Do you use Reason as a vst ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

j wazza wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:30 pm
Jac459 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:08 pm
j wazza wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:58 pm Reason has some cool synths like spectra and some good effects like scream, I sometimes use those as a vst but it causes issues when loading a project as it freezes. I wish it worked more like a normal vst, but I think it is basically rewire as it opens reason outside of the daw too
You should contact the support, it is not normal at all.

RRP work perfectly as VST, I never had one crash.
I get similar issues in bitwig with stuff like loopcloud drum vst, as it also connects to standalone software outside of the daw. They do work sometimes but not always
Well I am using rrp with bitwig too. PC and mac. Both working.

j wazza wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:31 pm
jjpscott01 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:28 pm
Jac459 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:08 pm
j wazza wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:58 pm Reason has some cool synths like spectra and some good effects like scream, I sometimes use those as a vst but it causes issues when loading a project as it freezes. I wish it worked more like a normal vst, but I think it is basically rewire as it opens reason outside of the daw too
You should contact the support, it is not normal at all.

RRP work perfectly as VST, I never had one crash.
Yeah the Rack Plugin works exactly like any other VST. It opens the rack only. Not the DAW or the sequencer like Rewire did previously.
It doesn't open another window for you? With the reason loading page to sign in?
At the first load only. Then no.

Moreover now you can set offline mode for one year...

Jac459 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:32 pm Well I am using rrp with bitwig too. PC and mac. Both working.
Le Bitwig....
Jac, you using Bitwig on Mac fullscreen? Using the green button to go full screen..
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

sQeetz wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:34 pm
Jac459 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:32 pm Well I am using rrp with bitwig too. PC and mac. Both working.
Le Bitwig....
Jac, you using Bitwig on Mac fullscreen? Using the green button to go full screen..
Yes sir. .... And yes I have the f....g notch if it is your question... :-)

I haven't used it as a plugin much yet. I use it as a DAW simply because I started with it in the early days (always stable and flexible) so it's quick and easy for me.
The main thing I would like is to use MIDI plugins/drag'n'drop. For that alone I might have to learn another DAW (I have Studio One ) to integrerate MIDI vst's (and continue using Reason but as a plugin.
In my opinion Reason should make integration of MIDI vst's a priority, because AI tools will become more important. The players are excellent but there's a lot of interesting stuff happening out there

sorry double post

It opens the plugin window just like all VST's do. The Reason loading page used to load because it was authorizing it for use but as of the last update even that is gone since it uses offline authorization now.
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

No issue getting it to open as a VST or AU Plug-in/Instrument.

So, if anyone is having that issue, it is almost assuredly a specific issue with their PC. Something is wrong there (Corrupt Files, they moved the .VST3 folder into a subfolder (which can break some plug-ins), etc.).

-----

I've pretty much stopped using it as a plug-in, though, and only keep it installed on my Desktop to remind myself that I own it. It's removed off of my Laptops (cause I can't justify spending the 15GB+ storage on a 512GB MBP or a PC Laptop that works double duty as a gaming and media creation device.

Not a huge fan of external SSDs when mobile, not that I can even move that stuff to external storage.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

I'll try it with offline authorisation. But I'm pretty sure I've had similar issues on 3 pc's with vsts that open standalone software outside of the daw. They work, but in a big project they are more likely to cause crashes. Its usually when reopening it when loading a big project. Weird that other people don't get this as its not exclusive to reason either, it's vsts that connect to standalone software. To me it makes sense that software is more likely to crash when communicating with external software, and I think this is generally true for all software that it is more likely to crash at these times. I'm no expert but a programmer told me that. I'll contact support for those plugins though

j wazza wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:51 am I'll try it with offline authorisation. But I'm pretty sure I've had similar issues on 3 pc's with vsts that open standalone software outside of the daw. They work, but in a big project they are more likely to cause crashes. Its usually when reopening it when loading a big project. Weird that other people don't get this as its not exclusive to reason either, it's vsts that connect to standalone software. To me it makes sense that software is more likely to crash when communicating with external software, and I think this is generally true for all software that it is more likely to crash at these times. I'm no expert but a programmer told me that. I'll contact support for those plugins though
Well, I am a programmer and I can tell you that no, that doesn't make any sense.
The reason why most VST crash is because of DSP treatment that enter a state that are not expected OR complex communication between VST and DAW on a state that is not expected.
Doing an external HTTP call to a distant server is super super super super (did I say super?) easy and common, There is NO WAY that can crash. Basically you have 2 cases, either the server respond, either it doesn't. And I can tell you that the case where the server doesn't answer is absolutely tested and planned by the developer. Moreover the protocol of communication is extremely simple.
All the complexity is on DSP and intercommunication with DAW...

As per Reason and crash. I am only talking about large complex projects. All my projects are large and complex because I suck at mixing and mastering so I take weeks to do it so I am often working with a project almost complete and finished.
I had very very very little crash of VST, maybe 1 or 2 by month or less. And reason is not part of them. Reason never crashed on me (I am working 20-25 hours a week on the DAW).
Since 2 years, I had a few crash on VPS Avenger, 1 on Falcon, a few on Punch 2, that's it.

Edit: Just so you can imagine, a distant HTTP call to an external client is done by existing libraries. I just checked NPM which is a library repository for a common language. One of the famous HTTP/Web communication library available, axios, is downloaded ... 44 millions times per week. That tells you how HTTP communication is dead simple and common.

Jac459 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 8:37 am
j wazza wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 1:51 am I'll try it with offline authorisation. But I'm pretty sure I've had similar issues on 3 pc's with vsts that open standalone software outside of the daw. They work, but in a big project they are more likely to cause crashes. Its usually when reopening it when loading a big project. Weird that other people don't get this as its not exclusive to reason either, it's vsts that connect to standalone software. To me it makes sense that software is more likely to crash when communicating with external software, and I think this is generally true for all software that it is more likely to crash at these times. I'm no expert but a programmer told me that. I'll contact support for those plugins though
Well, I am a programmer and I can tell you that no, that doesn't make any sense.
The reason why most VST crash is because of DSP treatment that enter a state that are not expected OR complex communication between VST and DAW on a state that is not expected.
Doing an external HTTP call to a distant server is super super super super (did I say super?) easy and common, There is NO WAY that can crash. Basically you have 2 cases, either the server respond, either it doesn't. And I can tell you that the case where the server doesn't answer is absolutely tested and planned by the developer. Moreover the protocol of communication is extremely simple.
All the complexity is on DSP and intercommunication with DAW...

As per Reason and crash. I am only talking about large complex projects. All my projects are large and complex because I suck at mixing and mastering so I take weeks to do it so I am often working with a project almost complete and finished.
I had very very very little crash of VST, maybe 1 or 2 by month or less. And reason is not part of them. Reason never crashed on me (I am working 20-25 hours a week on the DAW).
Since 2 years, I had a few crash on VPS Avenger, 1 on Falcon, a few on Punch 2, that's it.

Edit: Just so you can imagine, a distant HTTP call to an external client is done by existing libraries. I just checked NPM which is a library repository for a common language. One of the famous HTTP/Web communication library available, axios, is downloaded ... 44 millions times per week. That tells you how HTTP communication is dead simple and common.
I'm talking about using reason rack vst/rewire in bitwig btw. When it's a big project it tends to crash more, and that is made worse for me when it needs to load external software like loopcloud drum or reason rack. Once it's loaded it is usually fine. Lots of vsts have online authorisation, I'm just talking about vsts that when opened in a daw, they also open a separate window of standalone software outside of the daw, such as loopcloud and reason rack. I don't know why exactly this problem occurs though

j wazza wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:05 am
I'm talking about using reason rack vst/rewire in bitwig btw. When it's a big project it tends to crash more, and that is made worse for me when it needs to load external software like loopcloud drum or reason rack. Once it's loaded it is usually fine. Lots of vsts have online authorisation, I'm just talking about vsts that when opened in a daw, they also open a separate window of standalone software outside of the daw, such as loopcloud and reason rack. I don't know why exactly this problem occurs though
Ok but I am not sure I understand, there is no separate windows on reason. I mean apart from the vst itself.

But maybe we don't use it the same way, to le rewire is an old deprecated technology, are you sure you use that.

To be clear when I launch the rack I see only tue rack and the browser, not the daw, not the mixer.

There is no rewire anymore. There is only Reason Rack as a plugin. If one is using rewire, than it's a really old version of Reason.I can't remember exactly when it was deprecated.
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

RRP only opens a VST window showing the rack not unlike every other VST on the planet. No difference. Rewire is really old and not used anymore.
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

It must be the old version then! Thanks

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”