TAL J-8: Poly II mode not working.

Official support for: tal-software.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Poly II mode on Jupiter 8 is acting like a monophonic mode, only using Voice [1] until more than one key is pressed.

This service manual is written for Juno106, but the mode is the same on JP-8:
Poly1 mode is designed with polyphonic performance in mind – great for playing chords and pads where voices need to overlap. In Poly1 each new key will assign a new voice until six keys are assigned, the 7th keystroke will assign the first voice again if that note is different from the six notes played previously.

Played and held notes have priority over new notes. Voice stealing while receiving pedal hold is however behaviour different from voice allocation while playing and holding down more than six notes. This behaviour is in line with the behaviour of the original hardware.

Poly2 mode is designed for a more consistent performance of the glide function. In this mode gliding between notes is easier to control, making it ideal for baselines with glide and gliding tritone chords for example. In Poly2 mode each voice is assigned to first keystroke, second keystroke etc. - So, playing staccato will use only first voice in Poly2 mode.

If only the same key is repeatably played, the same voice will always be assigned – true regardless of Poly1 and Poly2 mode.

This is an example of the difference between the Poly1 and Poly2 voice allocation modes:

Sequence played: C, C, D, E, F, G, A, B - chord C-E-G

Poly1: voice 1, voice 1, voice 2, voice 3, voice 4, voice 5, voice 6, voice 1 - voice 2-3-5

Poly2: voice 1, voice 1, voice 1, voice 1, voice 1, voice 1, voice 1, voice 1 - voice 1-2-3
TAL J-8 v1.5 (win 10) is not behaving like this at all. I would consider it a bug.

Haven't read your thing,.. this is screen shot from the jupiter 8 manual..
jupter 8.jpg
I assume you know the Tal-J8 is the Jupiter 8 NOT the JP-8.

and the Tal J-8 Manual
tal.jpg
Does it coincide or contradict?
rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

Yes I've read that very confusing text so many times, and it doesn't say anything useful.

The Arturia JUP8V Poly II mode works as I would expect: Set to 8 voice polyphony, and only play a monophonic melody with a long release it will act like a monosynth, but take a large chord and go back to mono play, the releases of the chord (-1) will not be interrupted.

That could translate to the confusing text you pasted. :)

Anyway, I would suggest email Patrick and see what he thinks.
rsp
sound sculptist

Confirmed, Poly II mode in J-8 doesn't work at all as the OG Jupiter 8 manual states.

Roland was infamous for their japenglish manuals, so I can't confirm or not confirm if it is behaving like it should based on the original manual, since I am not sure what it is saying. It does though behave like the Tal J-8 manual re: voice stealing.

But contact Patrick.
rsp
sound sculptist

The C-E-G example from the Juno manual matches the description from the Jupiter-8 manual as far as I'm understanding it.

Basically, in Poly I mode, you play one key and it takes one voice. If you have long release and you keep on playing that same key, the voice gets reassigned, continuing from the current envelope levels.

In Poly II mode, if you play a long release sound staccato (pressing different keys), it will sound like a monophonic line (same voice is reassigned no matter the note played, until you start playing actual chords).

zvenx wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:00 pm I assume you know the Tal-J8 is the Jupiter 8 NOT the JP-8
IMG_20220616_001409.jpg
FYI, the original manual of the Jupiter 8 from 1981 shortens the model to JP-8 (Not to be confused with the new JP-08)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ahh indeed.. just checked my pdf...my bad.

I was misremembering the jx-8p as jp-8

https://i1.wp.com/www.rolandus.com/blog ... -JX-8P.png
rsp
sound sculptist

Thanks for the reports about the POLY II mode. We will have a closer look at it in the next weeks and try to find out how it works with our hardware device.
TAL Software GmbH
https://tal-software.com/

Thanks, Patrick!

Thanks Patrick!

I was reading an article about Jupiter 8, and found the following:

https://musictech.com/reviews/roland-jupiter-8/
And now we’ve mentioned the portamento, I can tell you about one of my fave things that the Jupe can do. Poly Mode 2 uses the same oscillators first, with each trigger. So using this mode, with portamento, means that the notes will glide from chord to chord, in the way that one would want – sliding effortlessly from one chord to the next!
I quickly tested this and it seems that the Roland Jupiter behaves as it should.. But couldn't endure much long the BEEEEEEEEPS and NOOOOOOOOOOOOISEs from Roland demo version.

Anyway, thanks and waiting for your final word on this one :)

Thanks a lot for the information. Just have my hardware device back. It makes absolute sense. I will try to add the authentic Jupiter key handling mode this week. There are also some surprises in the SOLO mode. At least on my hardware device.
TAL Software GmbH
https://tal-software.com/

Awesome, thank you!

Just a question, though: would you literally change the behavior of existing Poly II mode, so that all patches using it automatically get the fix?

Return to “TAL Software”