native Instruments hardware going forward, and would love to see the software/standard concept fleshed out far beyond what Native Instruments has provided in the years since its release. I really missed aftertouch when using Maschine too (the VSTi doesn't support it, even if your controllers do—yikes).

As an example build: other than an addressable LED strip above the keys, I would choose to have faders for expression placed in the keyboard's left-most zone, and three modulation wheels. I would then include a grid of pads and some other choice modules throughout the rest of the upper eurorack area. I would likely add a recessed panel the center of it to be able to place a keyboard, trackpad/trackball and have them fit flush with the upper surface. Ergonomics are pretty important to me, so being able to position input devices exactly where I need them in front of me is very important, especially as I am physically disabled with Ehlers-Danlos.

If there's any interest, I'll endeavour to get a GitHub repository up with the work so far in it ASAP.

Just some fleeting 3am thoughts. As you were. Hope you're getting some sleep and not burning the candle at both ends. :- )

Hammy Havoc wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:05 am FAO the CLAP dev team thus far,

I have resurrected my project of a modular open hardware keyboard controller that anybody can build to their specifications from generic off-the-shelf components (e.g. standard eurorack rails) via the plans and cutting files for the chassis itself, PCB and firmware. This includes commercial kits anybody can produce, which I have no interest in producing myself, only an interest in creating a tool to solve my incredibly niche needs that no manufacturers seem to care about.

Think of it as an open version of Waldorf's now-discontinued KB37, which can fit on an under-desk keyboard tray when the hinge for the upper Eurorack section is closed (think 'unpopulated Behringer Poly D' similar to a KB37, and you're getting there in design terms). This comes from my disatisfaction with NI's Komplete Kontrol MK2 S88 with its Fatar TP100L/R keybed, and disinterest in smaller keyboards.

An addressable LED strip above the keybed similar to the Komplete Kontrol MK2, or Novation's SL MK III are something that I've explored within the design.

Is there any interest in standardizing the control of addressable LEDs within CLAP in a manner similar to NKS? My major frustration with the Komplete Kontrol MK1 and MK2 (other than NI's glacially-slow development) has been utilizing the LED 'lightguide' above the keys requires using a wrapper such as Komplete Kontrol VSTi, or Maschine VSTi, and thus there is no PDC within a DAW when using Maschine VSTi for example. It occurs to me that CLAP could potentially standardize this, and not need to compromise on the loss of PDC. Whether it's out of scope, or just not much interest, I'd love to know further thoughts on it.

Personally, I love being able to visualize key zones/splits on both the SL MKII and KKMK1/2, but holding it behind NKS and the NI wrappers themselves has always irked me, and the Novation SL MK III assignable LEDs don't seem to be supported by any desktop software that I know of (and the largest is only 61 keys!). I love the workflow concepts brought to the table, just do not want to buy Native Instruments hardware going forward, and would love to see the software/standard concept fleshed out far beyond what Native Instruments has provided in the years since its release. I really missed aftertouch when using Maschine too (the VSTi doesn't support it, even if your controllers do—yikes).

As an example build: other than an addressable LED strip above the keys, I would choose to have faders for expression placed in the keyboard's left-most zone, and three modulation wheels. I would then include a grid of pads and some other choice modules throughout the rest of the upper eurorack area. I would likely add a recessed panel the center of it to be able to place a keyboard, trackpad/trackball and have them fit flush with the upper surface. Ergonomics are pretty important to me, so being able to position input devices exactly where I need them in front of me is very important, especially as I am physically disabled with Ehlers-Danlos.

If there's any interest, I'll endeavour to get a GitHub repository up with the work so far in it ASAP.

Just some fleeting 3am thoughts. As you were. Hope you're getting some sleep and not burning the candle at both ends. :- )
Very interesting and it definitively triggered my Nerd-nerve ;-) Do you have any pictures?

This can be done as a CLAP extension. You should write down a basic specification and create an issue for it in the CLAP GitHub issue tracker.

Veering off-topic, I'd like to think if Bitwig were to branch out to considering making a pad controller, there'd be no small amount of interest.

moss wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:43 am
Hammy Havoc wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:05 am FAO the CLAP dev team thus far,

Very interesting and it definitively triggered my Nerd-nerve ;-) Do you have any pictures?

This can be done as a CLAP extension. You should write down a basic specification and create an issue for it in the CLAP GitHub issue tracker.
Good to see you, Moss! Love DrivenByMoss very much. Thank you for your continued hard work. :tu:

Will put together a GitHub repository over the weekend with all the work in it thus far, including CAD files, and some renders in a few different materials. Glad to know you're interested too. There's a whole five of us thus far, but think we're in good company... :- )

Dropping this in here as well: https://clapdb.tech

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”