Trackball or Mouse?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Best setup for me by far ergonomically is laptop keyboard & touchpad, no external pointing devices. I had tendon issues using mouse or trackball after a while. Plus it lets me type really fast and use the same setup sitting or standing.

I was getting pain after gaming too much with the mouse, so I switched to trackball a few months ago, so far it has been great for Tendinitis i was developing, too much tension in all my arm.

I have adapted well but I think the main problem is that trackballs don't have the level of refinement of gaming mouse. I am using the kesington expert mouse and while moving the pointer is good enough scrolling sucks, the ring "steps" are way to big or too slow compared to what I had in my g900 logitech mouse, also vertical scrolling requires a modifier key and excel doesn't respond well to it, again too big "steps".

They need to refine the response of the devices, better acceleration sensitivity, I also find the button disposition for the right click not very comfortable out of the box, I exchanged to top right instead of bottom left. Problem is that they are not very popular so I doubt any company will put resources towards improving the design.
dedication to flying

Trackball for me.

trackball
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Logictech MX Master 3. Really great piece of kit. Huge step up from what I was using.

Magic mouse does the trick for me.

I hate the magic mouse and multi-touch mice, and I'll suffer through trackpads. But for me Logitech gaming mouse all the way. Been using a G500 for years and revived the current one many times. When it dies I will find a replacement on Ebay. Never found a better pointing device. Though I understand trackballs are good for people who experience wrist pain when using a mouse.

It’s funny. It took Apple 22 years to crawl out of the dark ages with their one button mice.

Then, the release of the first Magic Mouse, which as mice went, wasn’t a bad design. Comfortable, clickable 3rd button in a mini-trackball and standard left-right clicks. Problem was, the trackballs clogged easily and disassembling one to properly clean was a genuine PITA.

Four years later, they put out the Magic Mouse 2, sort of combining a track pad and mouse onto a single flat surface. Personally, this arrangement was (and still is) a nightmare to operate efficiently, IMO.

I really liked their mini trackball in the original Magic Mouse and became proficient in disassembling and cleaning them…and managed to keep a few running all the way up to 2020, when they finally became unrepairable from too many disassemblies and cleaning.

I wound up buying a couple of Logitech MX Master 3’s. No track ball, but a pair of scroll wheels which only took a day to get used to. One thing surprising about the Logitech is its ability to hold a charge for almost a month of daily use before it requires being tethered for charging. The thing I like the most is its non-fatiguing comfortable grip and seven programmable buttons.
On a number of Macs

I bought this asus laptop 18 months ago (give or take), one of my dedicated DAWs was an ASUS and I liked it...this one has a touchpad that is...well it should never be and I will never ever buy from this company again as their support has been shit.

You have little control, the cursor moves on you just before you tap, sometime using one finger it thinks it's two or three fingers and you get that stuff instead...doing things like DAW work or photo editing is absolutely impossible with this, of course I am using another mouse (just a basic trendnet wireless mouse) but this touchpad is the worst possible...useless.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I'm very happy with my Logitech G403.

Don't buy something cheaper from Logitech though... notorious issues with the switches. They build in the cheapest 5 Cent switches in their cheaper mice, G203 and G302, for example. The ones in the G403 and G703 are MUCH more durable (and probably cost them 2 or 3 Cents more in purchasing department). G203 and G302 switches will break after a few months to a year.

zerocrossing wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:45 pm Kensington Expert Mouse. You’ll thank me later.
What's so great about these?

Trackball for the win! Yes accuracy and less movement.
It won't take long to get comfortable.

If you use a Mac, then I would choose a Magic Trackpad.

Many years with a trackball. I had plenty of trackballs from kensington. Now I am using Logitech MX Ergo. Like it a lot.

trackball
though... There's somethin' to say 'bout that...
There's not a great difference among a mouse and any other one, ...definitely not the same thing for trackballs... a TB with ball placed on the left is not the same than one with ball placed in central position. A small ball is not the same than a bigger one...
IN MY OPINION...
best trackball ever was...
Trackman Marble FX by Logitech
unluckily 'twas a PS2 model.
I think there will never be a better one.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”