Complete setup running on Linux??

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there,

because of multiple reasons I tend to leave Windows and move over to Linux but to be honest I have no idea what to expect from there...
I am a hobbiest so I don´t have to fight with any pressure to get something done on schedule...

I will use Bitwig and mostly native devices, have already seen some videos explaining how to get up running Windows VST and VST3 plugins via Wine and what´s needed for this...

What experience have you made using stuff which doesn´t come with native Linux versions like Omnisphere, Serum, Sylenth etc... Uhe stuff luckily comes as native Linux as well as everything from TAL
Serum I could get rid off and using Vital instead... with Sylenth it´s a bit harder though and 3 must haves I need to get running are:
Tantra 2
Shaperbox
Scaler
Anybody using these under Linux?

Would be great to get some impressions, user experiences if you don´t mind the time...

I am not really interrested in anti Linux comments as it´s the only alternative to Windows/MacOS so it needs to work as the other 2 don´t have any future for me...

Thx very much in advance! :tu:

viewtopic.php?t=160807

thread here for linux daws.
user audiojunkie, seems to know his stuff!

Trancit wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:34 pm I am not really interrested in anti Linux comments
How long have you been on this forum? You should know that it doesn't work like that by now. :D

T-CM11 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:50 pm How long have you been on this forum? You should know that it doesn't work like that by now. :D
At least I can try! :lol:

vurt wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:44 pm viewtopic.php?t=160807

thread here for linux daws.
user audiojunkie, seems to know his stuff!
Thx for the link... I wasn´t aware of it, while it´s hard to find something useful as the thread is very crowded with much advanced stuff I´ll probably be not able to understand at first... :tu:

Virtually everything runs with Carla and Yabridge. Yabridge is better. You will need to test plugins in a default wine prefix and then if they don't work use something like the Bottles app from flatpak which has a GUI to install them in separate wineprefixs and configure each wineprefix for individual plugins.

A lot of Windows vsts have scaling issues but these can be fixed per plugin using winecfg and looking into the graphics and scaling options there. Some VSTS will require dependencies and overrides which can be done either through winetricks or bottles (bottles will handle it all sorry) on an individual basis and will need configuring to see what works and what doesn't. When working VSTS on Ubuntu for me at least run almost identically in speed to Windows 10.

You may need to adapt your workflow and get used to freezing tracks as you go as running more and more VSTS through bridging can lead to stability issues in some DAWS. Using Waveform 12 PRO I have had some issues with this but in Reaper very few. As for mixing and mastering I find Harrison Mixbus does that on Linux and is all you really need and if you do need additional mixing and mastering plugs you can use Yabridge to run them.

Yabridge will require you to run from the terminal rather than from a GUI.

Linux involves more setting up. It's more of a hassle for vsts as each vst is different in terms of what it may / may not need in terms of winecfg and dependencies (winetricks / bottles dll overrides) to get running but I've not seen anything not run on Linux.

This in part is down to the investment Valve are putting into Proton which feeds back into Wine so the compatability layer is really good now.

Much simpler to just use Windows though.

But if you don't mind additional tinkering and set up per individual vst then Linux will be fine.

Recommend getting Ubuntu based distro so you can have the Ubuntu Studio settings control app as this is a godsend.

You also need to remember on Linux Linux needs to be configured for real time audio.

RT Kernel for Linux is a necessary

So to is Wine-Staging as if you ever want to run a Windows DAW with Wineasio as a driver for audio interface then you will need Wine Staging as Wine Stable isn't configured for audio as in the same way.

Also need to have your CPU governor (program that manages processing speed) set to performance for audio - all this can be done via Ubuntu Studio controls app.

Also certain Linux DAWs seem to perform better on Ubuntu / Debian based distros - e.g. Waveform.

All in all Linux is great for audio. FL Studio 21 works like a charm on Wine 8 staging as does Yabridge and other DAWS.

Thx for taking the time!!

I cannot tell I would understand all you said atm as I don´t have any experience at all for now but I really feel the urge to make the move sooner or later as Windows just tried to push me again into the V11 update when I started the computer...quite agressively

The fact that they try hard to push the users to make the update is enough prove that they have implemented something under the hood the urgently need for whatever reason... but it will be nothing good for the user...
So my Windows time has to come to an end soon.

Thx again for your time!

My recent experience with Linux was that it is much better than it used to be but is still difficult to master. I gave up with Linux when I kept getting audio "x-runs", something I never experienced in my windows box, or OSX. And for the moment it is still quite easy to set up windows 11 without a local account. Windows will occasionally ask you to "finish setting up" the device, but just dismiss it. Its still worth giving Linux a go for the learning aspect.

The info from Rick rickpress above is detailed and helpful and sets expectations well.

However I'll just gently chime in with my own experience and say that there is an awful lot of top quality Linux native stuff to explore so you might find yourself not needing to use Yabridge for Windows plugs or anything.

I understand it's all subjective like but I myself only use Linux native software now and there's nothing from Windows that I miss. I barely use JACK actually and just do everything from within the DAW usually (namely Ardour, Renoise and occasionally Reaper).
www.cel10.com

There are better signatures out there.

dan_flash wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:16 am The info from Rick rickpress above is detailed and helpful and sets expectations well.
Thx for confirming...
However I'll just gently chime in with my own experience and say that there is an awful lot of top quality Linux native stuff to explore so you might find yourself not needing to use Yabridge for Windows plugs or anything.

I understand it's all subjective like but I myself only use Linux native software now and there's nothing from Windows that I miss. I barely use JACK actually and just do everything from within the DAW usually (namely Ardour, Renoise and occasionally Reaper).
I plan to go as much linux native as possible... but there are some things I don´t like to miss...
I bought a second hand Bitwig license as Bitwig already includes an awful lot of bread and butter stuff..
U-he is linux native too...
Vital has a linux version...

But things like Sylenth which I often use for the presets... Valhalla reverbs... evtl Omnisphere and Avenger...
I have to try out and check how it´s running...
I bought a new SSD to do a dual boot installation with linux this week but leaving my Windows untouched...
I am curious though... :tu:

dellboy wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:08 am ... I gave up with Linux when I kept getting audio "x-runs", something I never experienced in my windows box, or OSX.
I normally run everything a high buffer sizes (1048 samples) and I hope this will not cause any trouble...
And for the moment it is still quite easy to set up windows 11 without a local account. Windows will occasionally ask you to "finish setting up" the device, but just dismiss it. Its still worth giving Linux a go for the learning aspect.
Windows 10 will definetely be the last Windows version on my system...
MacOS is even worse...

I simply refuse to be part of that system for the future and no matter what it will take...the big guys can kiss my *ss... fool someone else... I am fed up and done with them! 8)

This is a good tutorial about installing Linux to a bootable external SSD.............

https://itsfoss.com/intsall-ubuntu-on-usb/

Trancit wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:08 pm
dellboy wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:08 am ... I gave up with Linux when I kept getting audio "x-runs", something I never experienced in my windows box, or OSX.
I normally run everything a high buffer sizes (1048 samples) and I hope this will not cause any trouble...
And for the moment it is still quite easy to set up windows 11 without a local account. Windows will occasionally ask you to "finish setting up" the device, but just dismiss it. Its still worth giving Linux a go for the learning aspect.
Windows 10 will definetely be the last Windows version on my system...
MacOS is even worse...

I simply refuse to be part of that system for the future and no matter what it will take...the big guys can kiss my *ss... fool someone else... I am fed up and done with them! 8)
Linux is not bad. But you will spend half of your time configuring it and understing what went wrong, sometimes... In other words, you will start experimenting and that will bring some overheads.

Installed AV Linux mx21 never connected the computer to the internet. Installed Reaper and many native and Windows VST plugins. Have Valhalla delay, VVV and the free stuff running using Yabridge. WINE and Yabridge come pre-installed.

Using both a NI KA6 and a Behringer USB devices I can run at a lower latency then on Windows without xruns. The system is backed to a live USB that I could carry with me and run on almost any computer. Linux has gotten much better for audio. Trick is it seems that once the system is running well never update anything.
Last edited by FrettedSynth on Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seems there is a very mixed bag of feelings and experiences...

For some it runs great and better than Windows...for others it´s a neverending fight...

Tomorrow I´ll find out to which part I will belong :-)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”