We Need a Stripped Down Version! RC 4.4.2 2022

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm new to RC. So, I looked for something to give me a basic working understanding of RC. The latest video I could find was RapidComposer4 Start Here by 41 Fingers. I love the name!

This was very good, but I soon realised that RC has so many options available that it was overwhelming!

I'm a keyboard player, playing basically in 8 keys, working with chord progressions and producing melodies for songs, as we all are.

I do think that RC has excellent potential and could be a great asset to anyone like me. However, we need a stripped-down series of videos/tutorials on each aspect.

I've only looked at the Composition and still don't know how to really get the benefit of it.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Has anyone else produced tutorials looking at each aspect of RC?

I went back to the dedicated videos by Gene Brown, and these again cover so much!

I noticed that RC in the Video was not the RC I saw on my Mac. The GUI is different. I think he was using windows, so is this the reason for the difference?

It is obvious that the creator has excellent knowledge and I'm sure understands everything regarding RC. However, we mortals need the option of a stripped-down version that offers the basic starting blocks and limited options. The vast array of options now available are for a much later stage! In my humble opinion!

I hope someone can help. As a teacher, I would love to create some short, dedicated tutorials on using each aspect of RC, but I guess I need help understanding it first!
Many thanks for reading this post!
I'm always in need of your :help: and so grateful for your reply :tu:
Apple Mac M1 Pro - Logic Pro 10.7.4 - RC 4.4.2 2022

hey, and welcome..

Yea, unfortunately, I haven't been able to do any videos other than the ones I already have done, shown on the support page of the web site.

The videos using the old RC, although the UI looks different, actually still apply for how most of RC works. It just may look a little different.. but, the concepts are still the same..

You are also welcome to just ask questions here, or for a really good look at composing something, watch Michael Round's videos.. (Mykyndryd_) located in the tips and tricks area of the forum..

viewforum.php?f=285

Hi BluGenes and thanks for the prompt reply!

I started looking at the older videos by Chris Caulder.

I couldn't find Michael Round's videos. I've checked out the Chris Brown ones. Which are very good, but so much in them.... if you know what I mean!?

I'm just looking a one step approach. Something to try, and then try again and repeat until i know how it works fully. Then move on to the next step.

Any idea why the GUI is different in RC? I have the latest RC?

Hi AlfieChurch,

welcome to this forum! :)
It is a difficult challenge to present a user interface that shows as much as you need but hides other details.
The UI was completely rewritten from version1 to v2, from v2 to v3, and from v3 to v4. Lately I receive less (almost none!) criticism about the UI which is a good sign. I am not saying it is perfect though.
The basic idea is right-clicking on almost anything will open an inspector with properties and actions.

RapidComposer is more complex than working in a DAW. Here notes have additional qualities and settings, they are not just MIDI notes. Rhythm and notes can be separately edited or generated for phrase generators, and the way the non-destructive variations work also differs from other software. All these have been implemented for flexibility (not to annoy new users ;) ) but these also mean added complexity.

I also recommend Michael Round's excellent narrated videos. The way he uses the phrase generators is amazing: http://www.musicdevelopments.com/uservideos3.html

Thanks!
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Hi MD, and thanks for the reply. Much appreciated!

I'm working my way through the videos now! Michael's work does show the potential and his skill with RC.

I'm an Apple user, so not really into reading User Manuals as most are written by those that know but don't know how to pass the information on to those that don't! If you know what I mean?

However, I decided to look at your User Manual, and I was pleasantly surprised. There is a lot in there, but even I could work my way through it!

I'm now using the manual to try and use RC to develop songs as I do. Typically, I play this chord, then that chord and come up with a progression I like, between 4 and 8 bars. I then hum along, sing and try to come up with a melody idea. When happy with this, I can move on to using logic to build the piece into its component parts; intro, verse, chorus etc.

I want to see how much of this I can do without making changes to RC. Just take it out of the box and set it to work. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Last year I did a charity event challenge to raise money and awareness of Dementia. The challenge was for the Alzheimer's Society. I learnt, sang and recorded a song a day in 2021. It was so successful that they have asked me to do another challenge next year. The challenge was to write an original piece. This was then increased to an original song for every week of 2023.

I'm a 68-year-old disabled wheelchair user, profoundly deaf and now diagnosed with Dementia. This is the reason for the challenge. So, I'm certainly in need of help if I take on the challenge, and I'm hoping that RC is just the composing companion I need.

Many thanks again, and please stay safe and well!

Please keep up the great work you're doing!

The Demented Road Studios (A Song A Day for 2021)
https://thedrs.uk/category/songs-from-t ... d-studios/

This link is were I was pointing Michael Round's videos to.. but has a lot of great info too.

viewforum.php?f=285

Hi and thanks for that... been watching and trying to follow along, but having problems. There is a differnce between Michaels RC and mine. I've just left a message for him about this. So frustrating!

Message;

Hi Michael.

Great video, but I can't follow along with the latest version of RC.

I'm trying to use the Manual and following you.

Here a few of the differences and problems.

1 Draging Phrase only adds that phrase to one chord at a time?
2 Double Click on Phrase takes me straight to the Phrase Editor.
3 When I Right Click on phrase in Composition, I can not use the Generator option. I can only work on one chord at a time?

I like your style and presentation and you obviously know what you're talking about, but it is so frustrating!

There seems to be a mismatch. Any ideas?

I'm using Mac M1. Logic Pro X although, short cuts cause RC to crash, so using RC as Standalone.

Return to “MusicDevelopments”