LOVE REAPER......

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

FapFilter wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:39 am Reaper is always updating in 0.01 steps, each taking roughly 2 weeks on average.
We're currently at 6.73 so 7.00 will probably be due in early 2024, maybe late 2023
The average time from x.0 to x+2.0 is 8 years. If you buy a x.999 version you still can expect 4 years of free updates…
If you get it now expect 5 years. That is cheaper than supporting Ardour with 1$ per month (what I did for some time…). And if you use it rarely, you can safely just ignore updates after that time and still use it…
That is based on the past, in the future things might change…

FapFilter wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:59 pm yes, same behavior as my thing mapped to ENTER
i've also mapped CTRL + ENTER to insert new audio file and COMMAND + ENTER to insert new automation item / convert current selection to automation item
I hadn't thought of mapping the automation action like that, sounds useful, thanks.

Can you have REAPER 5 and REAPER 6 installed at the same time? not talking about one being 'Portable' install or anything, just both the regular old fashioned install. Separate install locations/directories etc of course.

Do you lose anything by having REAPER installed as a 'Portable Install' as opposed to normal old install method? any draw backs?
Say NO to CLAP!

jinotsuh wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:11 am Do you lose anything by having REAPER installed as a 'Portable Install' as opposed to normal old install method? any draw backs?
The ability to have .rpp files assigned to reaper, and the ability to use ReaRoute, I think they're the only limitations. ReaRoute is a deal killer for me, but if you have one system install and then use portables for other things, it's not a huge deal.

enroe wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:55 am
MorpherX wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:12 pm Does anyone know if Reaper 6.7.x is the last version before Reaper 7 ?
No.

There's a Reaper update every two weeks, and there will probably be
another thirty to fifty updates up to version 7.0.
Thanks for claryfication !
I am astonished that the versions really go up to X.99, many other companies already go to the next big version if version number reach X.33 or so.
This is really userfriendly.

jinotsuh wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:11 am Can you have REAPER 5 and REAPER 6 installed at the same time? not talking about one being 'Portable' install or anything, just both the regular old fashioned install. Separate install locations/directories etc of course.
You should only be carefull if you saved something with the latest version and then you want to open this project with a very older version ( example 6.0.7)
In this case you get a message that your project was made with a newer version and some functions do not work anymore or work in an other way or the project can even sound very different due the many changes in the meantime !!!

MorpherX wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:30 pm I am astonished that the versions really go up to X.99, many other companies already go to the next big version if version number reach X.33 or so.
This is really userfriendly.
They don't always, 5.x did, but 4.x and 3.x both ended at .78 and 2.x ended at .58.

So I'd say it's too early to truly say it will go all the way to 6.99, but given that for a while it looked like a few in-dev features (CLAP support, retrospective recording) branched off as concurrent betas while 'rc's and releases passed, as if they were going to be a 'different' release, but then didn't and became a 6.xx release anyway, it's a distinct possiblity.

MorpherX wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:40 pm You should only be carefull if you saved something with the latest version and then you want to open this project with a very older version ( example 6.0.7)
In this case you get a message that your project was made with a newer version and some functions do not work anymore or work in an other way or the project can even sound very different due the many changes in the meantime !!!
Thanks, yeah similarish thing happens with Studio One. I'll give it a try today, both installed normally is my preference.
NikkiA wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:25 pm The ability to have .rpp files assigned to reaper, and the ability to use ReaRoute, I think they're the only limitations. ReaRoute is a deal killer for me, but if you have one system install and then use portables for other things, it's not a huge deal.
Thanks, loosing those 2 abilities wouldn't really bother me, if all goes well having both 5.99 and whatever the latest v6 version is installed normally together, I won't need portable anyway, but good to know in case.

Thanks to you both :tu:
Say NO to CLAP!

The normal install of v6 along side v5 worked out excellent fellas, you helped ease my anxiety, thanks again :tu: :tu:
Say NO to CLAP!

jinotsuh wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:11 am ... not talking about one being 'Portable' install or anything, ...

Do you lose anything by having REAPER installed as a 'Portable Install' as opposed to normal old install method? any draw backs?
Haja, it's now common to install Reaper portable. :D

This has many advantages. For example, a full backup is much easier. It's also easier
to run many different versions in parallel.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Well looks like the reaper fans have taken over the thread.

Shocking.

careyletendre wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:31 am Well looks like the reaper fans have taken over the thread.

Shocking.
LOL. Seriously? A thread about Reaper, that results in posts about Reaper. Shocking.

Time to call into the Cakewalk Metro reinforcements!
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

lessera wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:30 am
careyletendre wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:31 am Well looks like the reaper fans have taken over the thread.

Shocking.
LOL. Seriously? A thread about Reaper, that results in posts about Reaper. Shocking.
If you can't see my point won't bother explaining it to you.

Last edited by careyletendre on Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”