A re-imagining of the opening theme music from "Racing Destruction Set"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

An electronic rock re-imagining of Dave Warhol's wonderful theme music from the popular computer slot racing game from 1985: Racing Destruction Set. Gripping spinouts, collisions, and spectacular end-over-end crashes galore. It's fast. It's funny. It's action-packed, and it could be yours. You pick your vehicle, its tires, and its engine size. You pick the track and its racing conditions. Then you put the pedal to the metal and go for it.

https://soundcloud.com/tonedef71/theme- ... uction-set
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

You are not lying.
This is fast-paced musical score.
I can imagine the scene you stated.
Very nice recording.
Rene

Rene Asologuitar wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:03 pmVery nice recording.
Rene
Thank you.

Here is a YouTube link to the original Commodore 64 music for "Racing Destruction Set":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq8smZ_3f84
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Lead synth could be more thick and phat and (spatially) massive, or vice versa - more chiptuned, with thicker guitars. As it's somewhere in between, it lacks something.
But the whole mix is pretty good, wide

Medvedium wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:26 am Lead synth could be more thick and phat and (spatially) massive, or vice versa - more chiptuned, with thicker guitars. As it's somewhere in between, it lacks something.
The electric organ on the right plays identical to the original chiptune, and the lead guitar on the right is loosely based on the original chiptune. The bass is a reduction derived from the original chiptune.

I had considered double-tracking the guitar (panning the tracks hard-left and hard-right) and placing the organ full out-front and center. Do you think that arrangement would sound fuller?

tonedef71 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:43 pm I had considered double-tracking the guitar (panning the tracks hard-left and hard-right) and placing the organ full out-front and center. Do you think that arrangement would sound fuller?
The track lacks low end, and sounds a bit thin...
Layering/doubling the guitar and putting the organ in center definitely would help,
but saying "thicker" I also meant solid bottom - much less lowcut on instruments and even maybe additional sub...
Organ was placed off the center probably for the soundtrack not to be distracting a gamer from the game, and translating energy at the same time... And now you have no actual game directly associated with your track, so the lead should act as the lead...
And other instruments too - they may sound alike as their ancestors, but also one should take in account modern environment and different goals of that track and this track

Medvedium wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:37 amThe track lacks low end, and sounds a bit thin...
Layering/doubling the guitar and putting the organ in center definitely would help,
but saying "thicker" I also meant solid bottom - much less lowcut on instruments and even maybe additional sub...
Thank you for the feedback. Based on your suggestions, I made a few adjustments to the mix, and it does sound better.

Yeah, sounds much better now!

Only I'd recommend to balance the low end a bit - some eq-ing and 0.5-1 db down to sort out some mud and give the bass some clarity would be okay imho.

But nevertheless the track sounds more full, alive, integral now )

Medvedium wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:20 am Yeah, sounds much better now!

Only I'd recommend to balance the low end a bit - some eq-ing and 0.5-1 db down to sort out some mud and give the bass some clarity would be okay imho.

But nevertheless the track sounds more full, alive, integral now )
Thanks for the additional feedback. I tweaked it again; hopefully the bass sounds a bit smoother now.

Return to “Music Cafe”