Decapitator: Is it really the bees knees?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Two other good free options are BPB saturator and Kilohearts Distortion. Within SnapHeap you can really build a flexible saturation setup with there other free snap-ins.

:hyper:
briefcasemanx wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:10 pm Does anyone else categorize different saturation plugs as "hard" or "soft" sounding?

A lot of times I tend to use "softer" sounding plugs on sources that already sound very strident if I want to mellow them out a bit at the same time as give them more character.

I tend to use "harder" sounding saturation plugs on sources that I want to stand out in the mix while getting more character.

Yes. To me Saturn has a soft sound. It can sound hard but not by default. Most of its distortions are smooth/dark by default.

One tip that helps though is to use input knob instead of drive as it works closer to other harder distortion boxes that way.

Stuff like Trash has a bitier sound. And those don't tend to do subtle and soft as well.

Saturn is one of my favorites for subtle saturation though,

To me you can't beat putting your arse in a bucket of water and ripping out a huge fart, you can boost or attenuate to taste if you like, but it gets nice saturation as it travels through the water, which of course changes with the gain level you have chosen to rip it with. The results when you run it through Plugin Doctor are something to be seen, you want to see, or hear aliarsing? you'll find no better. Found on many shit records throughout the years.

Sometimes you might get a bit of 'follow through' which Plugin Doctor handles in its stride, as that's its main function, BS.
Say NO to CLAP!

Someone forgot to take their meds...

jinotsuh wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:59 am To me you can't beat putting your arse in a bucket of water and ripping out a huge fart, you can boost or attenuate to taste if you like, but it gets nice saturation as it travels through the water, which of course changes with the gain level you have chosen to rip it with. The results when you run it through Plugin Doctor are something to be seen, you want to see, or hear aliarsing? you'll find no better. Found on many shit records throughout the years.

Sometimes you might get a bit of 'follow through' which Plugin Doctor handles in its stride, as that's its main function, BS.
LMAO :lol:

As for saturation plugins, lately my favourite has been Overloud COMP670. Beautiful coloring box with a compressor thrown in as a bonus. 8)

Return to “Effects”