Favorite Channel Strip (Console) Plugin for Analog-ish Vibe?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi!! I'm intrigued by FrontDAW, "Turn your DAW Mixer into a real Analog Console." There are many other plugins that can be added to individual tracks (or busses, etc.). There's DDMF The Strip, Eventide UltraChannel, several by Acoustica Audio, iZotope Neutron, etc. Sonimus has a couple nice ones, and I am aware of a new one they are developing. In short, there are many options out there.

Any thoughts of which channel strip you believe provides the most analog-ish vibe with the least CPU hit (important as this might be on front-end of many individual tracks).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts . . .
Last edited by tommyzai on Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

British Class A!
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

I’m selling the British Class A (I’ve gone hardware). It’s very good for a plugin.

It's so good for drums.
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

The Lindell Audio ones are very good. Brainworx are good but they lack preamp modeling which makes them incomplete.

Waves SSL EV2 is really good. The UAD ones are good too, but many, such as their SSL and Helios channels aren’t available for Spark yet.

NoiseAsh, IK Multimedia and Arturia all have respectable Neve preamp+EQ models, and IK has a few API preamp+EQ models as well, and Arturia has Trident and REDD console channels.

SSL has a full 4000 B channel strip, including preamp modeling, but it is subscription only.

PreSonus has proprietary Mix Engine FX for Studio One that models the analogue summing, complete with cross-talk and saturation of various consoles, including Neve, EMI REDD, API, and 3 different SSLs. These aren’t channel strips, but do what Front DAW seems to do, plus a lot more that Front DAW can’t do.

For a preamp/front end, I use Lindell for Neve and API, and Waves EV2 for SSL.

You have to make sure you’re getting a complete, true model, and not just a glorified EQ+compressor plugin. A proper model will add electronics “mojo” just by putting it in an insert without touching it.
Last edited by jamcat on Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Mixbus32C so you don't have to chase after every one of the 1000 different channel strips. Or just don't use channel strips - build your own with separate plugins (I'd rather pick my tools separately).

UAD LUNA
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Fuse Audio VCS-1, excellent. IK Multimedia Mixbox and TRacks, well worth checking out. I was surprised at just how good these are.

A slight digression, does anyone here use a channel strip on every channel? I have mucked about with a couple but only occasionally. Does having a channel strip replace a chain of plugins? It seems like a good way to totally cut back on the amount of vst's used. Is a project easier to deal with (and takes fewer resources?) if you only have one plugin on a track? Or am I misunderstanding how to use them?

there is no best, there are lots of good ones, some that are £20, others that are just as good but £200. recently my favourite is sonimus a console but their others are good too. maybe start with bx masterdesk as its free.

these plugins are analog preamp saturation, and usually also have eq and compressor etc. You can do these all seperately, it doesnt have to be all in 1 channel strip. You could use the free son eq or saturation knob for the saturation, and use a seperate compressor etc.

That's what I am asking though. Is there a channel strip that replaces other vsts? A one size fits all sort-of-thing...

yes, many - some of them have been mentioned here in this thread - there isn't really a "fits all" though - rather
a "fits almost all for some", so you'd have to check them out and see which one fits the bill the best for you personally.

The most popular of all probably - and certainly one of the best - is Waves Scheps OmniChannel, which has not been mentioned yet.
But if you wanted to purchase it, you'd have to be quick, because apparently in a few days from now, there won't be any perpetual licences anymore from Waves - just a subscription.

https://www.waves.com/plugins/scheps-om ... ni-channel
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I must say, the idea of not having to wade through loads if VSTs is appealing...

inkwarp wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:12 pm A slight digression, does anyone here use a channel strip on every channel? I have mucked about with a couple but only occasionally. Does having a channel strip replace a chain of plugins? It seems like a good way to totally cut back on the amount of vst's used. Is a project easier to deal with (and takes fewer resources?) if you only have one plugin on a track? Or am I misunderstanding how to use them?
Console 1 user here; the SSL XL9000 is on every channel/fx returns of my projects.

Yes it replaces the input trim, transient shaping/gating, EQ, compressor, metering, and basic saturation for almost all tasks. Still allows for all the effects/processing I do.

Edit; the hardware controller is great AND I love the sound of the Softube SSL emulations.

Return to “Effects”