TAL Sampler 4, new look - free update!

Official support for: tal-software.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EmptyVessel wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:50 am
fladd wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:04 pm Works fine here with the current version 4.1.7 (listed as 4.1.8 on the web site)
Florian, I think I edited your post in the mistaken thought that it was mine (they're very similar), I didn't know that I could do that as admin of this area. Es tut mir Leid
Okay...so for me it also says 4.1.8 in the plugin itself. Not sure why you would refer to it as 4.1.7...

Hi all,

Having used version 3.7 extensively, I'd like to express my concerns. Most significantly, in 3.7 I could down-arrow through the patches, same as samples. This appears to be missing from version 4 and I HATE the need to double-mouse-click each patch to audition. Also missing, the top level sample loop start / end buttons and the fade knob. I used these extensively for tweaking.

As many others have stated, I feel version 4 GUI would benefit from tweaking. I would prefer the mod matrix be tabbed in its frame (versus scrolled), but the envelopes be expanded into their current frame. I'd also prefer the effects be moved (and all visible at once) as an additional tab on the browser frame: [PRESETS|SAMPLES|EFFECTS]. Also, the keyboard was useful for showing sample mapping range; and could be much more useful in the future as pastel color-coded multi-sample range, a means to select ROOT,LOW,HIGH, and to select the multi-sample currently displayed on the top level sample editor frame

Finally, I'd like to see unipolar keytrack knobs on *all* the filters (why is the main filter keytrack bipolar?). Keytrack cannot easily be simulated in the mod matrix, as picking settings for both the filter cutoff and the mod matrix cuttoff->KEYB amount is fidgety and does not meet expectations.

While I'm at it, a feature request -- first the context for it. I often want to loop the tail end of a one shot (like a piano key or guitar string); but since the sound is fading away, the loop region creates an unwanted, pitch-dependant wah-wah effect. This can EASILY be resolved! I've tested the method manually, and it works as expected.

It can be resolved with a 'bi-directional ping pong' mode. The implimentation involves the software duplicating the layer, halving the volume, and in the duplicate reverseing the loop start / end positions. When the played note reaches the ping-pong loop start, one instance moves from loop start forward and the other instance from loop end backward. This removes the wah-wah effect giving the looped region constant volume; so you can for instance maintain the sample's attack and also set a pitch independant fade out with the amp envelope.

EmptyVessel wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:39 am hmm I wonder if tabs for the matrix would just feel disjointed even more, I suppose it kinda follows the env 1, env 2 separation idea. Matrix 1, matrix 2. At least with the scroll bar I can quickly look for what modulation is mapped where and it's easily extensible. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Looking at the interface now I was unable to think of a better (more logical) location for the resample controls and planned to just get used to where they are. Any specific thoughts on where you think makes more sense or improves the workflow?
Hey Empty Vessel, since you are sending word back to Patrick, Can you ask him to change the labeling from ENV 1, ENV 2, ENV 3 to ENV 1/AMP, ENV 2/VCF, ENV 3/MOD on the tabs? It makes more sense to specifically name what the envelopes do. :) Thanks!
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

PTV wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:51 pm Two features from TAL-Drum I wish to see in TAL-Sampler:

1. automatic slicing of samples by transients
2. stretching loops to host tempo

And one feature I wish for both TAL-Drum & Sampler: Rex file support

Cheers!
These would be fantastic features!!! Especially stretching loops to host tempo! (although, I would like the stretching to host tempo to not affect the pitch unless wanted). :)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

How is MPE on this?

Are there only 2 parameters available?

I’m thinking of buying it for MPE use but there’s next to nothing about MPE in the manual.

simmo75 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:26 pm How is MPE on this?

I’m thinking of buying it for MPE use but there’s next to nothing about MPE in the manual.
I don't have any experience using MPE but just commenting to say you may be better to start a new thread for this since it's not really related to the v4 visual update and you would likely get more answers in a separate thread.
emptyvessel
Professional sound design for manufacturers and composers
Sound Designer @ Novation.TAL.Arturia.UnfilteredAudio.Kilohearts.PaulHaslinger(composer).Tritik.Xils.AEModular.
https://store.emptyvessel.co.nz/

EmptyVessel wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:27 am
simmo75 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:26 pm How is MPE on this?

I don't have any experience using MPE but just commenting to say you may be better to start a new thread for this since it's not really related to the v4 visual update and you would likely get more answers in a separate thread.
Thanks.

pummel wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:23 pm Hi all,

Having used version 3.7 extensively, I'd like to express my concerns. Most significantly, in 3.7 I could down-arrow through the patches, same as samples. This appears to be missing from version 4 and I HATE the need to double-mouse-click each patch to audition.
I've just tested this and it works fine, select a preset and then use the arrow up/down navigates through the preset list - hold shift and hit right arrow to load the preset. Let me know if it's not the case for you still.
emptyvessel
Sound Designer @ Novation.TAL.Arturia.UnfilteredAudio.Kilohearts.PaulHaslinger(composer).Tritik.Xils.AEModular.

I think removing the loop fade from the front page UI was a bad idea. I really liked having loop start/end as well as fade on the main page as those are the primary controls you need when setting a loop. Now with the new design, to make a fade you have to go into the full big screen waveform view? Come on, it was better before.

yeah it makes sense to have it, I agree. There is space. Added to the request list.
emptyvessel

How do you set a layer so that, on midi note off, it exits the loop and plays the remainder of the sample?

pummel wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:58 pm How do you set a layer so that, on midi note off, it exits the loop and plays the remainder of the sample?
Try ONE SHOT in the master section. Not sure if that disables looping but hopefully it’ll loop until you release the key.

hmm no, one shot bypasses the envelope and just plays the sample start to finish, if you have looping on it will actually loop forever. I wonder if that's how it should be, I'll check in with Patrick since it makes more sense for one-shot to disable looping.
I feel sure we used to have a "loop in release" toggle, if you turned it off it would play out to the end of the sample on key release rather than looping in the release phase. I use a few samplers though so I'm possibly remembering that incorrectly.
It's definitely a feature I'd use too so I'll talk to Patrick about it. Thanks.
emptyvessel

EmptyVessel wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:23 pm hmm no, one shot bypasses the envelope and just plays the sample start to finish, if you have looping on it will actually loop forever. I wonder if that's how it should be, I'll check in with Patrick since it makes more sense for one-shot to disable looping.
I feel sure we used to have a "loop in release" toggle, if you turned it off it would play out to the end of the sample on key release rather than looping in the release phase. I use a few samplers though so I'm possibly remembering that incorrectly.
It's definitely a feature I'd use too so I'll talk to Patrick about it. Thanks.
Yes, it makes total sense to have this feature....but.....I could have sworn that we DID have this feature in the past....

Return to “TAL Software”