Waves...smh

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mathematics wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:14 pmI only received an email stating that we won't be able to register new plugins after the 26th, but not losing the ability to update after the 25th and not be able to buy perpetual licenses.
Same. What’s funny is that in April I get a little birthday check that I usually use to buy updates. I’d have done it earlier, had I gotten a notification. I was planning on upgrading, mostly because of improvements in F6. Now that money will go to Fab Filter. Oh well.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Something I would have posted in the other thread, had not the advertiser demanded it to be locked effective immediately:

If you really want to show them what you think of it then I suggest completely unsubscribing from their mailing-list at once.

That's what I did. If the majority of their users does that right after they go subscribtion only it is going to speak volumes.

If - instead, rather that in addition - you send angry mails to support I think that's not nearly as strong a signal as simply jumping off the train for good. ("Dogs that bark don't bite", as the saying goes.)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

No idea why the other thread was locked. Anyway...

Just occurs to me that if Waves backtrack and allow the WUP again even if for a short while (far from unlikely imo), Waves are likely to make a short-term killing. Although people would be pissed off about it, any Pro Tools user planning to move to Silicon in the coming years would be sorely tempted (only v14 plugs are native AAX) and any other DAW user with plugs prior to v13 wanting to make the jump. Many understandably won't touch them again come what may, but enough would do it to make it worth their while if their subs numbers are as low as we all hope.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:15 pm No idea why the other thread was locked. Anyway...
Edit: strangely enough it's not locked anymore, so I guess you can disregard the inflammatory bollocks I wrote below :oops::

The first tiny bit of disagreement was used as an opportunity to lock it, while in threads regarding indie-products people often tend to yell death-threats and utter voodoo curses against each other without anyone giving as much as a single damn about it, so there you have it.
If a thread gets locked quickly for no real reason here it's always about one of the bigger companies with a lot of direct critique towards the respective vendor.

"Backspines don't grow on trees", as the saying goes. :hihi:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

waves are good plugins, subscribe now
aliasing plugin owner
:?

noiseboyuk wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:15 pm Just occurs to me that if Waves backtrack and allow the WUP again even if for a short while (far from unlikely imo), Waves are likely to make a short-term killing. Although people would be pissed off about it, any Pro Tools user planning to move to Silicon in the coming years would be sorely tempted (only v14 plugs are native AAX) and any other DAW user with plugs prior to v13 wanting to make the jump. Many understandably won't touch them again come what may, but enough would do it to make it worth their while if their subs numbers are as low as we all hope.
I was thinking the same thing just an hour ago. It's not outside the possibilities that Waves will backtrack and set up a grace period of sorts to allow both systems (wup/subs) to run at the same time for a while. But the question is, do you want to? That would be like kicking the can further down the road. Never say never - but I'm feeling my relationship with Waves is at its end. There are other developers. Developers who are passionate about their stuff.

/Carl
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

martiu wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:35 pm waves are good plugins, subscribe now
Bring back the thumbs down.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

OBEY
MARRY AND REPRODUCE
NO INDEPENDENT THOUGHT
NO THOUGHT
CONSUME
CONFORM
SUBMIT
STAY ASLEEP
BUY
WATCH TV
NO IMAGINATION
DO NOT QUESTION AUTHORITY
SLEEP
WORK 8 HOURS
SLEEP 8 HOURS
PLAY 8 HOURS
HONOR APATHY
NO IDEAS
FOLLOW
SURRENDER
COOPERATE
DOUBT HUMANITY
REWARD INDIFFERENT

THIS IS YOUR GOD
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

8)
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

noiseboyuk wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:15 pm No idea why the other thread was locked. Anyway...

Just occurs to me that if Waves backtrack and allow the WUP again even if for a short while (far from unlikely imo), Waves are likely to make a short-term killing. Although people would be pissed off about it, any Pro Tools user planning to move to Silicon in the coming years would be sorely tempted (only v14 plugs are native AAX) and any other DAW user with plugs prior to v13 wanting to make the jump. Many understandably won't touch them again come what may, but enough would do it to make it worth their while if their subs numbers are as low as we all hope.
Agreed, I was almost going to do this on Saturday but decided not to. If they allowed that, I'd pay once, activate my licenses on a dongle, create offline installers and that would be that. I can't speak for others, but this is what pisses me off the most. They didn't give us any forewarning that we would not be able to activate purchased licenses. If you want to play hardball with WUP, ok, but if you think that I'm going to subscribe now, you're f**king crazy.

Further, this has absolutely solidified my stance against any firms with only CR activation.

a lil lack of perspective...waves bet on the power of their brand and market share and their ability to ride out the resulting reduced revenue years; to drive the market to the 29$ price point in the first place...they didn't do it altruistically...most likely they did it to thin the market and reduce competition due to the downturn of the pro market and the closure of most big studios, coinciding with a partial pivot to hobbyist...but the end result benefitted consumers just the same...waves is the main reason you have been able to pick up so many plugins from tons of developers for 30$; most of which used to be 3-4 times that price
Last edited by bermudagold on Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

ghettosynth wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:57 pm

Agreed, I was almost going to do this on Saturday but decided not to. If they allowed that, I'd pay once, activate my licenses on a dongle, create offline installers and that would be that. I can't speak for others, but this is what pisses me off the most. They didn't give us any forewarning that we would not be able to activate purchased licenses. If you want to play hardball with WUP, ok, but if you think that I'm going to subscribe now, you're f**king crazy.

Further, this has absolutely solidified my stance against any firms with only CR activation.
They can get stuffed. I certainly wouldn't WUP my (numerous) plugins. It's not like there was a shortage of plugin-developing companies to choose from.

Compyfox wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:36 pm Quick update...

I just dipped a toe into editing the Google Document... At some point, that document needs to be locked. At the moment, it's not fun to read/edit anything. Honestly... why don't we just all write "THIS PLUGIN", throw it at the wall and see what sticks (which seems to be the current route with the edits), instead of actually writing down 1:1 known alternatives?

I'm reading a lot of plugins that are not even close to the Waves plugin in question.
Or ones that are in the ballpark, but not quite. (like "Waves Harmony" -- sorry, there is really no 1:1 alternative with that feature set... yet!)

However... considering that Waves actively hides valid criticism on Social Media, and threads are being... er... "closed" both here and on GS... it's great to see that there are a nigh endless amount of alternatives for 98% of the offered tools.

The only way to learn, is people speaking with their wallets.
You got the point. The point of that spreadsheet is not to be accurate but to demonstrate that Waves is not important. If, later, it looks like that sheet will be useful, I can lock it and we can edit it in private to remove the less useful entries. For now, it's making a point.

jamcat wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:44 pm
martiu wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:35 pm waves are good plugins, subscribe now
Bring back the thumbs down.
The thing is they ARE good plug ins, regardless of payment options
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Some are good, but not all of them. I guess this is the main problem now with their new business model.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Return to “Effects”