Contest: Feb ”Gossip”

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

farlukar wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:27 pm I'd go with “use only the five notes from a single pentatonic scale of choice”.
If you transpose the “black-keys-on-a-keyboard-scale”, the limitation/challege would still be the same...
Right

And when the first song is done, drop it one half step down and do a version that adds the two missing notes.

IV! wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:22 am The first question: is the transpose of instruments in the spirit of this month or not? For example, if I make a track for the white keys in C major. Then I will make a track for the black keys with the main tone of C-sharp, but I will lower it half a tone lower so that the main frequency is C, still obeying the structure of the black notes. This would make it possible to make a dilogy based on the common main tone.
The second question (in fact, it has already been asked and answered, so I apologize for asking again): can we use bends that are characteristic of instruments, but do not sound like a transition to a new tone? Fast, halftone, quarter-tone, vibrato? Black keys are primarily associated with oriental music for me (Japan, China), but for example koto without these instant bends would sound very boring and unrealistic.
The third question: now I'm in doubt - can we use other tonal instruments besides the piano and guitar mentioned this month? I play on a midi keyboard, so following the rules is not a problem (for guitar, too, you can find the b/w layout by frets), but should I stick only to the piano sound?
1) No idea what you are aksing.

2) Sorry but no.

3) Of chourse can you any keyboard instrument, midi or organ.

IV! wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:22 am The first question: is the transpose of instruments in the spirit of this month or not? For example, if I make a track for the white keys in C major. Then I will make a track for the black keys with the main tone of C-sharp, but I will lower it half a tone lower so that the main frequency is C, still obeying the structure of the black notes. This would make it possible to make a dilogy based on the common main tone.
1) Your intention is to use the C# black-keys-only composition, dropped half step down, inside the C major white-keys-only composition?

That is full legal.

2) You make a C# black-keys-only composition but submit it in C major, as your first entry. Your second entry will be a C major composition?

The challenge is the same, with or without transposition, as farlukar wrote. This should thus be acceptable too.

Sounds like a cheat to me :(
I will be making two quite separate entries, and they will both have been played in the required form and key. Does you good to stretch a bit out of your comfort zone :help:
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

folderol wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:25 pm Sounds like a cheat to me :(
I will be making two quite separate entries, and they will both have been played in the required form and key. Does you good to stretch a bit out of your comfort zone :help:
I totally agree with you.

So no to lower dropped key or transpose play as intended.

I see no cheating in IV!:s plans, just different ideas of expression.

And really, the result matters, not how long one worked for it...

Hellfog wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:25 pm 1) No idea what you are aksing.
I meant transpose. A feature that is found in almost all synthesizers and midi keyboards. Like I make a track on black keys from C#, and then I lower it to -100 cents. Technically it's played on black keys, but the basic tone is C. In the second track, I play in C major on white keys without transposition, and the two tracks turn out to have a common basic tone, remaining (as I thought) within the rules.
Well, in order not to breed further disputes, I'll just make two tracks unrelated to each other without shifts! :shrug:

Other, more interesting commonalities or ties are possible than just same key, e.g. rhythmic and melodic phrases, instrumentation, similarities in layout, arrangement - these came quickly in mind.

IV! wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:23 pm
Hellfog wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:25 pm 1) No idea what you are aksing.
I meant transpose. A feature that is found in almost all synthesizers and midi keyboards. Like I make a track on black keys from C#, and then I lower it to -100 cents. Technically it's played on black keys, but the basic tone is C. In the second track, I play in C major on white keys without transposition, and the two tracks turn out to have a common basic tone, remaining (as I thought) within the rules.
Well, in order not to breed further disputes, I'll just make two tracks unrelated to each other without shifts! :shrug:

Yes, I know what transpose is, been playing keyboard and midi controller for many years. I kinda missed that when you were talking about note stuff since I know nothing about that.

Sorry can't help you there.

Well, my black notes one was quick and easy to create in it's basic form. Making it sound interesting is proving to be much harder :help:
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

The times they are a-changing, indeed. Google AI MusicLM will make musicians and music producers nearly jobless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CUKU2iAzAs

it occurred to me that I often do stuff in all black notes anyway so felt comfortable with this one. Haven't done this for awhile so had more trouble figuring out all the submission rules :D

Got my list of ukulele chords, hopefully I can manage to actually play and record something in time...

Well that's me all done. Just to repeat, can the voting be extended to March 2nd Please?
I'll be driving back on the 1st, but likely to get home both late and tired - it's a 5 hour drive :(

folderol wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:47 pm Well that's me all done. Just to repeat, can the voting be extended to March 2nd Please?
I'll be driving back on the 1st, but likely to get home both late and tired - it's a 5 hour drive :(
Yes of course.

Return to “Music Cafe”