Opal by Fors — an Elektron-like drum synth and sequencer for Max for Live

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Fors has released Opal, an Elektron-like drum synth and sequencer for Max for Live.

https://opal.fors.fm/

Basically, you get a 16 step sequencer with parameter locks, probability and so on, with 4 different sound generators (FM, Modal, Granular, Noise) and a fx unit (a reverb and a stutter effect). The devices can be used separately as well, which is great. You can modulate or automate every parameter.

I got it yesterday and played around with it for a bit. Like other Fors devices, it‘s very well thought out and designed. It’s easy to use, yet still deep, with lots of sweet spots and just the right amount of controls. And it sounds great. Love it.

It’s more pricey than their other stuff, but I think that‘s fair, you get a lot. This is some serious piece of software and possibly the best drum synth running natively on M1 Macs, at least for now (as long as you’re a m4l user). I think Opal would be a big hit if it was a VST/AU plugin.

Sounds really great. They’re working on an update that gives it individual outs per voice. I love that it comes with the voices as individual max for live devices.

dayjob wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:29 pm Sounds really great. They’re working on an update that gives it individual outs per voice. I love that it comes with the voices as individual max for live devices.
That’s great to hear, individual outs would be very welcome.

It’s a bit of a shame that you can’t automate or modulate (e.g. with a m4l LFO) parameters in Opal, but that’s where the separate devices come in. They’re really good, so is the sequencer. Fun bundle!

I believe in Santa again!

And this is version one of their first product. Gonna sell some Max4Live licenses - it's Elektron on the cheap (not that you could pry the hardware devices from my cold, dead hands). Still - having this ITB is awesome.
Last edited by JoeCat on Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oh snap - I've seen their devices and I think even purchased a few (haven't been producing the last few months). Awesome kit for us experimental producers!

dayjob wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:29 pm They’re working on an update that gives it individual outs per voice.
Do you mean outputs to different channels?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:44 am
dayjob wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:29 pm They’re working on an update that gives it individual outs per voice.
Do you mean outputs to different channels?
multi-audio outputs so you can assign each track/voice to it's own channel so you can multi-track it so each instrument/voice has isolation. helps when jamming and recording for editing/mixing later etc.

Sounds good ...

I thought there was something about Live's coding that did not allow splitting to multiple tracks. Or maybe that's only for VST and not for Max for Live devices?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:29 am I thought there was something about Live's coding that did not allow splitting to multiple tracks. Or maybe that's only for VST and not for Max for Live devices?
just to be clear i'm talking about audio. plenty of VSTs have multi out versions.. not to mention drum racks and everything else. if there's a limitation it's a Max/MSP hurdle to figure out and based on a post on elektronauts there's already a solution that exists and it just needs to be applied to Opal.

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/what-s-n ... 138291/489

relevant to that post

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/what-s-n ... 138291/485

Yes, Multi-Out is essential.

I tried a different way. I created 4 copies of Opal.amxd, each on it's own track. Then I muted all the other engines in each Opal, except one, and also left the effects engine on.

So on my first track I have Gem FM and Void/Flux only. On my second track I have Mass Modal and Void/Flux only, etc.

I can add insert effects after each Opal, so that each engine can have it's own effect.
2020 iMac 27" 10 Core, OS 12.6.6, iConnectAudio2+, iConnectMidi4+, Novation SL MKIII, Push 2, Ableton Live, VCV Rack Pro 2, Bitwig Studio

nanostream wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:26 pm This is quite brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7XyAo-cvvI
Opal sounds awesome!! Dont know how much I actually need it, but it looks really fun to play with so im getting it at some point thats for sure! :phones:

The demo's sound great. Lucky SOB Ableton users. €49 is a steal.

Return to “Instruments”