2023: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2023)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Everything I’ve bought recently was second hand. I now have a hankering for that new module smell.
I would like a Pam’s Pro, but still can’t see them in stock rather than back order anywhere.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

vurt wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:00 pm sem vs wasp, keep an eye on the inputs!!!
the audio in for sem isn't the top one!!

thought mine was broke for ten mins till i noticed :oops:
Glad you pointed that out.. I never noticed and I would have thought they’d be the same!

I’ve been looking at these since the beginning, so I’m happy to finally have them.

I filled up the pods with modules slated for the 2nd case, but I don’t think I can wait to try them!

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:04 pm Everything I’ve bought recently was second hand. I now have a hankering for that new module smell.
I would like a Pam’s Pro, but still can’t see them in stock rather than back order anywhere.
For things I’ve wanted, 2nd hand prices are out of control. Even on Modwiggler, some prices are too close to the new price.

Still kicking myself for missing out on x2 6U rackbrutes for $440. Someone just had another for $500, but I already bought the new ones (with a discount).

elxsound wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:28 pm

Glad you pointed that out.. I never noticed and I would have thought they’d be the same!

I’ve been looking at these since the beginning, so I’m happy to finally have them.

I filled up the pods with modules slated for the 2nd case, but I don’t think I can wait to try them!
id had the wasp for a while (my first module along with the throbbing gristle tip top sampler)
other than that, they do work the same way re cv controls, so it's not too confusing there.

yeah that would be a difficult wait! especially if you don't have an eta for the second rack?

vurt wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:33 pm

id had the wasp for a while (my first module along with the throbbing gristle tip top sampler)
other than that, they do work the same way re cv controls, so it's not too confusing there.

yeah that would be a difficult wait! especially if you don't have an eta for the second rack?
Nope, no ETA.

Just keeping faith it’ll come soon enough?

I’m looking at the Z-Ears now. $25.

It’s not the best option, but probably among the cheapest unless they have some matching sized wood blocks at the hardware store.

Arrived dead TC Electronic D-Two. Repaired today :)
Any users here? I'm interested in its non-delay presets like chorus.

The package also contains dead TC Electronic M-One :dog:

elxsound wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:33 pm For things I’ve wanted, 2nd hand prices are out of control. Even on Modwiggler, some prices are too close to the new price.
I work by identifying a list of what I want and the most I’m prepared to pay and stick to it. That way it may take months, but I’ve managed to pick up things like a Digitakt for £420, a Bitbox Micro for £220, WMD Crucible for £200 and recently the Qu Bit Chord v2 for £155. Occasionally it’s annoying when I can only afford one or two things a month and miss out on a bargain third, but I’m not prepared to go into debt over this stuff. I generally stick to ebay and Reverb, but also keep an eye on Cash Converters and CEX, they’ll occasionally have something for a bargain price. That’s how I got my MS20 Mini for £280 and a Wavestate for £350.
Last edited by WatchTheGuitar on Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:44 pm
elxsound wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:33 pm For things I’ve wanted, 2nd hand prices are out of control. Even on Modwiggler, some prices are too close to the new price.
I work by identifying a list of what I want and the most I’m prepared to pay and stick to it. That way it may take months, but I’ve managed to pick up things like a Digitakt for £420, a Bitbox Micro for £220, WMD Crucible for £200 and recently the Qu Bit Chord v2 for £155. Occasionally it’s annoying when I can only afford one or two things a month and miss out on a bargain third, but I’m not prepared to go into debt over this stuff.
I’m doing that with Erbe-Verb (or if there’s a deal for Echophon).

I still don’t know what I’d like to pay for Erbe-Verb, but I’ve seen it at $350 on Reverb and someone is trying to sell locally in another state for $340. I don’t think they want to ship, but I’m considering reaching out.

I should add that I got the Wasp and SEM cheaper than I could find used! :party: Ordered from Juno, with $11 in shipping fees. It just took about 2 weeks for it to arrive, but it was a bargain!

DNnX wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:39 pm Arrived dead TC Electronic D-Two. Repaired today :)

Sorry no experience using one, but I’m guessing Justin3am or whyterabbyt might have experience with these… Maybe Cryophonik?

Nope, that one has always been on my radar, but I’ve never owned one, unfortunately
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

DNnX wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:39 pm Arrived dead TC Electronic D-Two. Repaired today :)

Nice score! :tu:
Never had a D-Two but I had an M-One and now I have a Fireworx. I love TC’s stuff from that time. Great sound and some really interesting features. If you were able to get the D-Two up and running, the M-One should be no sweat. From what I understand the hardware is similar. Those TC units seem to develop issues with the power supply more frequently than anything else.

elxsound wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:37 pm

Nope, no ETA.

It’s not the best option, but probably among the cheapest unless they have some matching sized wood blocks at the hardware store.
FYI the Z-Ears-Rack are only $20. They are flat and can't be used on the table, but they save you five dollars. I'm still thinking about making my own ears from angle aluminum for either 6u or 7u panels that each contain a more comprehensive instrument that can be easily removed to go into a tabletop case. Of course, nothing like the distraction of thinking about the lego-ness of modular to get in the way of making music. There's more to it than just the modular, but I have to acknowledge that this is the distraction that is identical to re-wiring the studio back in the day.

ghettosynth wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:11 pm
elxsound wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:37 pm

Nope, no ETA.

FYI the Z-Ears-Rack are only $20. They are flat and can't be used on the table, but they save you five dollars. I'm still thinking about making my own ears from angle aluminum for either 6u or 7u panels that each contain a more comprehensive instrument that can be easily removed to go into a tabletop case. Of course, nothing like the distraction of thinking about the lego-ness of modular to get in the way of making music. There's more to it than just the modular, but I have to acknowledge that this is the distraction that is identical to re-wiring the studio back in the day.
They make both! Angled and flat.

But because it's temporary, I'm looking around to see if there's anything wooden/solid that can be broken apart.

I looked at that phaser again and I'm very tempted so saving $25 could be useful.

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:24 pm yeah, its a pretty simple device really. What actually contributes most to the sound is the light source(s), so that's where the scope would be.

the new handheld version is obviously a better form factor than the original, so I guess its now in the same sort of space as Elektrosluch or Soma Ether.
I already have 2 Elektrosluch Mini City`s.. as well as the Soma Ether.
So much fun!
Would the PhotonSmasher be (sound) different enough to justify buying it?

Just ordered a Make Noise Teleplexer for $40.

It looks fun, I wouldn’t normally buy it, but I figure I can’t go wrong at that price (unless it doesn’t work).

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”