Tripwires (Seismic Ambient Appropriation)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ambient Online Compilation: Vol 20 has just dropped on an almost completely unsuspecting world. It features over 5 hours of music, comprising 45 tracks of diverse ambient music, all made by members of Ambient Online. This compilation is available as a "name your price" release, so it should suit all pockets, and is well worth purchasing. I've only listened to the first 12 tracks so far, so my listening schedule is quite well defined for the next couple of days, at least :) Based upon what I've heard up 'til now, this may be the best compilation yet.

My submission for this was made in Mulab, and took approx. 1 month of tinkering about, mainly during 10 or 15 minute periods as time allowed, whilst working on five or six other projects in parallel. I think it could be described as disruptive ambient.

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/tripwires

Recorded/Mixed in MuLab8.7.6
Mastered in T-Racks 5

Prestidigitation and trickery:-

Absynth
Reaktor (Skanner XT)
Axon
Dune 3
Axon 2
ACE
Superior Drummer 2
Aether
Tempo Delay
Glitch2
Raum
Replicant
CSR Plate
REFLEXplus
Saturator X
Linear Phase Equaliser
EQP-1A

DR - 9

Edit:20221030 - I remixed it today, dropping the level of the ACE theremin by 2dB

The album may be found here:-

https://ambientonline.bandcamp.com/albu ... -volume-20
Last edited by seismic1 on Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I like it.

Was the Theremin style lead deliberate? I can't get UFO's out of my head now! :lol:

The main percussive synth is cool too, almost sounds like a strat plucking along, and gives the early part of the track an almost early 2000's action videogame feel.

I can also say that it's a great possible videogame soundtrack. It has the same aestetic as some of the previous tracks (Malignant Intelligence) and would fit for the same context. It can create so many associations in mind. Exploring a dangerous alien planet or opposing an alien ivasion on Earth. Perhaps, if I would be a director on a movie/game project like that, I would hire you.
"Some people don't like music created on a PC and declare it as "fake". I don't care. The only thing matters to me is the end result."
SoundCloud YouTube Patreon

tehlord wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:45 am I like it.

Was the Theremin style lead deliberate? I can't get UFO's out of my head now! :lol:
Yes. I deliberately wanted a theremin-style lead, but instead of using ModularV2 or Arp2600V2 I decided to use ACE for a slight change of scenery.
tehlord wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:45 am The main percussive synth is cool too, almost sounds like a strat plucking along, and gives the early part of the track an almost early 2000's action videogame feel.
I think that synth is AD Axon (with a little help from Glitch2).

Thanks very much for checking this out, Geoff. Glad you enjoyed it :)

Brilliant sound design. Nice build up but then it hits a plateau at around the 5 minute mark. I wanted big drums to kick in towards the end. Perhaps it wouldn't be ambient then?

The mix is great except the Theremin-ish lead might be slightly too loud.

Overall, very strong track. Nice work!

VCA-089 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:10 pm I can also say that it's a great possible videogame soundtrack. It has the same aestetic as some of the previous tracks (Malignant Intelligence) and would fit for the same context. It can create so many associations in mind. Exploring a dangerous alien planet or opposing an alien ivasion on Earth. Perhaps, if I would be a director on a movie/game project like that, I would hire you.
I seem to get quite a few comments regarding game/movie soundtrack suitability. It's not usually something that I'm consciously aware of doing, although a few of my tracks were written with specific movies in mind, including this one, although I can't remember what the movie that inspired this was called.

It's good to hear that the aesthetic/stylistic character of these tracks is achievable using different DAWS. I was concerned that my move to MuLab from EnergyXT2 might cause some problems in that area, but now that I've completed 3 MuLab projects, I'm feeling a lot more comfortable with it. With the recent arrival of EXT64, I'm even happier.

Thanks very much for listening and commenting, VCA-089. Glad that you enjoyed it, and glad that it managed to spark your imagination :D

Wow, disruptive ambient.
First time I heard that term.
This sound is very cinematic, and quite suspenseful.
I am enjoying the trip.
Well done, and high quality recording.
Rene

Frantz wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:33 am Brilliant sound design. Nice build up but then it hits a plateau at around the 5 minute mark. I wanted big drums to kick in towards the end. Perhaps it wouldn't be ambient then?
I think "big drums" would probably have resulted in a smaller compilation :wink:
Frantz wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:33 am The mix is great except the Theremin-ish lead might be slightly too loud.
Good to hear that these MuLab mixes are working. Do you think the theremin synth is too loud consistently, or only at certain places?
Frantz wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:33 am Overall, very strong track. Nice work!
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, Frantz. Glad you liked it :)

seismic1 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:32 pm Do you think the theremin synth is too loud consistently, or only at certain places?
Consistently.

Cool... well done ambient. Like a soundtrack for the trip around space.
Good mix and sounds.

Rene Asologuitar wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:52 pm Wow, disruptive ambient.
First time I heard that term.
That's probably true. I thought I made it up 3 weeks ago, but I have just found a couple of research papers talking about it, although in a completely unrelated context.
Rene Asologuitar wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:52 pm This sound is very cinematic, and quite suspenseful.
I am enjoying the trip.
Well done, and high quality recording.
Rene
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, Rene. Glad you enjoyed it :)

Well, "Tripwires" is only one track, just 8 minutes long.

And yes, this is the first time I've heard the term
"disruptive ambient". Did you invent this term from
scratch yourself? I think that would be great. :o

In any case, the "disruptive ambient" Track "Tripwires" is:
beautifully relaxing and scenic! :clap:

The theremin is easy to hear. Is it too loud? Not necessarily.
In any case the theremin is most striking for the melodic
content. The slightly springy rhythm is beautiful. However,
one might think that there is a little too little "disruption"
in this track. :?: At least if you have the style description
"disruptive ambient" in mind.

Overall: A very relaxing and coherent song! :tu:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Frantz wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:14 pm
seismic1 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:32 pm Do you think the theremin synth is too loud consistently, or only at certain places?
Consistently.
I'll try to take a look at this in the next couple of days. I probably need a break from my new track anyway.

seismic1 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:57 pm I'll try to take a look at this in the next couple of days. I probably need a break from my new track anyway.
If you do decide to make an adjustment, it should be very minor, 2 or 3 dB or something like that.

markkuja wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:40 pm Cool... well done ambient. Like a soundtrack for the trip around space.
Good mix and sounds.
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, markku. Glad you liked it :)
Frantz wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:50 am
seismic1 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:57 pm I'll try to take a look at this in the next couple of days. I probably need a break from my new track anyway.
If you do decide to make an adjustment, it should be very minor, 2 or 3 dB or something like that.
A new mix is on SoundCloud, replacing the original upload. I made a 2dB reduction to that synth.

Return to “Music Cafe”