Available now! Tone2 Electra3 Synthesizer Workstation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Tone2 Electra3

GHOST19 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:37 pm
PietW. wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:33 pm Markus has provided us with so many updates to his plugins over the past few months.
This guy has to earn money too, so it's only natural that an update sometimes has to be paid for.
So stop being so extremely unfair to him. I would also like to point out that Markus actually wanted to stop updating his products completely and we should be grateful that he still invests time in making his plugins even better.
Having an opinion about the pricing has nothing to do about being unfair towards Markus. You don't have to be anti artists on a budget to be pro developer.
I personally think the Tone 2 synths deserve to be in the hands of millions of paying consumers but that's not happening at this price point.
100% agree but also this: Markus has done a lot of work on his stuff the last couple of years and deserves to get paid what he wants for it (guy has to eat). Of course that means it won't fit everyone's budget but that isn't his fault. Pricing it at $49 (or whatever) might simply not provide enough ROI for him for all the work. Let's also not forget that at one point he said he wasn't going to do any of this so we're lucky. I've given the guy a lot of grief about his Mac viewpoints but at the end of the day he's still done the work and deserves to get paid well for it.

I would really like to support Markus for all the free updates and encourage him to keep working on his synthesizers but I'm not finding much of worth being upgraded (except the sound quality which I do agree is a tiny bit better sounding now). Yet more modulation SOURCE options, but because the damn mod matrix is so tiny with only 10 slots I feel like it's almost a complete waste. Why on earth he can't add another 10 I have no idea. This must be one of the most capable yet not capable at all synthesizers out there.

The possibilities would be rather huge but they aren't.. so frustrating. :neutral:

.. still, I will purchase the upgrade as I do think he deserves some support from us users who have had this thing forever.

EDIT: Any idea where I can download the previous Electra X 2 installer? The demo of v3 overwrote my ElectraX 2 plugin and I don't happen to have the previous installer backed up. Can I download it somewhere? The website just has an 'upgrade' option instead of the download for v2!
Last edited by bmanic on Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

I noticed that hypernoise 9x and hypersaw vir 9x oscillators seem to be buggy with the phase. They suddenly go from nicely out of phase into flangy nasty territory really easily. The 7x oscillators do not have this problem.

The 'Electra 3 Hypersaw' preset demonstrates this bug very well. Just play a few notes and at some point you will have a few random really nasty flanging notes. That's when the free phase suddenly hits the 80 to 99 area, where in manual phase mode you get these same problems. Just change the 9x hypersaws to 7x and problem goes instantly away.

zvenx wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:21 pm There was a new sounds 2.5 and 2.6 category/folder of presets.. Mine seemed to have disappeared on both mac and pc after this upgrade..
I guess they were moved into more regular sections?
rsp
Hi Zvenx, I've got those in case you need them let me know and I send you the direct link

Any idea where I can download the previous Electra X 2 installer?

Version number: 2.11.2 / 2.8.0
https://www.tone2.com/download-for-mac-old.html
https://www.tone2.com/download-for-pc-old.html

Thank you.
Appreciated.

I got them from a backup, but all of them that i checked have been incorporated into the main library.

rsp
AxlMaldini wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:32 am
zvenx wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:21 pm There was a new sounds 2.5 and 2.6 category/folder of presets.. Mine seemed to have disappeared on both mac and pc after this upgrade..
rsp
Hi Zvenx, I've got those in case you need them let me know and I send you the direct link
sound sculptist

There was a new sounds 2.5 and 2.6 category/folder of presets.. Mine seemed to have disappeared on both mac and pc after this upgrade..
No patches have been removed.
I re-sorted these patches and moved them to the proper categories/directories to make it easier to find them.
You do not have to care about anything at all. It 'just works'

Markus Krause wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:43 am You do not have to care about anything at all. It 'just works'
Now, if you could do that for life in general, it would be much appreciated. :D
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Thanks Markus for the update - already get into it a lot. A nobrainer from my side. Grüße aus Düsseldorf!

Is it a bug or feature that Osc Analog Pulse PW cannot be freq-modulated?

- All oscillator types can be used as a source for FM
- Nearly all, but not all oscillator types can be used as a target for FM

If you want to FM-modulate a pulse-width modulated square choose "Wavetable->VA Square Imp" or "Custom Wave->Square" as a type.

In general I recommend to use digital oscillators for FM only. This refers not only to Electra, but all synthesizers.
The lack of precision of analog oscillators (especially drift) can quickly result in inharmonic sidebands and sounds that are not musically useful.
Last edited by Markus Krause on Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Markus Krause wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:08 am Any idea where I can download the previous Electra X 2 installer?

Version number: 2.11.2 / 2.8.0
https://www.tone2.com/download-for-mac-old.html
https://www.tone2.com/download-for-pc-old.html
That's awesome!! Very nice page for keeping track of old versions. Thank you!

Markus Krause wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:43 am
There was a new sounds 2.5 and 2.6 category/folder of presets.. Mine seemed to have disappeared on both mac and pc after this upgrade..
No patches have been removed.
I re-sorted these patches and moved them to the proper categories/directories to make it easier to find them.
You do not have to care about anything at all. It 'just works'
There is one minor drawback though. When they are moved, they render the old favourited/star settings associated with them, null and void.
rsp
sound sculptist

bmanic wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:43 pmWhy on earth do Tone2 synths skimp on this when they are so capable synths otherwise? Some of the competition has literally unlimited amount of mod slots.
Probably because most people don’t use more than 10 and the more possibility of modulation means the higher your CPU use has to be. I admit I’d like there to be more, but I usually can make do with 10.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Electra3 does have 40 mod slots per patch (4 Synth layers, each with 10 slots).
Icarus2 has 18 mod slots + many additional knobs with fixed modulation routing of LFOs or envelopes.
Nemesis and Gladiator have 12 slots + additional knobs with fixed modulation routing of envelopes.
Saurus and RayBlaster have 15 slots + additional knobs with fixed modulation routing of envelopes.
Gladiator has 12 slots + many additional knobs with fixed routing for assigning envelopes and Morph LFOs.

There is also a reason to limit the number of slots. Each slot needs CPU and clutters the interface.
And some sound-designers have a tendency for a 'messy' sound design. They weirdly route stuff and end up with lots of slots that don't really do anything. Then it's not really clear what the patch really does and CPU is wasted. In the worst case this even can have a negative impact on sound-quality or patches that don't work properly.
Limiting here forces them to think what they really want to achieve and to do thorough sound-design.

Something I have always wanted to ask for but keep forgetting..
A way to search for patches by names (or the tags you have already assigned them) in the browser.
Or can one already do that and I have ever noticed how?
thanks
rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Instruments”