Standing desk for music production?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone use a standing desk for music production?

If so, what's your setup? (ie. sitting / standing, manual adjustable desk or with a motor, which brand you might recommend, etc.)

My current setup is very ghetto (and clunky / uncomfortable) so thinking about how to design something that's most optimized for a smooth workflow, yet comfortable for many hours of production).

Been thinking about a standing desk setup to save my back, in my old office job I used to have one and would sometimes adjust it for standing. I wouldn't always work in the standing position, but on days my back would hurt a lot it would help to do so. Not sure if it's worth the hassle though, in upgrading my current home studio setup.

Last edited by Michael L on Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

I have one, because of my day job. But I also use that place for music production and that seems very well. Especially I like playing MIDI controllers sometimes standing instead of sitting. Gives you a bit of a different feel / drive.

Some random ideas:

* Don't buy a manual adjustable desk. Go for an electric one, ideally where you can have presets for your sitting and standing height. You want to switch between sitting and standing a few times during the day and if it takes too much time / effort to change the height, you might do it less and less over time.
* No reason to buy an entire desk. You can also just get the adjustable height feets and convert your current desk, if you're happy with the desk size.
* Imho it's better to invest into the adjustable desk than a good chair. Standing is better than sitting, no matter how good the chair is. If you really want to push yourself, you might even consider getting a stool instead of a chair - nothing you'd get too comfortable sitting on for longer time. Then you're more motivate to switch to standing mode.
* Try to put the outlet strip and all the cables where possible right under the desk. You can try to find an outlet strip that you can screw onto the desk plate from below. And also screw something on it which can hold all your cables or at least some hooks where you can anchor the cables to.
* At least for me that setup worked out well. Don't have any back issues - and I spend LOTS of time at that place (work + music making as a hobby - duh). But of course that may also be luck and other circumstances as well.
Find my (music) related software projects here: github.com/Fannon

s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

And yet another newbie. And check out his name. Come on 🤦‍♂️
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ramseysounds wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:07 am And yet another newbie. And check out his name. Come on 🤦‍♂️
I mean, at least he is what he advertises himself to be :hihi:

I have a BEKANT, very happy with it. The main challenge for production is placing monitors so they are consistent in both positions.

humanboeing wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:04 am
ramseysounds wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:07 am And yet another newbie. And check out his name. Come on 🤦‍♂️
I mean, at least he is what he advertises himself to be :hihi:
A thread spammer to drive advertising?
Or,
A standing desk company representative?

I use a standing desk, and like most electric models it has three memory slots. I use 1 for seated, 2 for midi keyboard standing height, and 3 for typing keyboard standing height. The reason midi and typing keyboards are at different heights is that I have my typing keyboard in a tray under the desk, and sit my midi keyboard across the front of the top surface. There is no good position for the midi keyboard while seated. Normally I have it swapped out for the Akai MPK mini which I'll just use to noodle around, so I'm happy with it at any desk height.

I got this one off Amazon which doesn't come with a tabletop, but I took my old Ikea desk off its legs and screwed it to this and it has been great https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YS ... UTF8&psc=1

Uplift desks are expensive but really nice. I have one of the longer ones that easily fits two computers, two 27 inch screens, reference monitors, and my mic arm.

QuestionAsker wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:11 am If so, what's your setup? (ie. sitting / standing, manual adjustable desk or with a motor, which brand you might recommend, etc.)
I built my own desk for this, they're all different and I found I could only get it perfect if I designed it exactly around my height, needs and so on.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”