CLAP: The New Audio Plug-in Standard (by U-he, Bitwig and others)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This seems great :tu: I hope it picks up fast :pray:

Made mostly by U-He, the Bitwig team, and other big players in the area, plus I love it is open source.

https://youtu.be/B2mywWyI9es

https://www.bitwig.com/stories/clap-the ... ndard-201/

https://github.com/free-audio/clap
Last edited by pc999 on Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Edit: double post

CLAP 1.0 betas for ACE, Diva, Hive, MFM 2.5
viewtopic.php?t=582950
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Reading the list of the first supporters makes me wonder: where the hell is Ableton in this? Let's hope they're not sleeping on CLAP.

jules99 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:58 pm Reading the list of the first supporters makes me wonder: where the hell is Ableton in this? Let's hope they're not sleeping on CLAP.
No worries, there's communication. We had not had the time to address all their questions before today, so we've suggested to meet in a few weeks.

Using the new CLAP betas of ACE, Diva and Hive in Bitwig 4.3 is fantastic. Now Diva has unlimited per voice modulation. Want 3 or 4 Envelopes instead of 2? Sure! Same with LFO's, parameter sequencing, randomization and so on. It's like a whole new version of the synth!

I notice that Steinberg have very coincidental marketing for today. They seem to be missing a really cool format though ;)

While I can’t wait to use Diva and eventually Repro in CLAP on Bitwig, I was disappointed that I didn’t see Softube on that list. We’re they consulted at all? I assume so.

This is super exciting! Really just wanting to add to the buzz about this. Thrilled to see something that could be a viable replacement for VST. Can't wait to try out making a small something with it!

The list of companies already interested is fantastic, too. (esp Xfer, Vital, Valhalla, and FabFilter!)

I didn't see iZotope on the list. Hopefully they're on the shortlist to add to it!

Awesome news and amazing work by U-he and Bitwig 👏 👏 👏

Has the CLAP team had any communication with the JUCE team? That would obviously be huge for wider adoption.

najati wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:57 pm The list of companies already interested is fantastic, too. (esp Xfer, Vital, Valhalla, and FabFilter!)
Yes, those companies almost cover all my plugins (along with u-he). Add in Plasmonic and Oddsound (which is on the list) and I'm set... be cool to have all CLAP plugins :)

I guess the main benefit will be for those simpler synths with not much modulation right? I’m thinking diva and repro mainly. Will be nice to be able to modulate pw in the eco osc! And repro needed more mods anyways. And replacing bazilles sequencer with one that has swing in Bitwig! Or Tal synths getting more more mpe mod destinations would be great.

But when it comes to modulation monsters like vital or classic style synths with lots of additional modulation like arturia, is there much advantage in Bitwig? I’d generally rather use the modulation in the synth itself as it’s more obvious you don’t have to find it in the parameter list. I guess there is the voice stacking but I’m not huge into unison sounds anyways.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:01 pm is there much advantage in Bitwig? I’d generally rather use the modulation in the synth itself as it’s more obvious you don’t have to find it in the parameter list.
Bitwig modulation opens up so much more, but even with 'monster' synths, allows additional collaboration with other devices and unique workflows.

I'm so annoyed at myself that I'm only just appreciating how powerful the bitwig modulators are.

As mentioned elsewhere, I'd also like to think that in the future, synth modulations/CV could also be exposed back to the DAW (especially as modulators in bitwig).

So is this going to replace VST or did I misunderstand and it's more like a shell format for the VST's to play nicer within hosts and offer better modulation options ?

Digivolt wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:27 pm So is this going to replace VST or did I misunderstand and it's more like a shell format for the VST's to play nicer within hosts and offer better modulation options ?
It's an alternative. A choice.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”