Why is Phrase Editor so buggy!?

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Adding phrases with Rapid Composer 4 isn't as straightforward as it should or could be. Something is not right!

As it states in the Manual:
The basic unit of composition is a Phrase, which is a sequence of notes and/or chords (i.e. notes in parallel). Most commonly, phrases are created and extensively manipulated by using rhythm and phrase generators.
Here is a quick video where I try to use a Phrase Generator to add a Phrase to a Chord Progression. I then try and edit that Phrase using the Phrase Editor.

As this is the core and basic unit of RC, I expected a straightforward, easy and intuitive sequence of steps to follow.

https://youtu.be/yfKp8H3s8wI

I think there should be one method of using the Phrase Generators, which gives us users a sure way to edit them. I've found several ways, but none seem to provide any certainty of working correctly.

Please let me and the developers know your thoughts.
Many thanks for reading this post!
I'm always in need of your :help: and so grateful for your reply :tu:
Apple Mac M1 Pro - Logic Pro 10.7.4 - RC 4.4.2 2022

I've just noticed that when I've dragged the Generator into the Track Title Bar... each chord in the Phrase has the individual icons above them; Magnet, Lock, Mute and Lightening. Whereas, in the part where I click on the Track Title Bar and click H, there is only one set of icons above the whole Phrase.

So the first method appears to add four individual phrases, which the Editor can not edit.
Screenshot 2022-08-03 at 5.46.14 pm.png

In contrast, the H method seems to produce just one Phrase.
Screenshot 2022-08-03 at 5.47.16 pm.png
Must something be different in the settings or algorithm?

If you click on a Generator and use the Insert option, this does something different again. I've been told this is not useable at the moment.

To move on with RC, I need a sure and stable method of getting the Generator to produce a Phrase that will follow the whole progression. Then be able to edit that generated Phrase.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Many thanks for reading this post!
I'm always in need of your :help: and so grateful for your reply :tu:
Apple Mac M1 Pro - Logic Pro 10.7.4 - RC 4.4.2 2022

Editing is not buggy, please do not use a misleading topic title.

If you have more than one phrases selected, certain properties (e.g. rhythm generator, phrase generator) cannot be edited. Only common phrase properties are allowed to be edited for multiple selection. This is because you can select two different phrase generators, which one should be allowed to be edited?

When you drop a phrase on the track header, the track will be filled with MULTIPLE phrases.
However when you press 'H' a SINGLE 'chord' phrase is added.

Clicking on the background will deselect all phrases. Then you can select the one to be edited.
Also, it is possible to use 'ghost' copies. This way editing the original phrase will also reflect in the ghost copies.

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

For anyone new to RC that has difficulty using some of the generators or features to get the results they want, here's a video with some great tips to make your bass Lines an essentially your melodies more interesting.

This video will demonstrate how different note lengths and adding rests in between notes make a big difference.

Hope this helps some of you

https://youtu.be/lz4X8MaMvKc

Return to “MusicDevelopments”