Waves already backtracking

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My small contribution to all this...
I use Waves for 25 years now (music and film post) and I was not happy at all with this situation, like most people.
I saw a bunch of videos, I read a lot of stuff but I did not see one person mentioning the bad practices this company had for some years now.
GUYS... This is not new!
No one remembers the Waves Studio Sting Operations in the mid/late 2000s? Waves won lawsuits against companies using cracked software. But they attacked dozens of studios! With good and very bad manners! On some cases they were in the right (if you wanna see it that way) but on others they were not and they really played low tricks out there.
Apparently, a lot of info about this was on websites that simply do not exist anymore... maybe it is something about that...
Well, I could write a lot here but I simply don´t have the time.
If you want to find more about this, it´s easier to see it on video, so here´s my take on this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOENYgA0zOc

soulata wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:29 pm Any ideas how to properly uninstall Waves?
You have to pay for the "other" WUP aka the Waves Uninstallation Plan :hihi:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

I always felt WUP was very reasonable, you could choose to renew or not.
- within the same v9.x you did not need WUP for updates and bugfixes
- but when v10 came along you could see if any benefit to upgrade and renew WUP

What I discovered was that some plugins in the first bundle I got Gold, that max samplerate was 48k. But this was fixed a few years later and still v9 and no renewed WUP needed.

Let's say you want 192k samplerate to render some synths or something to eliminate aliasing.
- you might choose to renew WUP if that is in new version that plugins now fix that
- and you could do it for just a single or a few plugins and pick the cost for that
- or there is a max cost $240 to do the lot you have if that makes sense
- a new plugin you buy always has one years WUP built in, so if major version upgrade around the corner that is for free for that plugin recently bought.

It's really not that different than Cubase do and want paid upgrades for dot5 upgrades or major version upgrades. They just don't call it a plan. Same with StudioOne or any software any genre really.

There is vast misconception of what WUP is, IMO.

What was strange about the subscription only plan is they stole some ideas from Adobe
- Adobe has Creative Cloud or CC in the name of products that are subscription only
- but Adobe also has Elements versions that are perpetual and a bit cutdown versions

So Waves chose some other Creative alternative and did two products that does not suffice for anybody
- even professionals hardly want to shell out that money every year with nothing new in products
- and no non-commercial people would stay for any of those two either

Avid tried this and had to keep perpetual as well, why would Waves get a way with this.
Adobe Premiere got away with it having Premiere Elements for non-commercial use too.
- Waves forgot that part

That's why I think it was a stunt from start to get extra buzz in media
- let's shock the market first
- then back off like we listened

And they probably did get a lot of feedback too, think they learned many things.

With the diminishing amount of multi million dollar studios that would run full subscription it would be madness to go for that alone. They left that pure professional arena 10 years ago and extended for non-commercial users with home studios too.

And they also got a better licensing system
- on disk
- or on any memory stick, no Pace iLok needed anymore

what s happen if you have registered V9 on your computer and when this computer not work anymore, do you lose your licence or you can deactive it and install it on a new computer ?

gryzor wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:06 pm what s happen if you have registered V9 on your computer and when this computer not work anymore, do you lose your licence or you can deactive it and install it on a new computer ?
They help you out. I think I saw max once a year you can recover licenses or so.

They have been helpful always even outside WUP for me at least. I have the Element synth, and then they released a v2.0 of Element as separate product. But then decided to give it for free for all having v1.0 as well. So had some issues then outside WUP, but they stick with you and help out.

I moved my licenses to cloud and then to memory stick, but this computer is stationary. Different with laptop I guess with something sticking out and having to keep track of it.

lfm wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:39 pm
gryzor wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:06 pm what s happen if you have registered V9 on your computer and when this computer not work anymore, do you lose your licence or you can deactive it and install it on a new computer ?
They help you out. I think I saw max once a year you can recover licenses or so.

They have been helpful always even outside WUP for me at least. I have the Element synth, and then they released a v2.0 of Element as separate product. But then decided to give it for free for all having v1.0 as well. So had some issues then outside WUP, but they stick with you and help out.

I moved my licenses to cloud and then to memory stick, but this computer is stationary. Different with laptop I guess with something sticking out and having to keep track of it.
thx for help,i have all my licence on usb stick but i m not very confortable with the idea i can lose it,since i am using a mac it is v9 to v13 and i got no second licence and i cant purchase a wup for all...

ourafilmes wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:54 pm My small contribution to all this...
I use Waves for 25 years now (music and film post) and I was not happy at all with this situation, like most people.
I saw a bunch of videos, I read a lot of stuff but I did not see one person mentioning the bad practices this company had for some years now.
GUYS... This is not new!
No one remembers the Waves Studio Sting Operations in the mid/late 2000s? Waves won lawsuits against companies using cracked software. But they attacked dozens of studios! With good and very bad manners! On some cases they were in the right (if you wanna see it that way) but on others they were not and they really played low tricks out there.
Apparently, a lot of info about this was on websites that simply do not exist anymore... maybe it is something about that...
Well, I could write a lot here but I simply don´t have the time.
If you want to find more about this, it´s easier to see it on video, so here´s my take on this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOENYgA0zOc
Holy shit - I had no idea about this :o

"Case B" sounds like being made up in its entirely. :dog:

Since when is it illegal to download "demo versions" as he claims? :lol:

My bullshit detector blew up mid-video (so I needless to say I stopped watching the drivel there and then).
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Hi there. Apparently you never heard about it so...
You can think whatever you want.
I honestly do not care...you can use your "bullshit detector" whatever way you want or need.

I am not trying to sell anything here...

It´s Illegal to use them in commercial work - that´s the point. On some cases they played really low tricks...
I showed some of the few pictures I could find about this. You can read it and/or search.
The full story was on an article here - https://www.prosoundnewseurope.com/?opt ... &Itemid=75
but the website does not exist anymore... I don´t know if I still have the paper version... so you can think whatever you want.

But if anyone knows about this, you can leave a line to tell us what you remember.

I forgot to add:
In the third picture I show in the video, you can read in the 2nd post
"stories about studios being visited and quizzed about having Waves software, and then the hidden cameras come out and film someone demo'ing legit versions"

Because I am honest (but can make mistakes like anyone) and like to be clear, here´s the link
https://gearspace.com/board/music-compu ... ation.html

Well, this does not prove anything but maybe your detector needs an update mate!

sorry...
As I mentioned the full story was here but the original website does not exist anymore.
https://www.boards.ie/discussion/205556 ... and-piracy

I am out of here.
Cheers from Portugal!

Here's a quick update on the Waves saga...

A Waves affiliate's video was removed after he exposed their fake apology from the CTO Meir Shaashua (who apparently can't spell his own name).

https://youtu.be/M9DRL7EpwG4

Harry Slate wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:55 am Here's a quick update on the Waves saga...

A Waves affiliate's video was removed after he exposed their fake apology from the CTO Meir Shaashua (who apparently can't spell his own name).

https://youtu.be/M9DRL7EpwG4
i'm not sure what the scandal is about the letters – it was maybe a bit daft to have these things made to look as though they were personal letters but i can't imagine that waves being waves didn't have the lawyers draft the "apology".

Now all the losers who eagerly await the fame come out of their holes with cheap videos...

Looks like other Devs are going to maximise the their opportunities. Just got a very funny email from PSP with this:
e48596a1-3a99-9b9d-4372-91b1aff1a035.jpeg
'Tsunami? Count on the PSP rescue team. Our policy: 3 perpetual product licenses, no transfer fees, no hardware dongles required, usually free updates ...'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'and when we got bored, we'd have a world war...'

Return to “Effects”