One Synth Challenge #170: Octasine by Joakim Frostegård (exponent1 Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BrainBeatMusic wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:47 am So far the Synth seems usable but a bit limited in not a great way. The ADSR seems only to be ADS minus the R. I can't figure out how to get the LFO to work right as I don't think there seems to be much control over how fast they oscillate. The sound I have made so far feels harsher than I would like too with more of a digital sound. I hope the developer is still active on the project and that we might get an update during the competition with some improvements.
the adsr was confusing at first due to the way the init preset is set up. there are three dots you can drag around, but two are sneakily stacked in the top left corner (for minimal attack and decay and max sustain). try moving them. the second dot can be moved both horizontally and vertically, which determines decay and sustain respectively. the horizontal distance between dots 2 and 3 determines release time.

the lfo speed is multiplied by both the "ratio" knob (with snap) and "free" (no snap). the base unit is one beat* synced to your host if the "b" button is lit up, and one hertz if not. don't forget to set a target and turn up the amount for the lfo to have any effect.

*edit: or is it two beats? the speed is equivalent when host tempo is set to 120 bpm. i expected 60. not sure if that's intentional.
Last edited by emikaela on Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

I see no problems with the LFO's. Ratio and Free look after the speed and Amount is amount. It all seems to work fine.

Further I really do like the fact that it's a stereo engine which is a very nice extra feature compared to most free FM synths.

I am trying Octasine out with this wonderful free FX plugin by Ronan Fed which has a great reverb on board. Check it out. Especially for an FM synth you want to use a very good reverb and delay.
https://ronanfed.rf.gd/RF-DSP.html

Another wonderful free delay is Deelay by Sixth Sample that comes close to SuperMassive in many ways and has some extras to offer when it comes to wave shaping your delayed signal. I am not sure if we will be allowed to use this function for the challenge though.
https://sixthsample.com/deelay/

So I wish us all great fun with the Octasine challenge. Cheers you all!

Quick test, mac os 11.7.5, Ableton Live 11.2.10
Works fine!

https://soundcloud.com/marks-a-whybikky ... al_sharing

Huh…. When did you download? Maybe they have fixed?

... this morning at 10:38. Version 0.8. This Version does NOT work in StudioOne 6, only in Ableton Live ...

Interesting. My expert technical opinion is that there is something screwy with the file.

When I click Clear Patch or Bank it crashes Cakewalk.

marks-a-whybikky wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:43 pm ... this morning at 10:38. Version 0.8. This Version does NOT work in StudioOne 6, only in Ableton Live ...

I downloaded it last night and it works without problems in Studio One 6.

Clap Version does not work properly in Bitwig 4.4.9: the "Open Gui" Icon does not show up, therfore no GUI.
The VST2 Version allows to open the gui at least.

IV! wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:50 pm
Yadrichik_Chaya wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:47 pm Att ”chicken” dessutom är slang för ”fegis” gör ju inte det hela mycket bättre.
[/b] :hug:
No, that explains a lot! :hihi: I would just like to know the meaning of the expression "ÅSK-broder"?
Yadrichik_Chaya wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:47 pmIf you can't enter I think I'll skip this month and join you next month! :tu:
If I do enter this month it will only be a 100% parody track, any ideas for a good theme? 8) Sometimes the pitch-to-midi guitar tracking can create the strangest sounds, might just explore that with Octasine :lol:
If I can even get it to work :hihi:
Enter this and the next and as much as you can, thinking of it as a work to increase the Good in the World! :ud: I would have thought that your instrumental interpretation of "Diva Plavalaguna's Aria" would have been an Etalon in such circles of music, where many great musicians are allowed only to peek through the keyhole for a moment!
I have to clearify one thing.
When I saw the developers swedish name I felt like writing some very nonsensical things in Swedish. :ud: Little did I know how often Octasine will crash a project(!!)
I can barely use it and will not enter this month, but I managed to make a track today for you using Octasine and Klevgrand's Speldosa among other things. :P

If Aretha Franklin and Burt Bacharach had a son together, his name would of course be none other than: Burrito… He would make RnB music and rap in a gothic style to this type of music of his, in Russian;)

This is a short demo from Burrito Frankarach's album ”Burritoly Honest Wrapper” :borg: :borg: :borg:

https://soundcloud.com/yadrichik-chaya/ ... al_sharing
Fusion

The original is of course better! :tu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COTnn-VAGdg
Fusion

Here's an Octasine preset bank I made for you guys, just like the old days! :hyper: :party:

77 patches including:

modern & classic basses, keys, leads, pads, textures, fx, and drums.

UC Aggressive OctaSine bank.fxb.zip
Happy synthesizing! :D :love:

PS Feature request: pitch bend please
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
quick, _ake what you want in life

Ratio on LFO changes rate, I think
dB

Yadrichik_Chaya wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:49 pm If Aretha Franklin and Burt Bacharach had a son together, his name would of course be none other than: Burrito… He would make RnB music and rap in a gothic style to this type of music of his, in Russian;)

This is a short demo from Burrito Frankarach's album ”Burritoly Honest Wrapper” :borg: :borg: :borg:

https://soundcloud.com/yadrichik-chaya/ ... al_sharing
Ha ha, Epic! Mama Aretha just play "original" to little Burrito as a child, before he going to bed, and the boy acquired a good taste for strange things)

For everyone else who doesn't understand what's going on here: in fact, everything that was said here in Swedish, Russian and English is directly related to Octasine. There is the principle of operation of this artifact, the answers to all your questions about it and even the basics of the methodology for finding the ̶m̶e̶a̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶l̶i̶f̶e̶ making of patches "Don't look if you're not ready!", so look closely and you will understand everything (or not). :tu:

Return to “Instruments”