25GB Reason folder???

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been having storage space issues with my laptop, and I've just found that a folder in AppData/Local named 'Reason' is 25GB in size! What is taking up so much space and is there any way I can reduce/delete it without potentially messing up Reason?

Not sure why Reason would store the files differently on your system, but in my case it's AppData/Roaming/Propellerhead Software, where there are a couple of subdirectories like "Packs", containing sound packs obtainer through the Reason+ subscription, and "RackExtensions", containing all the Rack Extension (devices). Together both of these are 105 GB on my system.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Maybe your scratch disk folder is in there which is where all your recordings and audio file imports go. How many hard drives have you got? If you’ve got 2 then you could move the scratch disk folder to the other drive and point to the new location from within the Reason preferences.

Satch1 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:05 pm Maybe your scratch disk folder is in there which is where all your recordings and audio file imports go. How many hard drives have you got? If you’ve got 2 then you could move the scratch disk folder to the other drive and point to the new location from within the Reason preferences.
I have to be honest, I am completely computer-illiterate so I have no idea what a scratch disk folder is :? I do have a second drive (~900GB) but I'm not sure about moving anything just yet; will deleting the existing folder have any negative effects.

starflakeprj wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:57 pm Not sure why Reason would store the files differently on your system, but in my case it's AppData/Roaming/Propellerhead Software, where there are a couple of subdirectories like "Packs", containing sound packs obtainer through the Reason+ subscription, and "RackExtensions", containing all the Rack Extension (devices). Together both of these are 105 GB on my system.
I do have that folder as well, this is a separate one under AppData/Local/Propellerhead Software/Reason/[laptop name] with a bunch of 'cachemanager' files amounting to 25GB.

TW1306 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:09 pm
Satch1 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:05 pm Maybe your scratch disk folder is in there which is where all your recordings and audio file imports go. How many hard drives have you got? If you’ve got 2 then you could move the scratch disk folder to the other drive and point to the new location from within the Reason preferences.
I have to be honest, I am completely computer-illiterate so I have no idea what a scratch disk folder is :? I do have a second drive (~900GB) but I'm not sure about moving anything just yet; will deleting the existing folder have any negative effects.
In the Reason preferences there’s a Folders tab. In there you can choose a scratch disk folder location. The scratch disk folder is where data and audio files are stored. If you don’t set a custom location then the default location will be used. I’ve just found out that this is in the System temp folder though, which I don’t think is the folder you are talking about. So probably not the reason for the large size. Could be cache files like in the other folder.

I’m not sure but I think the cache files can be deleted. Somebody in the know will need to confirm this though.

My Reason 12 folder is 77 mb, scratch is 5gb. :lol:

It's all the stock content that you installed. Its i stalled to the system drive and you can't change the default.

Akai MPC does the same.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

Trensharo wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:53 pm It's all the stock content that you installed. Its i stalled to the system drive and you can't change the default.

Akai MPC does the same.
Well, I've done some googling and other people suggest it's a 'cache' of sorts and can be deleted/moved, I've done that and Reason is still working just fine.

TW1306 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:36 pm
Trensharo wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:53 pm It's all the stock content that you installed. Its i stalled to the system drive and you can't change the default.

Akai MPC does the same.
Well, I've done some googling and other people suggest it's a 'cache' of sorts and can be deleted/moved, I've done that and Reason is still working just fine.
While I don´t understand why people let themselves being restricted by some companies...

Move the folders to any place you like, create hardlinks to the original location and done...
Isn´t so hard to do and once setup they stay there forever if you want so...

Trancit wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:16 pm I don´t understand why people let themselves being restricted by some companies...

Move the folders to any place you like, create hardlinks to the original location and done...
Because the OP admitted:
TW1306 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:09 pm I have to be honest, I am completely computer-illiterate
So there is a huge portion of users that find doing the steps you described far beyond their abilities.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:22 pm
Trancit wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:16 pm I don´t understand why people let themselves being restricted by some companies...

Because the OP admitted:
TW1306 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:09 pm I have to be honest, I am completely computer-illiterate
So there is a huge portion of users that find doing the steps you described far beyond their abilities.
Then it´s perhaps time to invest some time into learning the basics... 8)

Trancit wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:18 am

Because the OP admitted:
Well, you can start by learning there is no hard links for directories, you will need to create a symbolic link 😁
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:25 am
Trancit wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:18 am

Because the OP admitted:
Well, you can start by learning there is no hard links for directories, you will need to create a symbolic link 😁
And in turn, you can start by learning that he doesnt need to create a symbolic link for a folder, he can create a junction point instead. ;)
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”