Do you use Reason as a vst ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:49 am They struggled for decades to support VST. I don‘t expect much in that direction… I am happy to have Friktion. Granular I tend to do it my own way in Max… And I do have a lot of granular options as VST already…
No sorry, that's not what I meant. I don't think they should implement hosting CLAP, I agree with you that Reason as a DAW is too far now from the leading pack.

I think they should implement CLAP for the RRP, to make RRP both CLAP and MPE compatible when hosted on another DAW.

Reason has some fantastic effects that it’s a great deal just as a plug-in suite. The tape echo, Neptune (auto tune), scream, ssl channel strip and other effects are worth the asking price of reason even if you don’t use the daw.

keyman_sam wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:54 pm Reason has some fantastic effects that it’s a great deal just as a plug-in suite. The tape echo, Neptune (auto tune), scream, ssl channel strip and other effects are worth the asking price of reason even if you don’t use the daw.
+1

Jac459 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:59 am
BrokenTrance wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:11 pm The Full Bucket synths was the vsti in question here if i remember correctly :) But yeah whatever.... still surprised that the Reason synths is highly regarded here. Anyway, i think Reason will slowly diminish when they broke the "not vst in Reason" promise. They should take another route(as i have said before) - keep it closed for internal devices and RE only and simply add Clip Launcher. I have said this many times. However i think it is to late now. Good Luck ReasonStudios! You will need it.
The synths I am naming aren't vst but anyway...
The strategy you are suggesting was already proposed but i don't see how is could have helped reason when one of the most requested features was vst3 support... we'll never know.

Anyway, on my side i really applaud the decision to make reason available as a rack. I like to have the best synth for the job and being able to choose between Serum, hive or Europa for wavetable, substractor, diva or Antidote for VA, Thor, Vk2, complex-1 or phase plant for modular/semi modular, novum or grain for granular, Kong or Uvi Drum Designer for Drum kits and so on and so forth is awesome.
Yeah the stragety was mentioned some times on Reasontalk. Not much here. Mind i am not saying you said it was.

I upgraded from 2.5 to 11 for the ability to use it as a plug in VST. Rewire should have been developed further IMO, but this is the direction Reason decided to go in. I’ve always loved it for rack of effects, so now it’s the default plug in for stacked sounds.

Now, that is AS native, I use it daily

machinesworking wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:22 am I upgraded from 2.5 to 11 for the ability to use it as a plug in VST. Rewire should have been developed further IMO, but this is the direction Reason decided to go in. I’ve always loved it for rack of effects, so now it’s the default plug in for stacked sounds.
I find RRP awesome for inspiration... When I am stuck with my VSTs, I open a rack and start to play with the RE, this is access to another word... That almost always unstuck me.

Psuper wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:12 pm
Reason is good value for a one time purchase if you never bought it before -- lots of crap to check out. Terrible for upgrades and/or sub.
It is a pretty good buy if your main DAW lacks good VSTSis, and you don't have anything like a Komplete or Arturia bundle.

The included instruments are good, but not really great, although alot of the extra REs are pretty good to amazing and can be affordable if you wait for the deals. The best thing is the included factory sounds and patches and huge amount of legacy presets that can be easily downloaded that most other DAWS can't match. People do make great presets for it which can either be had cheaply or for free. That said there are now plenty of good VSTis that are either free or inexpensive so now it is less of an issue for someone starting off not having good sounds in almost any DAW.

As a DAW it has good points but it also has alot of glaring omissions that other DAWS its age don't have. It's sequencer is pretty functional and easy to use to quickly get ideas down.

Some of its biggest omissions is things like Track Freeze which can be very annoying, and Project management features so as your project gets bigger and more complex, Reason can become pretty tedious. Most DAWS have a few glaring omissions but Reason updates can be depressing as the major release updates sometimes feels like other DAW minor release updates (with like maybe 5 new features and you usually have to wait a good bit afterwards). And the frustrating thing is feeling underwhelmed by the elephant in the room features that seem to get ignored.

Ableton don't always listen to their userbase but each major release usually add some stuff in I was wanting.

That said they have been doing a good deal of under the hood updates, so it is hopeful that maybe one day they will surprise the DAW community but the last few updates feels like they are more concerned with creating new devices over workflow features.

I occasionally use Reason as a VST in Cubase and Reaper to mess around but to be honest I still prefer using Reason as a DAW. I started using Reason at version 3.5 rewired into Protools many moons ago and always got along with the sequencer really well. It just made sense to me. After Reason 6 came out where they integrated audio recording into the rack I started playing with it a little more. Then they added timing tools, pitch correction, etc over the next few versions and I slowly started doing more work in Reason and less in Protools/Cubase. Now It's become my main DAW and at this point I have all the tools I need to make what I want and more. People way more talented than a lot of us here have made hit records using Reason back when it was much more stripped down so if I cant make quality music with what we have now Its not the DAW's fault.
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

jjpscott01 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:16 pm I occasionally use Reason as a VST in Cubase and Reaper to mess around but to be honest I still prefer using Reason as a DAW. I started using Reason at version 3.5 rewired into Protools many moons ago and always got along with the sequencer really well. It just made sense to me. After Reason 6 came out where they integrated audio recording into the rack I started playing with it a little more. Then they added timing tools, pitch correction, etc over the next few versions and I slowly started doing more work in Reason and less in Protools/Cubase. Now It's become my main DAW and at this point I have all the tools I need to make what I want and more. People way more talented than a lot of us here have made hit records using Reason back when it was much more stripped down so if I cant make quality music with what we have now Its not the DAW's fault.
I left Reason as a DAW 1 year ago, went to Bitwig and I will never go back even if I love my RRP and use it intensively.

That being said, I think anybody who says that you can't do top music in Reason is a clown. This thing is a powerhouse. If you like or not its workflow, if you appreciate or not the features it has against other DAWS, if you miss or not the features it lacks against other DAWs, is purely a question of taste.

The software is great and clearly powerful enough to do anything you want. Period.

Reason has some cool synths like spectra and some good effects like scream, I sometimes use those as a vst but it causes issues when loading a project as it freezes. I wish it worked more like a normal vst, but I think it is basically rewire as it opens reason outside of the daw too

j wazza wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:58 pm Reason has some cool synths like spectra and some good effects like scream, I sometimes use those as a vst but it causes issues when loading a project as it freezes. I wish it worked more like a normal vst, but I think it is basically rewire as it opens reason outside of the daw too
You should contact the support, it is not normal at all.

RRP work perfectly as VST, I never had one crash.

Jac459 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:08 pm
j wazza wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:58 pm Reason has some cool synths like spectra and some good effects like scream, I sometimes use those as a vst but it causes issues when loading a project as it freezes. I wish it worked more like a normal vst, but I think it is basically rewire as it opens reason outside of the daw too

Yeah the Rack Plugin works exactly like any other VST. It opens the rack only. Not the DAW or the sequencer like Rewire did previously.
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

I get similar issues in bitwig with stuff like loopcloud drum vst, as it also connects to standalone software outside of the daw. They do work sometimes but not always

jjpscott01 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:28 pm

Yeah the Rack Plugin works exactly like any other VST. It opens the rack only. Not the DAW or the sequencer like Rewire did previously.
It doesn't open another window for you? With the reason loading page to sign in?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”