Any advice assembling my first computer from components is welcome...

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I got around to ordering the parts eventually.

Biggest uncertainty is maybe will it boot from an Asus Zendrive U7M with Windows 11 DVD over usb.
- if that needs drivers not available or something

Pretty decent instructions in case manual in which order to assemble.
Case is BeQuiet Silent Base 600 and seem to contain cables for 4 usb apart from ATX panel. And also got an extension to get 4 extra usb on an expansion slot.

ASUS Prime Z690-P D4 settling for DDR4 is good enough.
This i7-12700F is benchmarking 6 times my daw now anyway.
It cost 15% more to get DDR5 everything.

Any culprits to look out for?
- mistakes you made or just some problems anyway

I did swap a MB 20 years ago, but that is very different today probably.

Thanks.

lfm wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:25 am Biggest uncertainty is maybe will it boot from an Asus Zendrive U7M with Windows 11 DVD over usb.
Drivers? Where would you install them if no OS is installed yet?

It should work fine, just check the boot devices/order in BIOS/UEFI. And if not, just make a USB stick with Rufus.

lfm wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:25 am I did swap a MB 20 years ago, but that is very different today probably.
Some screws & connectors. Looks all the same to me :shrug:
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

T-CM11 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:25 am
lfm wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:25 am Biggest uncertainty is maybe will it boot from an Asus Zendrive U7M with Windows 11 DVD over usb.
Drivers? Where would you install them if no OS is installed yet?

It should work fine, just check the boot devices/order in BIOS/UEFI. And if not, just make a USB stick with Rufus.
Much obliged, thanks.
BIOS check noted.

Some things must be present in bios for the boot loader or whatever to recognize a boot media. If not called drivers so something else. Normal VGA card some SATA devices etc.

I saw some notes on the Z790 MB if to load internet some extra software was needed and not sure how much is on the optical disks and then move over to internet if that is found. I have the Z690 MB but still.

BertKoor wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:30 am
lfm wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:25 am I did swap a MB 20 years ago, but that is very different today probably.
Some screws & connectors. Looks all the same to me :shrug:
Thank you.

Exactly, some connectors...that is a bit worrying that you forget something important for cooling or something.

So far ATX power connector and 4 pin to cpu cooler is what I recall mentioned.

From long ago I remember some fan on a chip in middle of MB that also needed a cable. Otherwise power up button and hard reset from case.

Now 2 x M2 2TB drives and no other SATA stuff. Probably just plugin as memory cards.

I did before renew cooler paste on a cpu so that should work install cooler I think.

lfm wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:41 am Some things must be present in bios for the boot loader or whatever to recognize a boot media. If not called drivers so something else. Normal VGA card some SATA devices etc.
if the BIOS didnt have what was required to recognize boot media, then it wouldnt have what was required to load additional 'drivers' to get what was required to recognize boot media, would it?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:33 pm
lfm wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:41 am Some things must be present in bios for the boot loader or whatever to recognize a boot media. If not called drivers so something else. Normal VGA card some SATA devices etc.
if the BIOS didnt have what was required to recognize boot media, then it wouldnt have what was required to load additional 'drivers' to get what was required to recognize boot media, would it?
Some usb memory sticks create two drives, one read only with drivers needed for it to run. If it was Sandisk type. Those don't work on some hardware not a pc or mac. Remember those were ruled out for Xbox long ago.

So maybe this Zendisk does similar things and it will be fully functional at boot.
- that was initial question

Some seem hung up on what I called "driver" previously and expanded a bit.

lfm wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:42 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:33 pm
Some usb memory sticks create two drives, one read only with drivers needed for it to run. If it was Sandisk type. Those don't work on some hardware not a pc or mac. Remember those were ruled out for Xbox long ago.

So maybe this Zendisk does similar things and it will be fully functional at boot.
- that was initial question

Some seem hung up on what I called "driver" previously and expanded a bit.
You seem hung up on something irrelevant. If your BIOS needed anything else other than itself to bootstrap an OS install, it would be pointless. If anything is needed as part of that OS install, its the OS installer that needs it, not the BIOS.

it's like wiring a plug.
a very complicated and expensive plug.

whyterabbyt wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:25 pm
You seem hung up on something irrelevant.
It could be irrelevant if all usb devices were created equal.
- and as I pointed out they are not

And assurance from T-CM11 it would work was enough for me.

If you had any advice in there.....I missed it, sorry. ;)

I remember having configured a laptop a while ago, and at first I was unable to install the OS because it wasn't recognizing the SSD. It happens the BIOS lacked a driver to be able to use the SSD. I had to return to the store, and they gave that driver, which I copied into the USB stick where was the OS installer. During the installation, the OS installer asked me for the driver, I pointed it to the USB stick, it installed the driver, and everything went OK.
Fernando (FMR)

i assume you have an old computer or phone/tablet?
any thing you might need can then be downloaded.

BIOS can be updated from USB stick - should be usually anyway done first to check if the BIOS is latest. Then disable all unneeded peripherials from the motherboard using BIOS (fex. extra USB/SATA/FW controllers you wont be using, WIFI), then start the OS install.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

fmr wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:47 pmIt happens the BIOS lacked a driver to be able to use the SSD
During the installation, the OS installer asked me for the driver, I pointed it to the USB stick, it installed the driver, and everything went OK.
[edited, after confusion between poster and OP]

On one hand you say the BIOS needs a driver, on the other you admit the OS installer needed the driver.

Only one of these two things is actually correct, and I already said what that was.
Last edited by whyterabbyt on Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

different guy ;)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”