Sugar Bytes Graindad - new realtime granular FX

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

“Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself.” -Miles Davis

a pad with a bell on top.
so amazing
🇷🇺

greententacle wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:39 pm a pad with a bell on top.
so amazing
pads are a small portion of what granular can do
open up the grains for a more glitchy tone, good for percussion sounds, sfx, leads, well pretty much anything, it's a method of sound design.
lots of people do great stuff with granular. just not you it seems, which is fine, but wouldn't your time be better spent in a thread you do like the subject of?

Dirtgrain wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:47 pm So, when you come up with something good sounding, you save the project in your DAW, and when you open the project later, what was in the buffer is gone? You would have to bounce anything to audio in order not to lose it exactly as it was? Or is it not a concern because on opening the project it's not problem to get the sound in the buffer just as it was previously?
Since it is an effect, it takes buffer input from your existing audio in the project, so a saved buffer is not really necessary. If Graindad comes up with a buffer in the beginning of your song, which has been saved in the end of your song, this might be a problem.

If you recorded a single buffer to play with, the recording process can be automated, by automation or Midi note, so this will give you full recall on reloading your project.

Using Graindad like a sampler would be a rather exotic case, where you want a buffer which has been recorded from anything but must be present at all times. For this case we should think about a buffer recall.

best,
rico
Last edited by Sugar Bytes on Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

double post
Last edited by Klinke on Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sugar Bytes wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:53 am Since it is an effect, it takes buffer input from your existing audio in the project, so a saved buffer is not really necessary. If Graindad comes up with a buffer in the beginning of your song, which has been saved in the end of your song, this might be a problem.

If you recorded a single buffer to play with, the recording process can be automated, by automation or Midi note, so this will give you full recall on reloading your project.
Since when are effects only for exisiting audio and not for real time? I realize that a fixed buffer ignores the really innovative way of dealing with the playback buffer, but at the same time the transient detection with fixed bufferlength is also super suitable for doddling around with your instruments until you get something you want keep.
Sugar Bytes wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:53 am Using Graindad like a sampler would be a rather exotic case, where you want a buffer which has been recorded from anything but must be present at all times. For this case we should think about a buffer recall.
How about a buffer freeze button, that ensure that the buffer will stay untouched, and save the buffer in the case that buffer is frozen?

Interesting, I will keep that in mind :)

Actually just a very few plugs (at least in my experience) who have freeze allow to save current (frozen) buffer's content together with DAW project. (Offhand I remember 3 names). But i agree that this is interesting ability.

Love it but too expensive right now. So will wait for a discount.
<List your stupid gear here>

they do have a students 30% discount if anyone is elegible, althought I suspect most will not be in that position.
pretty cool effect, it seems on 1st try.
member of the guild of professional dilettantes.

Sugar Bytes wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:58 am Interesting, I will keep that in mind :)
please do.
a buffer recall would be great !
Please add some "selectable" Buffer-slots on it too *, .....while you are at it.
I mean, its "by any means" a creative tool, no ?
*( sample slots to hold a recorded buffer or sample by drag&drop / 8 for example / would be welcome !)

not something i felt a need to be there, while i made music with it.
---> until i just saw the above demo, and reading thru recent posts ;)

unfortunately, i NEED now to check the manual.
( grumpy vs. manuals, haha )

I bought at lootaudio as i was having much fun playing with it. :tu:

I am missing one feature: It would be great if one can create a sequence out of the grains to play them back in a specific order or to loop the most interesting parts (this is what looperator can do). I am wondering why this is not already implemented because there are two sequencers available :).

Thymos wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:26 am I am missing one feature: It would be great if one can create a sequence out of the grains to play them back in a specific order or to loop the most interesting parts (this is what looperator can do). I am wondering why this is not already implemented because there are two sequencers available :).
I would very much like this, as I have fun playing with such things.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

@Sugar Bytes:
i would like to map:
Harvester mode / auto pilot off
...the white dot, the white main pointer
i´d like to map this to midi ( X-Y axis)
Is this in any form doable ?

i´m in a Plugin host, NOT a DAW. (GigPerformer (GP))
The "learn parameter" feature is not working for that.

In case this is not implemented,
please can you add this ?
this woiuld be very powerful vs. realtime-play sounddesign.

i can create Morphs in GP, and could setup X and Y axis accordingly,
so that very controlled manual morphs would become doable.

also in Harvester mode:
with autopilot on, there is a speed dial on the left.
i´d like to map this too to midi CC. It´s also not working with "parameter learn".
If not implemented: can you add this please too, vs. acsessibility by midi CC ?

edit: autopilot on/off is also missing. not shure if its important.
but mapping such controls to midi can speed up workflow, at least.

please correct me if i´m overlooking something,
or: if its working in a DAW

edit 2: ahh, and is there a sort of restart button for the harvester, or a setting where i can synchronise all the set modulations to a common "restart" ?

edit 3: ahh, forgot:
Harvester mode / the speed dial vs. "edit all":
it would be great if we could toggle to "edit all", and then back, --> but ALL individual speed settings would remain same, as set bevore

Return to “Effects”