Synth overload?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone,

Is it generally advised to work with 1 or few synth instruments or is the general sentiment to have as many synths as possible to be able to produce the broadest amount of sounds etc?

Curious on others' experience!

You have just started a civil war which will become quite uncivil 🥳
No auto tune...

... perspective.
Colored Pencils Soft Core 24 Count.png
... or:
172 Colored Pencil Set.png
Work within the 'limitations/potential' of what you have available to you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

It pretty well depends on how much money you have and how many toys you want, the rest is hot air. You use as many or as few synths as you want and no big mouth who sparks a war here is right or wrong. S/w is cheap enough to be able to use hundreds and some do. Personally I only use 2 or 3 softsynths regularly, but that's just because I don't like programming sw. But I regularly use at least 8 hw synths. I've made tracks with only 1 synth before and it's perfectly doable but I don't generally like the results that way. Probably I use 3 or 4 synths on most tracks, not including drums. Sometimes more...because I can. :shrug:

one!
a wall sized modular!

As many as you can buy.
aliasing plugin owner
:?

One quality hardware synthesizer should cover most needs. Having more can be useful if you are looking for certain synthesis methods, filters, etc. Softsynths can do similiar things depending on their capabilities.

vurt wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:04 pm one!
a wall sized modular!
muralla-china-t.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aliasing plugin owner

This is all you will ever need.

martiu wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:02 pm
vurt wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:04 pm one!
a wall sized modular!
muralla-china-t.jpg
no wall too big! :party:

Loophole01 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:22 pm Hi everyone,

Is it generally advised to work with 1 or few synth instruments or is the general sentiment to have as many synths as possible to be able to produce the broadest amount of sounds etc?

To get the broadest amount of sounds
Recommended option :Learn synthesis and apply knowledge ( reaktor , supercollider , tranzistow etc..) , now you're just going buy plugins because you want to support the developer for their outstanding work.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Loophole01 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:22 pm Hi everyone,

Honestly, you need one super synth that can do a lot of stuff, you can master it and make anything you want.
Choose just one from (buy now when you choose) - Native instruments Reaktor (the big daddy), Arturia Pigments (little clunky but can do a lot of stuff), KiloHearts Phase Plant (one of the easiest super synths to learn and work with, they added granular sampling in the latest update), Uvi Falcon (one of the most capable supersynths, bad workflow), VPS Avenger (dont use the loops and percussions in your music, law suits), Omnisphere (never tried that)
Get Reaktor.
aliasing plugin owner

Nice, thanks Martiu! This is excellent information I will definitely look into those synths.

i'm more in the "a few" that you know well camp.
For me:
- u-he stuff (they cover majority of what i expect from synths)
I use all aside filterscape (but will probably get that too), but if i had to pick one u-he synth above all it would be Hive2.
Followed by ACE. :)
- Twin3 (recently)
- drum synths (drumspillage, microtonic, logic drum synth)

The problem i have with supersynths is that it can be annoying and hard to do simple stuff and modulation can be come unmanageable.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:53 pm One quality hardware synthesizer should cover most needs. Having more can be useful if you are looking for certain synthesis methods, filters, etc. Softsynths can do similiar things depending on their capabilities.
A ha haha aha h ahaha! :hihi:

Ok then - which one? :hihi:

Seriously though, find an interesting sound you like, or even a simple more vanilla sound, and make it on different synths, or softsynths, and I think they will all be slightly different in timbre and tone.

I read something somewhere recently about using one synth and one drum machine for an entire EP to be a worthwhile exercise, and I whole heartedly agree, but to limit yourself once you done such a thing... Why?

Return to “Instruments”