Favorite Channel Strip (Console) Plugin for Analog-ish Vibe?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

soulata wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:44 pm
I don't use it enough to be really proficient. I could do without I guess.

I only mix rarely, I mostly compose, arrange and record stuff and leave mixing to others. Bought c1 before I got kids...
Thanks for the response. I DO all the mixing myself and am really intrigued by Console 1. The real question is: how much of an enhancement would it be over just mousing it? I use British Class on almost anything anyway....
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

In my case not much. In yours it could be night and day.

Wanna sell yours? How much is shipping from Slovenia to Germany? 😄
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

Naah :)

Aren't those really cheap now?

I'm always thinking I'm gonna use it more when my kids grow up a little.

Delusional, I know.

soulata wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:45 pm Naah :)

Fair enough...
Both in my shopping cart go for 1200€

sQeetz wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:52 pm
soulata wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:45 pm Naah :)

Fair enough...
Both in my shopping cart go for 1200€
Fader + Console? Ugh...

It'd be best if you could borrow it someplace to see how it gels with your workflow.

In the meantime, I have a Poly D to sell. My kids love it but I have no use for it.

Not a strip, but does anybody have options about HoRNet AnalogStage MK2?

any consoles or channel strips with a warm sound? Maybe like crimson or grand channel.

I'd consider the 4K B (and I don't even use console plugins) if
1) It was $99 instead of $325
2) It had a resizeable UI

vitocorleone123 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:05 pm I'd consider the 4K B (and I don't even use console plugins) if
1) It was $99 instead of $325
2) It had a resizeable UI
It has permanent automatic gain compensation. No way to turn it off. :x
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I thought FrontDaw was the emulation of mixing desks transformers?

ITB I use the SSL native channel strip2 which is a 9000k emulation. The 4000B looks interesting but I'll wait until they massively discount it at some point.

I also have PAs Focusrite channel but I've not used it much so far.

Like some others I often find what Neutron's assistant comes up with a sound that is just "too much"..I think it's usually the exciter.

Maybe I'm too old but frankly I don't hear too much differences in the emulations of the high end mixers..after all they were designed to be as transparent as possible and they were a tool to get the sound you wanted rather than as an effect.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

ChamomileShark wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:59 pm I thought FrontDaw was the emulation of mixing desks transformers?

ITB I use the SSL native channel strip2 which is a 9000k emulation.
FYI the SL-9000 is completely transformerless.

ChamomileShark wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:59 pm I also have PAs Focusrite channel but I've not used it much so far.
This is a really good one that should get more discussion. The console it’s modeled on is quite extraordinary. It’s the console they have (had) at Ocean Way/United Recording, which ceased operation just yesterday(!).

Famed L.A. music studio United Recording lays off staff

It has the same flaw as every bx console, though, which is not enough gain (only 10dB). This makes it less useable as a front end than sone other, such as the Lindell Audio console.

But at least there’s no automatic gain compensation.
ChamomileShark wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:59 pmMaybe I'm too old but frankly I don't hear too much differences in the emulations of the high end mixers..after all they were designed to be as transparent as possible and they were a tool to get the sound you wanted rather than as an effect.
You start really hearing it when you apply EQ or turn up the gain quite a lot. Some consoles were designed to be as transparent as possible, particularly starting in the 90s with the SL-9000 and the Neve 88R. But these are primarily mixing consoles, not tracking consoles.

Tracking was usually still done on older consoles known for their character, like API, Trident, and Helios. And of course Neve consoles with 1073 and 1081 preamps.

jamcat wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:03 pm
ChamomileShark wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:59 pm I also have PAs Focusrite channel but I've not used it much so far.
This is a really good one that should get more discussion. The console it’s modeled on is quite extraordinary. It’s the console they have (had) at Ocean Way/United Recording, which ceased operation just yesterday(!).

Famed L.A. music studio United Recording lays off staff

It has the same flaw as every bx console, though, which is not enough gain (only 10dB). This makes it less useable as a front end than sone other, such as the Lindell Audio console.

But at least there’s no automatic gain compensation.
This was a surprise winner for my ears and use - got it as a free plugin and didn’t even try it for over a year. I have no idea how it compares to what it emulates, but I’m getting good results.

Return to “Effects”