telecharge wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:42 pm Sines, sines
Everywhere there's sines
Blockin' out the scenery
Breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that
Can't you read the sine?
:lol:
No auto tune...

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:27 pm Would you guys really take an inferior sounding good looking vst over an ugly duck that sounds the business ?
Maybe not if it's just ugly. I can handle ugly. I can handle clunky. But some things are physically painful to look at. If using it is like sand and lemon juice in my eyes, yes! I would 100% prefer to use something that looks fine even if it doesn't sound as good. Can't have any fun at all if my eyes are melting onto my keyboard. It's nice to know that Trazistow has selectable colors, because what's on display at its website is utterly unbearable. (And yes, your examples are also monstrosities.)
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

Hey, the fewer people who use Tranzistow because it of its looks, the more it gets to be a secret weapon for those who do use it. ;)
A well-behaved signature.

telecharge wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:42 pm Sines, sines
Everywhere there's sines
Blockin' out the scenery
Breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that
Can't you read the sine?
I’ll never be this clever, and that’s why I often come to KVR - to get a good laugh from the witty. Very Ghettosynthish.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:27 pm
Would you guys really take an inferior sounding good looking vst over an ugly duck that sounds the business ?
It's a moot point in my case as there is no Mac version anyway.

But Tranzistow isn't just an ugly duck... it's the most opaque inscrutable eye-sore I have ever seen. I have never used a synth where looking at the GUI I could tell nothing about what sound it might make. It could hardly be worse.

it isn't because it's "ugly"... i'm a Reaper user after all :lol:
it's more "cumbersome" to work with.
i actually don't mind the looks of (Excel) spreadsheets and work with them for crunching numbers and keeping track of things, but for music creation or even just noise making i'd rather use 10 "Junos", than a single synth which's GUI is nothing more than several Excel spreadsheets.
if it was the only good sounding synth on earth... maybe, but there are dozens that sound great too which GUI's aren't comprised of 5000 Excel tabs.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

SebAV wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:13 am
zerocrossing wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:01 am
blueberryjam wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:09 am I'm surprised OPS7 is not getting more love, it sounds incredible to me.
I think Bidule’s problem is that they came out with what is probably the best DX7 emulation after the market was saturated. Is OPS7 better than Arturia’s? Probably, but so many already have DX-7 V and to me it seems great. People also have Dexed, which is free, so it’s hard to compete with something a lot of people have for free or got in a bundle.
I think the UI is poor and doesn’t convey willingness to touch it. And the browser seems to be a problem.
And the duration of the demo version is just a joke. A deal breaker for me.
I’ve been using Chipsounds a lot lately because I had a request for vintage game sounds, and man the UI on that sucks too, so maybe that’s the reason I never bothered demoing OPS7. Sometimes an intuitive UI is worth more than a perfectly accurate emulation.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:30 pm
briefcasemanx wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:41 am
And unlike F'em it sounds good and not like cheap trash. F'em sounds like if you took a cheap Casio FM toy synth from the 80s and then took away any character..

Tranzistow is like MSoundfactory, fun to mess around with because of all the options, but hard to make actual good, usable sounds with (unless you're making a bottom-tier 90s PC game, then it's the perfect synth for you).
I think you’re the one having a hearing problem - or most likely trolling.
F-em is coded is by a veteran who earned his stripes in the hardware world (waldorf)
And tranzistow is one if the best sounding pieces of oftware ever released .
If john bowen asks him to code some algo’s for the solaris , then he must have been doing something right , no ?
You just proved you didn’t actually spend 5 min with it ,the filters are gorgeous , so is the 8*4!moog inspired filterbank , and let’s not even begin about it’s fm engine , formant osc’s , skirt parameters + features not found anywhere else , every shape or wave possible for the 8 stage envelopes, yes you’ve read that correctly , waveforms can be envelope stages .
best of all is that everything can be be modulated at audio rate … let that sink in for a moment .
Tranzistow audio signal path is pristine quality.
People can criticize the gui all they want , but the sound has been universally praised .
You’re clueless , thats’s all.. so dive in and be amazed or just su.
I agree about ops 7 , it’s a gem
Thanks for writing my reply to briefcasemanx for me. :tu:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

pdxindy wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:03 pm
SLiC wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:54 pm Tranzistow doesn't really have a GUI, its more like a spreadsheet...
And even among spreadsheets its hard to discern. It's a visually confusing monstrosity!
Tranzistow could be fixed (to a degree) in an afternoon, but no one seems to care enough. It could use a full UX/UI redesign, but I’m not suggesting that. I’m just suggesting adding some sort of visual cue that makes it obvious what parameter is tied to which slider.
Zerocrossing Media

mholloway wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:45 pm The UI of cherry audio's Sines is so bad I thought it was a joke at first -- the 'wavy' osc section is nothing short of nauseating, I can't look at it without feeling confused and slightly sick. What a horrible, horrible choice. I already found it hard to take Cherry seriously....this didn't help, at all. Ugh.
I think Cherry is super inconsistent. They seem to be so keen on flooding the market that they do fail on many fronts. I’ve passed on almost all of their synths, but I had to eat my words after demoing the 3rd release of GX-80. It’s pretty damn good. But, Sines… yeah, didn’t even bother to demo it. What where they thinking?
Zerocrossing Media

This might be a little controversial, but I really like phaseplant. You can basically modulate anything with anything, and I find myself a lot more creative than with a matrix.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:03 pm
SLiC wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:54 pm Tranzistow doesn't really have a GUI, its more like a spreadsheet...
And even among spreadsheets its hard to discern. It's a visually confusing monstrosity!
Its easier to program your own VST in C, than make a patch in Transistow… No matter of its potential, the lack of any user interface moves the usability score to zero…
PlugData has more potential than that spreadsheet…

I would love to play around with F.'em more, because it's sound and feature set is impressive, but what is going on my nerves is the bit too messy GUI and even more, that when you want drag a slider, the screen area is not sufficient for the whole range, so you hit the border and then have to drag again for greater value changes. I guess GUI programming does not get much love at Tracktion...

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:22 am Tranzistow wipes the floor with all of those mentioned above .
I only found out that you can load user samples in it’s contour generator , which you then use as either a carrier or modulator .
Which brings tranzistow into tg-sy territory .
Rhino could already load samples during the age of steam... (plus it has a GUI that is actually worthy of that term :-o)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Return to “Instruments”