Battery 4.3 keeps asking for missing samples (even when pointed to new location)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm running Cubase 11 and Battery 4 (VST3), both latest versions.

Problem: after renaming a sample folder i can't get rid of the missing file dialog.

If i open an old project, made before renaming the folder, i'm greeted with the missing files dialog as expected. So far so good. I locate the missing files and everything is fine. But if i now save this Cubase project and load it again i get the missing sample dialog again which is not what i expect since i already replaced the missing files. I also tried deleting cells and loading the samples freshly but it's still asking for missing samples after saving the project. WTF!

It looks like the new path isn't saved with the project. Battery just insists on the old path.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:

Bug is known as BT4-2680 at NI

Main thread @ NI for this issue (from march 2022):
https://community.native-instruments.co ... 4-bt4-2680

There is even a knowledge base article about it (including a 'solution')
https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... TERY-4-2-0
Last edited by mi-os on Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:26 am, edited 11 times in total.

the cubase project is irrelevant. you need to save the battery preset/patch. cubase isn't looking for the samples.. battery is what's looking for the samples..

edit: unless i'm misunderstanding what you're saying?

If this is Windows, you can create symbolic links to mimic your files in a different location. I'm pretty sure Mac can have these too but I am unfamiliar with how it's done there.

So, for example, you can have your files currently in X:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Battery 4\Samples\
But maybe your project is looking for the samples in X:\Music Production\Drum Samples\

So IIRC you'd open the command line utility (cmd) then type:

Code: Select all

mklink /D "X:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Battery 4\Samples\" "X:\Music Production\Drum Samples\"
Then press Enter key and I think you'd be all set.

I had to do something similar for Battery when I upgraded my PCs (I also use Cubase) and the directory structure changed between the two computers. And it cleared it up for me.

Had a similar issue with Kontakt (but for me was after I uninstalled some other NI libraries). In Kontakt, there's a way to rebuild the database. Probably the same with Battery. Maybe that's what's needed? Probably not, given what you described, but thought I'd mention it. GL!

Have the same problem since battery 3 in Ableton.
Although battery and native access know where my factory samples are stored, all older projects ask to point to the folder, where I had used an other storage. This is so stupid, it’s only one line program code to check in actual library …. But that is native instruments. And yes since two years it’s not enough to safe a project after pointing to the new folder, you can do it everytime again, when you load an old project. The only walk around is insert a empty track with a new battery, where you select from factory library. That’s why I don’t use battery anymore in new projects. I have combined the battery folder with Atlas 2

Thanks for your comments.

I might need to add that i don't use Battery libraries, kits or patches i just load single WAV files into cells. I've used Battery for ages and never had a problem like this. Maybe there is something wrong with the VST3 version which is what i'm using now.

To me it looks like the plugin session data isn't saved properly with the DAW project file. It obviously saves something but doesn't overwrite the file paths of replaced samples for some reason.

If you don't mind you could easily reproduce it on your machine and see if it behaves the same way.

dayjob wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:05 am the cubase project is irrelevant. you need to save the battery preset/patch. cubase isn't looking for the samples.. battery is what's looking for the samples..

Right, but Cubase saves the session data of Battery via its project file. With session data i mean the plugin state which includes all files paths to currently loaded samples and all other settings i made in Battery. It's a kind of patch or snapshot that gets automatically saved with the project file behind the scenes.

VitaminD wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:26 am If this is Windows, you can create symbolic links to mimic your files in a different location.
Thanks for the tip, but i'm not using factory kits or libraries. I just load single WAV files directly into cells.

OzoneJunkie wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:39 am Had a similar issue with Kontakt (but for me was after I uninstalled some other NI libraries). In Kontakt, there's a way to rebuild the database. Probably the same with Battery. Maybe that's what's needed? Probably not, given what you described, but thought I'd mention it. GL!
In my case Battery just need to save absolute file paths to replaced WAV files correctly. I don't think the database is responsible for this. The missing files dialog should only be presented one time and not ever again after pointing to the correct file locations.

sacer wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:56 am Although battery and native access know where my factory samples are stored, all older projects ask to point to the folder, where I had used an other storage.
This seems to be another problem but annoying as well. Is this with the VST3 version? I can't imagine the VST2 version behaving like that which looked pretty solid to me all the time. But i also never used factory samples. Maybe the database feature can help in your case!?

mi-os wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:51 am
dayjob wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:05 am the cubase project is irrelevant. you need to save the battery preset/patch. cubase isn't looking for the samples.. battery is what's looking for the samples..

Right, but Cubase saves the session data of Battery via its project file. With session data i mean the plugin state which includes all files paths to currently loaded samples and all other settings i made in Battery. It's a kind of patch or snapshot that gets automatically saved with the project file behind the scenes.
oh i see. whenever i've had this problem w/battery, saving a kit in battery has always sorted it out for me.

dayjob wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:01 pm

oh i see. whenever i've had this problem w/battery, saving a kit in battery has always sorted it out for me.
Do you (or have to) then reload that saved kit every time you open a project which uses it? To me saved kits are only useful for using them with more than one project. In my case there shouldn't be a need to save a kit.

Anyway i've created a ticket and hope they fix it asap.

mi-os wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:21 pm
dayjob wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:01 pm

Do you (or have to) then reload that saved kit every time you open a project which uses it? To me saved kits are only useful for using them with more than one project. In my case there shouldn't be a need to save a kit.

Anyway i've created a ticket and hope they fix it asap.
i like saving kits and sometimes i just make them to go back to later as a collection of sounds i liked. it can be fun/interesting/rewarding to page thru kits i've saved and see how they sound when making beats.

but the saved kits always load on their own w/a project so long as i've not messed around w/the file path or renamed a folder etc. it seems to make things easier for the project and battery if it knows where to look. but also, it's weird. if i have a project i haven't changed at all so not resaved and just quit then sometimes Battery will ask for the files location.. but if i save the kit and save the project then it loads w/o issue. this happens in different DAWs.

Tried DDMF metaplugin?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

I have always made sure I save the monolithic kits inside the project directory (for swapping projects with other half of project) or then into my own batterykits directory. This way doesnt matter what the paths are, it'll fail to find it first time when the project comes from other machine (I'll just press skip), then I load the kit and save. Now works again for me.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Return to “Instruments”