Galanti semi acoustic

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is a long shot i know how rare these guitars. I recently found one of these sitting in the back of a secondhand shop all dusty and looking sad. Someone had really bodged this guitar the tailpeice was completely sheared it,s L shaped. And someone used what looks like a valve spring to take up the slack so it kinda still worked. Now i have the tailpiece fixed the valve spring? is way to big. I am looking for a picture of what size spring was originally fitted. I can only find pictures of it no schmeatics. Any help would be most appreciated :tu:

Nice find! I used to be an avid collector of 60's Italian made guitars. Unfortunately both they and the MIJ '60's guitars, (which I also have a soft spot for), have very little info about them still floating around. The late '60's was a frenzied period for these makers and it was all they could do to keep up with the huge demand created by the British Invasion bands.
Record keeping was not a real high priority.

What's really crazy tho, IMHO, is that these guitars used to be had for very little $. Now that they are "rare and vintage" some are selling for silly money. I'm more of a player than a collector and I can't bring myself to pay $500 for a guitar that plays like $50.....LOL!! :lol:

Best of luck with your new find! :D
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

This one was a wall hanger for many decades. So apart from the broken tailpiece it is really good nick. Apart from the tuning which seems to wander but new tuning pegs will sort that out. Not sure what would be the best to buy. Any recommendations would be most welcome

Any sealed gear tuners would likely be a vast improvement over what's currently on there.
These can be had cheap on fleabay. If you want to spend a bit more, I'm a fan of Grovers myself. One consideration.....I'm guessing you probably scored Grand Prix or similar strat kinda model as most Galantis fall into this category. They did make some large hollowbody Gisbson style jazz boxes. The important thing is balance! Since the tuners currently on there are probably open gear with plastic buttons they are probably quite light.

If you use tuners with full size metal buttons it can make the headstock too heavy causing it to constantly nose dive.....which REALLY suck. Fortunately many makers, (including Grover), offer tuners with mini buttons which can help alleviate this problem.

Best of Luck!

Cheers......CL :clown:

Its the semi acoustic i got yes it has clear tuning pegs looks like from an acoustic. i would have never guessed about the nosedive thing. I will certainly keep that in mind. I have always wanted a 60,s guitar but the American guitars are stupid money. As long as it 60,s it,s playable with a bit of work and looks good. The Galanti ticks all the boxes it has a nice tone and sustain and it,s nice to play love the head stock design, necks straight. Thank you for your advice most appreciated.

Very cool! The semi hollow models are quite a bit more rare than the solidbody Strat types.
Also being a larger semi-hollow model lessens the likely hood of the "nose dive" issue.
Back when I used to buy and sell a lot of 60's Japanese and Italian guitars it was nice to find them in mint condition but more fun to get them already a bit torn up as this allows you to mod, (Frankenstein!), them to your own taste without harming the vintage value. They are usually a LOT more playable after a few upgrades....but still retain that vintage mojo. Keep us updated!
I'd love to see some pics...... :D

Return to “Guitars”