Do you use Reason as a vst ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I use Reason Rack Plugin primarily for the Players.

I plan to use Unify on each track for the sake of workflow.
Unify also has a modular environment called ComboBox which allows one to freely route audio and midi. https://www.kvraudio.com/news/plugingur ... fect-50140
I would use the Reason Rack Plugin inside ComboBox.
I love modular environments for being able to freely route audio and midi.

I am however looking at the following alternatives: I am looking to see if some other plugin will do as well or better for my workflow. I am now looking in the current order of preference at:
Bidule https://web.archive.org/web/20170926075 ... ts/bidule/
Loomer Architect https://www.loomer.co.uk/architect.htm
BespokeSynth https://www.bespokesynth.com/
Mulab plugin with Mux,
FL Studio with Patcher
Freestyle https://www.newsonicarts.com/html/freestyle.php
Metapluginhttps://ddmf.eu/metaplugin-chainer-vst-au-rtas-aax-wrapper/
Element - https://kushview.net/
Reason Rack Plugin

Jac459 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:20 am
BrokenTrance wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:10 pm It is very interesting this. In the Reasontalk forum one said that the Reason synths is equal or even beaten by freeware vsti if i remember correctly, but here the Reason synths almost seems like the best thing since sliced bread. :)
One may say that but in reasontalk you will also find a lot of die hard defenders of Rack Extensions.

Antidote, Exhale, VK2 for example are generally getting rave reviews. Count also friktion or grain from RS...

After, in the freeware realm, I remind you that you have vital... so freeware isn't an insult...
The Full Bucket synths was the vsti in question here if i remember correctly :) But yeah whatever.... still surprised that the Reason synths is highly regarded here. Anyway, i think Reason will slowly diminish when they broke the "not vst in Reason" promise. They should take another route(as i have said before) - keep it closed for internal devices and RE only and simply add Clip Launcher. I have said this many times. However i think it is to late now. Good Luck ReasonStudios! You will need it.

BrokenTrance wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:11 pm The Full Bucket synths was the vsti in question here if i remember correctly :) But yeah whatever.... still surprised that the Reason synths is highly regarded here. Anyway, i think Reason will slowly diminish when they broke the "not vst in Reason" promise. They should take another route(as i have said before) - keep it closed for internal devices and RE only and simply add Clip Launcher. I have said this many times. However i think it is to late now. Good Luck ReasonStudios! You will need it.
The synths I am naming aren't vst but anyway...
The strategy you are suggesting was already proposed but i don't see how is could have helped reason when one of the most requested features was vst3 support... we'll never know.

Anyway, on my side i really applaud the decision to make reason available as a rack. I like to have the best synth for the job and being able to choose between Serum, hive or Europa for wavetable, substractor, diva or Antidote for VA, Thor, Vk2, complex-1 or phase plant for modular/semi modular, novum or grain for granular, Kong or Uvi Drum Designer for Drum kits and so on and so forth is awesome.

I would love to use Reason as VST in Cubase Pro 12, Ableton Live Suite 11 and Logic Pro but it is not compatible with my Apple Mac mini M2 Pro :-(

Atlatnesiti wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:34 pm I would love to use Reason as VST in Cubase Pro 12, Ableton Live Suite 11 and Logic Pro but it is not compatible with my Apple Mac mini M2 Pro :-(
But it is. I know, because I'm using it. 8)
I'm in the beta program and the native Apple Silicon version is running fine, just as the Rosetta version was before that.
In Ableton Live, Logic and Renoise.
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

Atlatnesiti wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:34 pm I would love to use Reason as VST in Cubase Pro 12, Ableton Live Suite 11 and Logic Pro but it is not compatible with my Apple Mac mini M2 Pro :-(
Yes, as sQeetz is saying. 100%. It is working without issue on apple silicon... Since a very very long time with rosetta. And now in beta.

Jac459 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:27 am
Yes, as sQeetz is saying. 100%. It is working without issue on apple silicon... Since a very very long time with rosetta. And now in beta.
Yeah, I know about Rosetta but, all my DAWS are currently running in AS Native mode.
Hopefully beta testing is near the end of testing and Reason AS native will be released very soon :wink:

Atlatnesiti wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:50 am Yeah, I know about Rosetta but, all my DAWS are currently running in AS Native mode.
Hopefully beta testing is near the end of testing and Reason AS native will be released very soon :wink:
That's not what I meant. I know you know about Rosetta. What I mean is you can have all your other stuffs, DAW and other plugins running in AS native and just reason under rosetta. There is absolutely no issue. As a result, the difference is perfectly negligeable and purely intellectual (I would prefere conceptually everything to run native but if just RRP runs in rosetta I would never know it from a practical standpoint).

Jac459 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:59 am [quote=Atlatnesiti post_id=8661889 time=<a href="tel:1682337037">1682337037</a> user_id=416746]
Yeah, I know about Rosetta but, all my DAWS are currently running in AS Native mode.
That's not what I meant. I know you know about Rosetta. What I mean is you can have all your other stuffs, DAW and other plugins running in AS native and just reason under rosetta. There is absolutely no issue. As a result, the difference is perfectly negligeable and purely intellectual (I would prefere conceptually everything to run native but if just RRP runs in rosetta I would never know it from a practical standpoint).
[/quote]
Cubase running in native AS mode blocks Reason, ditto
Running under Rosetta works ok

Atlatnesiti wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:25 pm
Jac459 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:59 am [quote=Atlatnesiti post_id=8661889 time=<a href="tel:1682337037">1682337037</a> user_id=416746]
Cubase running in native AS mode blocks Reason, ditto
Running under Rosetta works ok
[/quote]

Ah ok, that means that Cubase doesn't run VSTs in sandbox. So I guess when one is crashing, it crashes Cubase... That's quite lame actually...

XpanderDude wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:38 pm I use it for the players and sometimes, FX.

Actually, are there any M4L devices that come anywhere close to chord sequencer, bass generator and pattern mutator? These things are the biggest strength of Reason right now.
There some incredibly powerful sequencer in max but nothing like the players in reason afaik. The only thing that can get you a similar(ish) workflow would be the suite of max devices by manifest audio. The GUI are way more convoluted probably not as nice to use but you can get in similar territories. I agree that the players are probably the most compelling reason (no pun intended) to get Reason as a VST.
Techno and other adjacent genres
Horse On The Third Floor : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyL394 ... n4RdaCYHjA

BrokenTrance wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:11 pm Anyway, i think Reason will slowly diminish when they broke the "not vst in Reason" promise.
The only reason for having Reason is the rack plugin. I am not at all interested in the DAW. I would rather guess its the other way round. Without VST support the DAW would be dead already.
I will never ever go the subscription route, so no update from my Rack plugin until they change that. The real reason Reason still exists is some Rack plugins which have no real alternative in VST land. First of all (just for me…) Friktion. Its way better than other physical models. Even if its not that exact as SWAM models, its way, way more flexible and doesn‘t have that insane price tag. AAS String Studio is nice but not as good…
Most other Rack plugins have alternatives, I also got Parsec which is nice, but the lack of MPE support keeps me off for most of it. It is possible to fill a rack with multiple instances to fake MPE, but its so much easier to do that in Bitwigs Instrument Selector, that I gave up on it within the Rack…

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:21 am
BrokenTrance wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:11 pm Anyway, i think Reason will slowly diminish when they broke the "not vst in Reason" promise.
The only reason for having Reason is the rack plugin. I am not at all interested in the DAW. I would rather guess its the other way round. Without VST support the DAW would be dead already.
I will never ever go the subscription route, so no update from my Rack plugin until they change that. The real reason Reason still exists is some Rack plugins which have no real alternative in VST land. First of all (just for me…) Friktion. Its way better than other physical models. Even if its not that exact as SWAM models, its way, way more flexible and doesn‘t have that insane price tag. AAS String Studio is nice but not as good…
Most other Rack plugins have alternatives, I also got Parsec which is nice, but the lack of MPE support keeps me off for most of it. It is possible to fill a rack with multiple instances to fake MPE, but its so much easier to do that in Bitwigs Instrument Selector, that I gave up on it within the Rack…

Omg, exactly.... I can say the same. Even for friktion.

I can add also Grain which is in my view even better than pigments or phase plant for granular synthesis.

For reason, mpe and clap support should be the next step...

They struggled for decades to support VST. I don‘t expect much in that direction… I am happy to have Friktion. Granular I tend to do it my own way in Max… And I do have a lot of granular options as VST already…

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”