FL Studio 21 officially released

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

image line has officially released v21 today
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Download: https://www.image-line.com/fl-studio-download/

Announcement: https://www.image-line.com/fl-studio-ne ... -released/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm-y5ORsiQ4
NEW KEY FEATURES
  • Audio Clips - Integrated envelopes with fade in/out, precise level control and automated crossfades.
  • Themes - Hue, Contrast, Brightness, highlights, metering & step color control.
  • Browser - Upgraded browser with tagging, lightning fast search and online content discovery with download management.
  • Luxeverb (All Plugins Edition)- The most advanced reverb made exclusively for FL Studio.
  • Vintage phaser (Signature Bundle and up) - Meticulously modeled on the 80’s classic used on Oxygene by Jean-Michelle Jarre.
  • Multiband Delay (Producer Edition and up) - 16 frequency band delay with independent control. A truly unique sound design tool.  
  • VFX Sequencer (All Editions) - An advanced step sequencer to transform chords into melodic phrases.
  • Multi-language support - Spanish, German and French in addition to English and Chinese. 
  • And much more - See here for the full list

After spending a few hours with it conclusion is for a major update its pretty light and doesn't address any of the reasons why I don't use FL as my primary DAW- Still, its free so can't complain, just don't feel it adds anything for me. It's same old pattern based FL with pop up windows and min plugins for everything.

Still waiting for a far simpler and more integrated workflow as an update, but I know the people who have been using FL as their maid DAW for a long time love the way it works, so it may never happen!

Played with Themes for 10 minutes then just went back to default! If they are doing something cosmetic I wish they would update the cartoony fonts and icons, for some reason it bothers me!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

wish they improved the ghost notes along with all this theming feature. Seeing ghost notes in 1 color really isn't helpful, and needing to select which piano roll to edit from a drop down menu also defeats the purpose of ghost notes.

yeah im also pretty disappointed from it. i thought they add much more stuff/concentrate on fundamental stuff....
still the Crossfade and audio options are very late but still great!

- crash protection is still not addressed properly
- overall performance and stability still lacks
- Ghost notes not visible on all patterns is just bad...
- Automation editor is still lacking a lot, it would be great to have a seperate tab/line in the playlist like in ableton etc. where you can draw automation and not use the clunky automation feature

and some more stuff....

yes lifetime upgrades, thx, new plugins, thx etc. hey very much appreciated and still my go to DAW, but i wonder why they dont address the fundamentals, maybe the code is too complex and old, maybe just no focus on this, maybe maybe maybe...

FL22, new hopes
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

FL-VSTi pattern triggering from host notes still doesn't function. Ah well.

After, what, a decade of this being broken, I probably shouldn't even bother checking any more.

Still, it was a nice, if brief, nostalgia trip seeing that old interface again. Launching the uninstaller..

FakeNatty wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:19 am wish they improved the ghost notes along with all this theming feature. Seeing ghost notes in 1 color really isn't helpful, and needing to select which piano roll to edit from a drop down menu also defeats the purpose of ghost notes.
You can double-right-click a ghost note to immediately switch to its channel. And there's an "Editable ghost notes" option that allows you to edit ghost notes directly without switching channels at all.

SLiC wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:34 am After spending a few hours with it conclusion is for a major update its pretty light and doesn't address any of the reasons why I don't use FL as my primary DAW- Still, its free so can't complain, just don't feel it adds anything for me. It's same old pattern based FL with pop up windows and min plugins for everything.

Still waiting for a far simpler and more integrated workflow as an update, but I know the people who have been using FL as their maid DAW for a long time love the way it works, so it may never happen!

Played with Themes for 10 minutes then just went back to default! If they are doing something cosmetic I wish they would update the cartoony fonts and icons, for some reason it bothers me!
yupp still FLogic is the best DAW on the market (with Voltage as Patcher) nothing has been changed
unfortunately ...
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Dionysos wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:05 pm You can double-right-click a ghost note to immediately switch to its channel. And there's an "Editable ghost notes" option that allows you to edit ghost notes directly without switching channels at all.
I am aware of this, but the lack of colors means that I often have no idea what channel I'm editing. This means it's more clear to use the drop down menu, but then that goes back to my frustration with needing to use the small drop down menu to switch between channels.

FakeNatty wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:40 pm I am aware of this, but the lack of colors means that I often have no idea what channel I'm editing. This means it's more clear to use the drop down menu, but then that goes back to my frustration with needing to use the small drop down menu to switch between channels.
That's a fair point. When I still used FL, I used to just wildly right-click around until I hit the channel I wanted, that worked alright for me. :lol:

Few people ever seem too impressed with DAW updates.

There did seem to be a greater amount of anticipation for this release. I haven't been following, so I'm not sure why that is.

The new reverb, phaser and VFX sequencer are awesome.

Interesting how different the perception of this update is...

I mean realtime fades/crossfades and a new browser are already huge parts and many companies would already have stopped here (hello Presonus and Steinberg.. :) ) ...
Theming seem to have made a wet dream come true for many users... I don´t understand but anyway...

There are tons of smaller additions (like this handy little plus button on the playlist now) which aren´t listed here and the new plugins are very good indeed...

I can understand and some people were waiting for perhaps different stuff but i.e. a move away from the pattern part you can already forget...
I doubt this will ever happen (well never say never) ...

Anyway... nonetheless they have big changes in the pipeline they have already announced so it can be expected that the major release now is just one step to what´s coming in future like ARA2, MPE/Midi 2.0, a new dynamic mixer with (perhaps unlimited channels and probably inserts), changing the PPQ system, moving away from variable buffer size. integrating Newtime/Newtone into the timeline like i.e. Ableton and much more they were already talking about...

I admit it lacks a bit stability... to me they rushed it too much lately to get V21 finally out (in some way) with the statement that a bug release will follow soon...

For me this update is more on the positive side (apart from theming) compared what they released with V20 and the general development is (mostly) a step ahead and in the right direction...

Let´s see where this journey takes us...

epic launch... fl 21 themes... after almost 20 years!!! themes!!!!

miguelc0000 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:23 pm epic launch... fl 21 themes... after almost 20 years!!! themes!!!!
Well, colour change...
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”