plugdata -pure data

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So who else is using plugdata ?

It works as a vst plugin and standalone.
It has a nice slick vector based ( like max made with juce ).
Also noticed that the scheduler is way more tight compared to max ( even when max overdrive is turned on ) ; so that's a big plus
Currently I do have a lot of crashes so saving work is recommended ,if plugdata ever reaches a final stable version it will be awesome .
At the moment I'm having lot's of fun , minor gripe (personal ) is that the osc-filterobjects ( even cyclone ) sound nowhere near as good as supercollider , which imho is still topnotch .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Phase distortion patch , :tu:
Eyeball exchanging

Nice! I am just diving into PD generally, and had a quick question - is it possible to install external libraries in the PlugData VST? Or, is that just possible in the standalone version of PlugData? In other words, is PlugData a complete replacement for Pure Data?

bharris22 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:27 pm Nice! I am just diving into PD generally, and had a quick question - is it possible to install external libraries in the PlugData VST? Or, is that just possible in the standalone version of PlugData? In other words, is PlugData a complete replacement for Pure Data?
It tries to be! It's compatible with most externals, though only in the standalone version. Some externals are broken, like Gem and Ofelia.

Other than that, it is based on an unmodified pd-vanilla, so it should have good compatibility. I'm still working on improving that further.

Excellent - thanks! In other words, if I want to use the VST version, I am limited to patches that rely on vanilla plus cyclone and else (I think) - is that right?

octagonaudio wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:12 pm
bharris22 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:27 pm Nice! I am just diving into PD generally, and had a quick question - is it possible to install external libraries in the PlugData VST? Or, is that just possible in the standalone version of PlugData? In other words, is PlugData a complete replacement for Pure Data?
It tries to be! It's compatible with most externals, though only in the standalone version. Some externals are broken, like Gem and Ofelia.

Other than that, it is based on an unmodified pd-vanilla, so it should have good compatibility. I'm still working on improving that further.
First of all , amazing job :tu:
I' ve noticed that the scheduler is way more tight , is this because of the juce framwork ?
I really hope this project gets a lot more attention and becomes a worthy pure data follow up .
A nice vectorized gui makes all the difference in the world .
I do get a hell of a lot of crashes , which are probably gui based , both standalone and vst , also the vst 3 version is not recognized by any host I own .

A few suggestions
-individual colouring of cables and modules ( settings colours all of them )
-opacity slider
Eyeball exchanging

bharris22 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:33 pm Excellent - thanks! In other words, if I want to use the VST version, I am limited to patches that rely on vanilla plus cyclone and else (I think) - is that right?
Yep!
gentleclockdivider wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:24 pm First of all , amazing job :tu:
I' ve noticed that the scheduler is way more tight , is this because of the juce framwork ?
I really hope this project gets a lot more attention and becomes a worthy pure data follow up .
A nice vectorized gui makes all the difference in the world .
I do get a hell of a lot of crashes , which are probably gui based , both standalone and vst , also the vst 3 version is not recognized by any host I own .

A few suggestions
-individual colouring of cables and modules ( settings colours all of them )
-opacity slider
Unforunately I can't add opacity because there is no way to store that inside a Pd patch, since pd-vanilla doesn't support that. Custom colours for cables is something I'll consider, but storing any extra data that the patch has no place for is a big hassle :(

I'm working on the stability, in the coming versions that should improve drastically!

The difference in scheduler tightness might be because PlugData does it's GUI processing on a separate thread, but I'm not sure.

Here's a descritpion of a bug that happens a lot in the plugin version and sometimes the standalone version .
Screenshot 1 one shows a 3 operator synth , just load the patch )

I then insert a new object and type in the name of my abstraction ( randommidinotes )
Screenshot 2 show the inside of the abstraction before I made any changes .
ImageScreenshot 3 , after inserting two outlets and closing the tab witout save .
ImageScreenshot 4 , the outlets are still visible but sometimes plugdata crashes and or closes all tabs instead.
Here are the pacthes , simple 3 op synth and randommidipitches .
Insert randommidipitches as an abstraction
https://app.box.com/s/tqd27kfwvtqh9ccf6j7m0vcrlgb94htl
Eyeball exchanging

Thanks, I'll take a look at this!

Made a nice 303 style sequencer , well or anything else monophonic
Gate lenght defines slides , and velo=accent
modulo length defines pattern length and counter can be run backwards atc..simple stuff
INput note data either from external kbd or onscreen keyboard
I said it before but the timing is so straght compared to max .
Also , I recently found out we can do 1 unit sample feedback for self feeding operators , just use block~ 1 in a subpatcher and tabsend~ tabreceive , delread~ delwrite~ also works
Nice sharp squares (phase modulation 2 operators , modulator self feedback ratio 2)
Eyeball exchanging

This patch is constantly crashing my host
A simple 6 additive synth +sub patcher that contains a metro object .
https://app.box.com/s/0jvf54iogjhmj3ji9ki1qv01qdb6xqmp
Eyeball exchanging

What do you do to make it crash? Works fine here, on a Macbook Pro M2 and Monterey... I don't get any sound out of it though, but I don't see any Midi in either...
At the moment I am more diving into RNBO~ from Cycling74 though. Exciting times...

nice

Last edited by Banned on Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Where to start studying if you don’t know what kind of libraries ELSE, Cyclone, etc. are?
Is there a guide somewhere that a distant person can understand?

Return to “Modular Synthesis”