Stereoizing mono content, tips, techniques?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Besides the obvious one, find a similar sample and pan them oppsite, what other methods and plugins do you guys use? I am mostly thinking about sample based music, where if all you have is mono recordings.

From plugin side all i know is the PSP stereopack, which i like as it still sounds good in mono.

You can get PA bx_stereomaker ($19.99) for free with code BOOM-20-OFF today.
Link: https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... maker.html

The bx_stereomaker is a frequency-optimized M/S upmixing plugin that converts ANY mono signal to stereo, while keeping them 100% mono-compatible!

Tons of plugins out there for doing it. In fact, have a read of this thread :
viewtopic.php?t=587378
and maybe get one of the commercial Plugin Alliance ones for free... There are at least three fit the bill (bx_stereomaker, Stage, Mono Upmix) that are currently priced under $20 so free with that voucher code today.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Got the bx_stereomaker with the code, much appreciated!

Haas effect, opposite EQ processing, delays, reverbs, different side processing (2 different saturation types, for example).

NOTE: Please always check mono compatibility when doing these types of tricks, as they may create correlation problems.

On top of 'stereorizer' type plugins, a slap delay at 1/32 or 1/64 time should give you a subtle but pleasing effect. Sometimes you don't want 100% of the L/R space filled, but want to thicken the sound up a little bit. Works great for vocals especially.

Nugen Stereoplacer (the scaled down elements version of on sale now for $24).
https://nugenaudio.com/stereoplacer-elements
Nugen Stereoizer (the scaled down elements version of on sale now for $24).
https://nugenaudio.com/stereoizer-elements
Both maintain mono compatibility. I have the full versions only because when I bought them years ago the cheaper elements versions weren't out.

I'm a big fan of using chorus and stereoizers modeled from analog equipment. TAL has a fantastic Juno 60 Chorus for free, Arturia has a version of this as well as a Roland Dimension D.

Nothing sounds cheaper than fake pseudo stereo from a "stereoizer plug in"

1) Be judicious and tasteful.
2) Check mono compatibility.
3) If mono compatibility is ok, is the stereo effect ok ? Too many of such sources
makes a stereo image sound cheap and fake and phasey/demo quality.

Make final judgements on actual speakers as headphones are very poor at revealing L/R phase issues.

Consider chorus as suggested, ping pong delay, reverb as well, using multiple options in very small amounts is better than just one thing usually, small amounts and just do not over do it.

I always feel with specific stereo-izer plug ins that you should just about sense it is pseudo stereo after processing. Otherwise it 99pct of the time just sounds like too much.

When listening in mono consider how the sides of the image collapse to mono. If it sounds extreme it is too much. Also consider the tonality of the sound between mono and stereo and if it drops a lot in mono. If so it's too much.

If you are unsure back whatever it is off by 35pct as a rule of thumb. Super easy to over do and sound super cheap.

Return to “Production Techniques”