NI Komplete 14

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:38 pm
Serhii Kot wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:13 pm I am glad that they added preview for sounds in Kontakt, like in Komplete Kontrtol. Very useful.
Is it possible to automatically create previews for user libraries?
Probably not, or I can not find how to do it.

Yeah, but I believe that's how Kontakt has always been? I believe it may be a lot more difficult to do the same with Kontakt?

I started with Kontakt 5, which I used the most. I haven't used Kontakt 6 much, partly because I use some instruments directly from within Komplete Kontrol.

I hope NI can take a look at this though. But personally speaking, not a big deal as of now.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:24 pm
m-ac wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:02 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:04 pm All good I guess? :)
Not really, that means I'll have to keep K6 installed because NI in their infinite wisdom would assume I want two versions of kontakt installed.
Okay, but I think there are pros and cons of either IMO.
I can't off the top of my head think of any pro's, but I suppose there may be one or two for some obscure setup that someone is running!

A huge con is for those running templates, we now have to go through every single track and update them to use kontakt 7. Bbear in mind some people's templates are hundreds or even thousands of tracks. :help:

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:06 pm Yeah, but I believe that's how Kontakt has always been? I believe it may be a lot more difficult to do the same with Kontakt?
I think we all hoped that the fact they dropped the '6' off kontakt 6 meant they would update kontakt versions a bit more seamlessly. Seems they've U-turned for no apparent reason though and added the version number back in. Yay, way to go NI!

m-ac wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:09 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:24 pm
m-ac wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:02 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:04 pm All good I guess? :)
Not really, that means I'll have to keep K6 installed because NI in their infinite wisdom would assume I want two versions of kontakt installed.
Okay, but I think there are pros and cons of either IMO.
I can't off the top of my head think of any pro's, but I suppose there may be one or two for some obscure setup that someone is running!

A huge con is for those running templates, we now have to go through every single track and update them to use kontakt 7. Bbear in mind some people's templates are hundreds or even thousands of tracks. :help:
I get it, but it is not necessary to do so. You can continue using those templates and just add Kontakt 7 as and when needed. But of course, it's based on individual needs, so some may face annoyance.

m-ac wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:12 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:06 pm Yeah, but I believe that's how Kontakt has always been? I believe it may be a lot more difficult to do the same with Kontakt?
I think we all hoped that the fact they dropped the '6' off kontakt 6 meant they would update kontakt versions a bit more seamlessly. Seems they've U-turned for no apparent reason though and added the version number back in. Yay, way to go NI!
Yes, I agree. It did come as a surprise. Not sure why they changed their mind.

Wait, so Kontakt 7 plugin is actually called Kontakt 7.vst3 instead of just Kontakt.VST3? Half the reason I upgraded the last one was because they removed the number for Kontakt 6 and just called it Kontakt.VST3, so that I wouldn't have to replace them or keep old copies in the future. They didn't seriously put the number back did they?

m-ac wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:12 pm
This!!!!
rsp
sound sculptist

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:37 pm Wait, so Kontakt 7 plugin is actually called Kontakt 7.vst3 instead of just Kontakt.VST3? Half the reason I upgraded the last one was because they removed the number for Kontakt 6 and just called it Kontakt.VST3, so that I wouldn't have to replace them or keep old copies in the future. They didn't seriously put the number back did they?
Yep they did.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:33 pm But what are the pros?
If you are a library developer, you may want to have previous versions available. Not everyone is going to have the latest version of Kontakt, and being able to create for older versions will make your product accessible to potential users who have not updated yet.
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

zvenx wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:39 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:37 pm Wait, so Kontakt 7 plugin is actually called Kontakt 7.vst3 instead of just Kontakt.VST3? Half the reason I upgraded the last one was because they removed the number for Kontakt 6 and just called it Kontakt.VST3, so that I wouldn't have to replace them or keep old copies in the future. They didn't seriously put the number back did they?
Yep they did.
rsp
But, did they keep the same plugin ID ? Because that's all that matters for backwards compatibility.
More BPM please

mumpcake wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:45 pm
If you are a library developer, you may want to have previous versions available. Not everyone is going to have the latest version of Kontakt, and being able to create for older versions will make your product accessible to potential users who have not updated yet.

True, Maybe a Save As option would solve this?
rsp
sound sculptist

dionenoid wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:45 pm
zvenx wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:39 pm
Yep they did.
rsp
But, did they keep the same plugin ID ? Because that's all that matters for backwards compatibility.
nope.. they didn't.
Currently Cubendo sees it as a completely different plugin.
rsp
sound sculptist

mumpcake wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:45 pm
Also I am curious how far back do you go?
do you create for Kontakt 4, 5,6, 6.5 all of the them?
rsp
sound sculptist

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:26 pm
m-ac wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:09 pm A huge con is for those running templates, we now have to go through every single track and update them to use kontakt 7. Bbear in mind some people's templates are hundreds or even thousands of tracks. :help:
I get it, but it is not necessary to do so. You can continue using those templates and just add Kontakt 7 as and when needed. But of course, it's based on individual needs, so some may face annoyance.
Yeah, this is why people end up with tons of versions of Kontakt on their system. Then the older ones start playing up with newer OSs at some stage. All a PITA - I agree that I was hoping the numbers had gone for good with Kontakt 6 (otherwise known as “Kontakt”).

That was a nice preview video above. The browser looks promising, but I really want to see how it handles third party stuff. The new UIs being resizable… well yeah, in as much as you can make the edges bigger and smaller, but the UI itself stays the same, either with bits hidden or pointless borders. Also they’re even BIGGER than the BIG interfaces they introduced in 6, meaning - as the video well shows - you can usually only see 1 thing at a time.

Questionable to call all this progress really. For me it’s all down to the third party library implementation, unless that’s really slick (c’mon, let us import the library images too) it’s another terribly disappointing release.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Return to “Instruments”