Vocal Type Lead from Fox Stevenson - Don't Care Crown

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I could see this being a sampled lead, but it sounds a little synthetic especially when played an octave down in the second chorus - so I feel like it could be made using a synth. Plus, I'd love to know some techniques to get more vocally tones into synthesizers as I've not had much luck with formant filters.

Here's the sound: (33 seconds in)
https://youtu.be/wTwjQkQnnA4?t=33

Sample of vocal through auto-tune. Chopped up with filtering etc. I would use kontakt for this sort of thing. Or maybe do it directly in my daw. The "synthetic" sound is from the formant of the sound being manipulated via PSOLA or something similar.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:31 am Sample of vocal through auto-tune. Chopped up with filtering etc. I would use kontakt for this sort of thing. Or maybe do it directly in my daw. The "synthetic" sound is from the formant of the sound being manipulated via PSOLA or something similar.
Yeah I've been giving this a try with a vocal chop sound, but it usually ends up too clean. The breathy-ness is hard to come by, might try formant shifting the samples up first. Distorting with a sub is another key factor, I know he does that with most of his leads.

I'm not familiar with the guy but I'm familiar with the sound. A vocal snippet just repitched up 2 or 3 semitones and then autotuned so you still have the "dirty formant shifting" of just resampling to a higher pitch and add some "buzziness" from the autotuning. You could use different methods of pitch "correction" to make the sound more or less synthetic. A LPC algorithm will give you a very "digital" recreation of a vocal. You could get something similar by just singing some vowel sounds into your daw and then editing them. I dunno if you're trying to recreate this sound exactly for some reason or just going for something similar. Similar is pretty simple. Most of that filtering and such is post chopping and shifting and autotuning.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

mistake

Return to “Sound Design”