DIY noise/spring box

...and how to do so...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just posting this to stop hijacking vurt's thread

Built this towards the end of last year, but only referred to it in passing.

The wooden box is about 21cmx14cm, and originally held drill bits and stuff for a dremel.

It isnt a fixed configuration as such, you can see from the inside that there are 3 'rows', of slightly different spacing, each row with 3 bolts on one side and a single bolt on the other. The holes the bolts areinforced with steel washers on both sides to prevent the wood tearing.
The bolts are quite short; on the uppermost side, the bolts, though only extend about 6mm above the nuts, and there are six threaded hollow rods that screw onto those nuts, as longer posts.
In the picture, 3 of those rods also have loosely-fitting screws to hold washers and stuff in place to rattle. A couple of other bolts that dont have rods attached to them have been used directly.

3.5mm jack fitted to a 25mm or so piezo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Are we going to get some audio samples?

Ive only got that small number of those threaded posts, so any other ones I build will probably have to use longer bolts, or threaded rod. Ive got another box that same size that I intend to use, probably with a spring reverb tank inside it as a passive resonator.
Ive also got a much bigger box (33cmx24cm) which will be more like the leafaudio box/ nightmare engine type thing...

is the box the really thin type? i have an old oil paint box that's similar if so, little bigger.

ghettosynth wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:12 pm Are we going to get some audio samples?
Possibly. On the same timscale as usual...

vurt wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:15 pm is the box the really thin type? i have an old oil paint box that's similar if so, little bigger.
yeah, its pretty lightweight wood on the top and bottom, hence the washer reinforcement...

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:16 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:15 pm is the box the really thin type? i have an old oil paint box that's similar if so, little bigger.
yeah, its pretty lightweight wood on the top and bottom, hence the washer reinforcement...
ah cool, id always thought something more sturdy would be needed, but that's great, so much easier to work with than anything more substantial. even my hand drill can tackle this!

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:15 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:12 pm Are we going to get some audio samples?
I'll be holding my breath in anticipation.

ghettosynth wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:44 pm
just checking in to see how this is going after 2 hours?

ive uploaded some "dry" bowed rod samples to the test tube.
but im getting a 403 error :dog:

ill try freesound later.

vurt wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:58 pm ive uploaded some "dry" bowed rod samples to the test tube.
but im getting a 403 error :dog:
weird, did you get this sussed?

fwiw, ive modded the box above a bit now. I now have that spring tank wedged inside it, there's a 4-way earth block bolted on, currently holding a couple of bicycle spokes of different lengths, and I also cut the thin metal body (the side thats not the wire holder) of one of those eggslicers into a sorta marimba-esque thing that conveniently wedges in place between the lid and the body of the box.

i did not :oops: got distracted drilling holes.
for my uprights, decided on the simplest of all options, piece of wood glued in to the bottom of the box.
drill hole.
then i can hold it secure in the box base, but still just be free at the box top.
also means i can pull it out, stick it in the box to keep from poking my eye on it or something when not in use.

have also designed a locking tuner set up, once i acquire some more bolts and washers 8)

vurt wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:00 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:44 pm
just checking in to see how this is going after 2 hours?
I had to fart once, but I'm back to holding again.

https://youtu.be/A269VJ1Bn6U

well, that's cool!

well, things are moving along now!!!
finally got some washers :lol:

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”