Plugin preset mapping - Gig Performer

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi

I'm looking for a good DAW for playing live.
Due to the fact that many inexperienced people will operate the computer, a minimally complicated interface with few specific functions is needed.
It's actually just three things.

- the ability to efficiently select presets from Neural DSP plug-ins, but from the basic DAW interface, not from the plug-in window.

- the ability to switch with one click from one plugin to another

- two EQ potentiometers mapped with the VST plugin would be useful, but it's not necessary

At first it seemed to me that the Gig Performace app would be perfect for this, but I don't see any possibility to map presets there. There is also no "solo" button/function, only "bypass".

Is it possible to map presets from the plugin somehow in this program?

So far I've checked out a few DAWs - Ableton, Reaper, Cantabile, Waveform, Gig Preformer. They all work fine, but none have the few handling capabilities I need.

dezoo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:55 am hi

So far I've checked out a few DAWs - Ableton, Reaper, Cantabile, Waveform, Gig Preformer. They all work fine, but none have the few handling capabilities I need.
Maybe LiveProfessor by Audiostrom? https://audiostrom.com or VST Live by Steinberg?

dezoo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:55 am
At first it seemed to me that the Gig Performace app would be perfect for this, but I don't see any possibility to map presets there.
Is it possible to map presets from the plugin somehow in this program?
Yes, you can do it quite easily with GP Script -- but this is generally not a good idea in a live performance tool for various reasons, which is why it's just better to use multiple rackspaces.

dezoo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:55 am There is also no "solo" button/function, only "bypass".
Not sure what you're trying to do here but again you can use GP Script to implement radio buttons (there are examples already on our forums) and by attaching them to the Bypass parameter of each plugin, you can easily just arrange for everything except one item to be bypassed (which is the same as muting everything except one item, which of course is the same as soloing!

I'm a member of the Gig Performer team. Here are my thoughts on your questions.

First, Gig Performer doesn't come with (unnecessary) additional "License Managers", "Software centers", etc. and its GUI is straightforward - "you see what you patch": all plugins are connected with virtual wires.

Your questions:

1. the ability to efficiently select presets from Neural DSP plug-ins, but from the basic DAW interface, not from the plug-in window.
Obviously, this can't be done from the plugin's window as it will definitely introduce additional latency or glitches.
The solution is to use Gig Performer's rackspace mechanism and you'll see zero-latency and no glitching + you can use additional features such as audio tails.

2. the ability to switch with one click from one plugin to another
Rackspaces allow you not only to switch not only from one plugin instantly, but also to switch between very complicated plugin chains. For example, see here: https://www.youtube.com/live/Ftk6U3WXbA ... are&t=1670
.. how looks like the Wiring view of Alistair Begg. He has huge plugin chains and changes them instantly.

3. two EQ potentiometers mapped with the VST plugin would be useful, but it's not necessary
You can add how many EQs you want.

4. Is it possible to map presets from the plugin somehow in this program?
Yes it is, but what's the catch, you then don't rely on Gig Performer, but on the plugin's preset switching mechanisms which will introduce latency. If you want to have 100% instant sound switching, with no delays, the Gig Performer's rackspace mechanism is the way.

When you put everything in rackspaces. then it is piece of cake to construct a song in the Setlist view:
- Intro - Rackspace (say) "Cory Wong"
- Main riff- Rackspace (say) "Gojira"
- Solo - Rackspace X (it can be a completely different plugin chain, say S-Gear, with higher delay, etc.)
- breakdown
- etc. etc.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”