Cosmic Generation [Electronic, Ambient, Berlin School]

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://youtu.be/sefXWlvemj4
https://soundcloud.com/infravolt/cosmic-generation
This track made specifically for Songwriting Competition 057 - "Synth Racks, Patches and Cables".

Mix Challenge forum | Songwriting Competition | Thread, related to this contest

Downloads: FLAC | MP3

The goal was to create a production in any electronic music genre (modular style encouraged). This entry was awarded 3rd place.

This is my little tribute to the early modular electronic music era and to the musicians who are passing. I would like to work a little bit more and add more sounds, but my computer resources are limited in my current setup. It's a kinda personal challenge to create something valuable while being limited in possible material.

Instruments and techniques:

I used Cherry Audio's software instrumets for all sounds.

1. Voltage Modular is a virtual modular environment that used to create four sounds. There is a different arrangement of modules for each sound. The explanatation of all modules's functions will take the whole page, so I will briefly describe every patch:
- The main bass sequence using modules that emulate MS-20 behaviour, with two sequencers for pitch and filter;
- The intro pad created with additive oscillator module. There are several LFOs modulating it's "partials" amplitude and panning through console mixer module. It's than passed through phaser and reverb effect modules. It appears again in the outro with pitch modulation white noise;
- The "chimes" patch is created with sample & hold module, fed with a signal from a "morphing" LFO. The clock source for S&H is a sequecer with different voltage values for every step, creating random timing;
- The vocoder speech patch in the outro, created with several oscillators (tuned to C7 chord) and a bandpass filter as a modulator signal.
2. Polymode is used for two sounds:
- A classic string pad with ensemble and phaser effects;
- A brass lead.
3. Surrealistic MG-1 is used for two sounds:
- A flute like lead. It also plays a noisy modulated random sequence in the outro.
- A white noise with filter automation.
4. Audio Thing "Outer Space" used as a main echo send.
5. All sounds are processed with Wavesfactory "Cassette" to give a vintage worn out tape feel.

Produced in FL Studio 20.9.2
"Some people don't like music created on a PC and declare it as "fake". I don't care. The only thing matters to me is the end result."
SoundCloud YouTube Patreon

That's great. i like how understated much of it is.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Feels like I am flying, and exploring!!!
This music is very engaging, and truly alive!!!
The beat after the intro is very nice, and the synth sounds are very cool.
This is a winner of a composition!!!
High quality recording!
Thanks for this.
Rene

I loved the intro. It sounded like moving through underground caves towards a mysterious music source. I thought the main bass sequence was very reminiscent of some of Manuel Göttsching's work as Ashra in the mid/late '70s. If you haven't heard them already, try to listen to "New Age of Earth" or "Blackouts", although I'm sure you're already aware of them via the Schulze connection. I particularly enjoyed the flute and brass leads and the chimes.

Good work :)

Voltage Modular - just got hold of that on the back of your piece :) - impressed so far.

Very effective, gently evolving electronic soundscape - enjoyed it!
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

CrystalWizard wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:08 pm That's great. i like how understated much of it is.
Thanks for the comment!
"Some people don't like music created on a PC and declare it as "fake". I don't care. The only thing matters to me is the end result."

Rene Asologuitar wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:43 pm Feels like I am flying, and exploring!!!
This music is very engaging, and truly alive!!!
The beat after the intro is very nice, and the synth sounds are very cool.
This is a winner of a composition!!!
High quality recording!
Thanks for this.
Rene
Thank you! I'm glad it sparkled your imagination.

What you call Berlin school immediately and strongly reminds me of Isao Tomita´s works from the 80s. People should be more careful not to just include characteristics into something and to relate to "personal" origins that might be missguiding.

Nice though, but really ... Berlin spounded alcoholic and Lindenberg back then. LOL.

not much to say beyond "nailed it!"

very nice work indeed. 8)

seismic1 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:48 pm I loved the intro. It sounded like moving through underground caves towards a mysterious music source. I thought the main bass sequence was very reminiscent of some of Manuel Göttsching's work as Ashra in the mid/late '70s. If you haven't heard them already, try to listen to "New Age of Earth" or "Blackouts", although I'm sure you're already aware of them via the Schulze connection. I particularly enjoyed the flute and brass leads and the chimes.

Good work :)
Thanks!

I should check out the pieces you mentioned. I usually bounce from one music genre to another and it makes me a bit superficial in terms of material knowledge.

Very nice and according to your own description of what you wanted to achieve I think you succeded
perfectly.
And congrats with the third place :tu:
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

ChameleonMusic wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:36 am Voltage Modular - just got hold of that on the back of your piece :) - impressed so far.

Very effective, gently evolving electronic soundscape - enjoyed it!
Thank you for such kind of words.

Voltage Modular just does it's thing. The more I use it, the more it makes me feel like I don't need a hardware eurorack that would cost me a thusands of dollars. A bit CPU hungry though...

Great job! This really takes you on a journey.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

After being homeless on the street for nearly six years, I've slowly, but finally, began writing music again. No longer a rocker, my focus these days is ambient. Splendid tracks like these give me hope and encouragement that ambient, whether dark, noise, drone, Berlin School, or what have you, is alive and well and flourishing everywhere.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

Return to “Music Cafe”