The Studio Log - What Did You Do In The Studio

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What are these ‘studios’ you speak of?

Due to life on hold for nearly a year now, my gear is all boxed up in another country, except my laptop, bass and OP-Z, crammed in a with me in a shoebox.

Thus, for the past few Sundays I spend a few hours in a bar with my OP-Z and headphones. It’s such a great instrument, love jamming and sequencing with it. Goes well with a few beers in a bar.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:18 am What are these ‘studios’ you speak of?

Due to life on hold for nearly a year now, my gear is all boxed up in another country, except my laptop, bass and OP-Z, crammed in a with me in a shoebox.

Thus, for the past few Sundays I spend a few hours in a bar with my OP-Z and headphones. It’s such a great instrument, love jamming and sequencing with it. Goes well with a few beers in a bar.
I feel you on this. Best wishes on getting it all back to some state of "not on hold."

While trying out the new Brains FM models, I patched Pamela's pro workout triggers into places they probably shouldn't go just to listen to the clicks caused by the trigger edges ring the B.Roland filter a bit. Chips LFO reset was also triggered so that it acted more like a variable shape envelope with chaotic behavior as I manually morphed the wave. I also patched its output into the audio input of the filter. It gave me a lovely little two sound slow rhythmic dance as I played with the shape of the pulses and the filter controls. I really love the sound of the Roland-ish filter right before it goes into self-oscillation proper.

I didn't record it, I'll never hear it again. I was entranced for far too long, it would have made a record that only I would want to hear again. What can I say, Eurorack is still cheaper than a therapist.

ghettosynth wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:10 am

I feel you on this. Best wishes on getting it all back to some state of "not on hold."
Cheers man, doing my best to make it happen :)
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

First lyrics I’ve written in ages so started looking to write a new song then inevitably got sidetracked into some modular based nonsense that doesn’t seem to offer any structure to hang a vocal off.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Got two more song lyrics, but not worked on the music yet. Spent an hour dicking about on the Hydrasynth after upgrading it to the new v2.0 firmware. The individual voice modulation feature is pretty nice and I like that you now get quantisation as an option on all sorts like Envelopes, LFOs etc.

Are you safe?

Just having a fun time on the Digitakt after updating the firmware and syncing it up with the modular.
Feels like the Digitakt has some kind of magic dust in it that makes stuff sound better. Same samples in the DAW sounded lifeless.

Are you safe?

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:22 pm Just having a fun time on the Digitakt after updating the firmware and syncing it up with the modular.
Feels like the Digitakt has some kind of magic dust in it that makes stuff sound better. Same samples in the DAW sounded lifeless.
Someone on the Elektron boards suggested there’s some compression/limiting going on. They were addressing why there’s so much headroom using overbridge compared to recording via stereo outs.

I have not verified but sounds about right

Preparing for two up coming performances on March 25 and April 8. I'm going to be playing the Music Easel for both performances. Just short sets but it'll be fun.

What kind of music are you making with the Op-Z?

I need to wipe mine clean and start fresh. I have some interesting ideas, but the spark on those is gone. So time to move on

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:22 pm Feels like the Digitakt has some kind of magic dust in it that makes stuff sound better. Same samples in the DAW sounded lifeless.
OK, so I’m not the only one who thinks this and I’m not completely crazy. Good to know! :phew:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

elxsound wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:26 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:22 pm Just having a fun time on the Digitakt after updating the firmware and syncing it up with the modular.
Someone on the Elektron boards suggested there’s some compression/limiting going on. They were addressing why there’s so much headroom using overbridge compared to recording via stereo outs.

Yeah wouldn’t be surprised. I’d so love Elektron to make a mixer that uses Overbridge to bring 16 tracks of audio straight into the DAW with the magic dust added.

I think Elektron are eyeing a Digitakt Mk 2, got emailed a survey today about what attracted me to buy the Digitakt, how I use it now and what I’d like adding. No free text options though so pretty steered towards just saying what you want more of, audio or MIDI stuff.

Are you safe?

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:45 pm
elxsound wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:26 pm

Yeah wouldn’t be surprised. I’d so love Elektron to make a mixer that uses Overbridge to bring 16 tracks of audio straight into the DAW with the magic dust added.

I think Elektron are eyeing a Digitakt Mk 2, got emailed a survey today about what attracted me to buy the Digitakt, how I use it now and what I’d like adding. No free text options though so pretty steered towards just saying what you want more of, audio or MIDI stuff.
Did the same survey… I’m reminding myself over and over that a MKI is okay and good enough in anticipation of MKII release. :help:

Drum programming.

Put finishing touches on the next-to-last track for the current album project AND finished the last track. (I think... still need to listen to it with fresh ears to decide if something needs to be added (unlikely) or I need to cut the length (possibly) or something.)

tried a feedback loop thing because im easily influenced. some nice moments but some not so great.
but it stays up because life is not a box of chocolates.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”