What are the best synth - 90s trance goa techno

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MarulaMusic wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:42 am
PieBerger wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:13 am 90s goa was a little bit before my time but I believe the Korg MS-20 and Roland SH-101 were both popular choices for producers back then. You could try Arturia's MS-20 V or Korg's own MS-20V2 emulations and for the SH-101, there is Lush by D16, TAL Bassline by TAL or Roland's own SH-101 emulations.

If none of those are to your liking, well best you start saving your pennies for some hardware then :) Behringer's MS-1 is an affordable alternative to the SH-101, around £300 on the UK 2nd hand market, and you can buy a Korg MS-20 Mini for around £450-500 new.
The Softube 101 is nice. Arturia's MS-20 is right on the money too.
Thanks for a good reply I will try it

Masterofdisaster wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:53 pm
PieBerger wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:13 am 90s goa was a little bit before my time but I believe the Korg MS-20 and Roland SH-101 were both popular choices for producers back then. You could try Arturia's MS-20 V or Korg's own MS-20V2 emulations and for the SH-101, there is Lush by D16, TAL Bassline by TAL or Roland's own SH-101 emulations.

If none of those are to your liking, well best you start saving your pennies for some hardware then :) Behringer's MS-1 is an affordable alternative to the SH-101, around £300 on the UK 2nd hand market, and you can buy a Korg MS-20 Mini for around £450-500 new.
Ty. Is rough to find decent reply in thread full of reported trolls hope you get banned.
I recommended Arturia MS-20 a few pages back :wink:

Edit: oh wait, you are saying thanks to the reply to my original recommendation :D
Last edited by PieBerger on Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always Read the Manual!

For second half of the nineties it‘s definitely Access Virus and Nord Lead. For the Virus you can take the DSP emulation, as mentioned before or Viper. For Nord Lead I don‘t know. There are some old Reaktor instruments, but I don‘t assume, they come pretty close.

For modern similar sounding alternatives, you can have a look at Spire, Hive and Pigments.

PieBerger wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:23 pm

Ty. Is rough to find decent reply in thread full of reported trolls hope you get banned.

Edit: oh wait, you are saying thanks to the reply to my original recommendation :D
Yes I was. But you also said alot of strange things and honestly hurtful things.. But I'm glad moderators did a good job on cleaning out thread.. Thank you all for the good suggestions and I think mostly I can use massive, I think that and sylenth1 are able to make very close to 90s sounds.
I'm not so sure about thing like ms20 just because it was not use much back then..

It was mostly alpha juno, sh101, jd800

SamDi wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:35 pm For second half of the nineties it‘s definitely Access Virus and Nord Lead. For the Virus you can take the DSP emulation, as mentioned before or Viper. For Nord Lead I don‘t know. There are some old Reaktor instruments, but I don‘t assume, they come pretty close.

For modern similar sounding alternatives, you can have a look at Spire, Hive and Pigments.
Virus and nord lead are huge part of 90s but honestly it's more 2000s than 90s. But even still it hard to recreate the fatness that come out the da converter and into a transformer for the analog out. Massive however seem to have this sound. Maybe I'm wrong. But I think it sound really fat just like a alpha juno or even nord lead sound. It so jucy.
Last edited by Masterofdisaster on Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

Masterofdisaster wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:08 pm
PieBerger wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:23 pm

Yes I was. But you also said alot of strange things and honestly hurtful things.. But I'm glad moderators did a good job on cleaning out thread.. Thank you all for the good suggestions and I think mostly I can use massive, I think that and sylenth1 are able to make very close to 90s sounds.
I'm not so sure about thing like ms20 just because it was not use much back then..

It was mostly alpha juno, sh101, jd800
Have you tried u-he Diva? It has Juno style oscillators and filters and also JP-8000 modelled oscillator. What about Tone2 Saurus? It's not modelling any synths in particular but it sounds great (to my ears) and is very affordable too.
Always Read the Manual!

My recommendation fot 90s dance sound listenable today is:
1.Icarus - amazing sound,filters are better compared to any other
2.Viper - Virus emu,which mean cool late 90s sound.
3.Synth1 - superb hardware like free sound
4.Firebird - all in one free 90 vibe
5.V-Station -90s hardware vibe
When have time will make 'Essential','Best' whatever soundbank with my favorite presets for synth1,but can't say when :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vccfs4gwwAs

Masterofdisaster wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:49 pm What is the best synth to make high quality sound, like real good quality.
I have cubase.

I like 90s trance goa techno and so. It sound full rich powerful. Deep wide and not phasey.

I want make thick sound best on software.
Hey Colleague 8)
In 90s they didn't have any computer and money to buy expensive synths, they use what ever was available at a reasonable price. Those are mostly analog synths which can be replaced by their vst counterparts. Here is the list of what I know was used during that era:
909 / 808 as drum machines, but a lot used samples.
Rolands : TB 303, SH-101 are must have, and sometimes Juno 60.
Korg MS 20.

You take one of these crank the resonance and play with the cutoff, create a pattern, drop a delay and big reverb on that and you have got goa trance.

roman.i wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:14 pm
Masterofdisaster wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:49 pm What is the best synth to make high quality sound, like real good quality.
I have cubase.

I like 90s trance goa techno and so. It sound full rich powerful. Deep wide and not phasey.

I want make thick sound best on software.
Hey Colleague 8)
In 90s they didn't have any computer and money to buy expensive synths, they use what ever was available at a reasonable price. Those are mostly analog synths which can be replaced by their vst counterparts. Here is the list of what I know was used during that era:
Korg MS 20.

You take one of these crank the resonance and play with the cutoff, create a pattern, drop a delay and big reverb on that and you have got goa trance.
You your forgot about drug/Terrence McKenna samples :lol:
Always Read the Manual!

I've been using computers to make music since around 1983 and feel I was getting in a little late.

Korg M-1
D16 LuSH-101
Diva

vurt wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:54 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:51 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:59 pm
Masterofdisaster wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:13 pm massive, not x. its the sound of the 90s!! 8)
Released in 2007 :P
yup, indeed.
but according to the recent "is massive dated" it was mentioned as the sound of the 90s :P

someone also mentioned it was used on sgt pepper. but i think they may have been taking the piss :shrug:
Wasn't it used on Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite?

Nord Lead or Novation Supernova?
Roland JV1080
Alesis Quadra synth?

roman.i wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:14 pm In 90s they didn't have any computer and money to buy expensive synths, they use what ever was available at a reasonable price. Those are mostly analog synths which can be replaced by their vst counterparts. Here is the list of what I know was used during that era:
Korg MS 20.

This - and also - the really cheaper synths included rompler type synths that people would push to their limits.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”