Softube Model 80 Five Voice Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I also had a corksniffing sesh comparing Model 80 to Repro 5 and could get them virtually identical with some sounds but not others. I found the Model 80 can have more of a resonant bump in the low mids, exactly the area I like to cut to remove boxiness in mixes. I do prefer the clarity of its interface compared to Repro's default though.
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:38 pm You can find Abernathy's version in the U-he Patch Library and/or by searching the U-he forum if you think that would help. I think the new knobs with the outline make them much easier to read.
Thanks for this. I added your Velvet tweaks to the Black Slim version and it's looking good.

Another demo of the Softube Model 1980. Several sounds I´ve never heard a VST make, for example the sound at 4.45.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8dsby0KOpA

I’m running a demo of Model-80 within Bitwig but when I use the VCF module inside modular it comes with some noise. Just insert the module, connect the output and turn the cutoff knob to the right. Yesterday I contacted Softube and they told me they were going to look after it, still curious if other experience the same problem. Until now I’ve only compared it to Arturia’s Prophet emulation which was I believe a different rev. Still soundwise I find they come close but I do like the easy interface and character that the Model-80 has. But I hope the noise get solved, they keyboard is dumped (useless space) and that they expand the polyphony just like the Arturia one.

hebex wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:37 pm Another demo of the Softube Model 1980. Several sounds I´ve never heard a VST make, for example the sound at 4.45.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8dsby0KOpA
Can't say that it sounds better than Re-Pro5, but the GUI is very nice. U-he should hire the same graphics designer.

Polyphonic Portamento!
This is what I wanted!
Its a feature that Repro does not have.

The u-he version doesn’t sound like a Prophet imo, it’s too bright, and stereo. It’s a lovely sounding digital synth though.
To my ears, the softube version is closer to the prophet sound, it’s a really good emulation of it. I have a Prophet 10, that’s my point of reference.

rasmusklump wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:47 am Why don't take all the uhe skin discussions to a repro thread?
This is the Softube thread.
Sorry about that; no offence intended.

FWIW, I'm trying the Model 80 presently. It does seem to be a very "organic" sounding soft synth. Is it closer to the Prophet 5 than Arturia's (which isn't based on the same revision) or Repro 5? I'm not sure that I'm capable to judge this adequately as I have never owned a Prophet 5 (though I had some familiarity with it years ago through a studio for which I recorded. That was, however, kind of in my distant past.) There is a unique presence to it that is very, very cool. There do seem to be sounds that I both can't get and can get out of it from the other emulations. I do expect to purchase it as soon as the cash manifests itself. As it is polyphonic (as opposed to, say, Softube's monophonic Minimoog,) unlike some, I'm not bent out of shape about the desire to emulate the Prophet as faithfully as possible, limitations and all. While having extensions on the original available as "options" would be helpful, at least in this case, It's not a big deal for me.

Remember as well that there is a code available on the Softube site for an extra 10% off. It's good until 5-31. I've no idea if one has to own other Softube VST's for the code to apply (I do, so I wouldn't be able to determine this.)

Congrats to Softube on this.
“Madness, as you know, is like gravity: all it takes is a little push.”

dlandis wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:36 pm ........

Remember as well that there is a code available on the Softube site for an extra 10% off. It's good until 5-31. I've no idea if one has to own other Softube VST's for the code to apply (I do, so I wouldn't be able to determine this.)

Congrats to Softube on this.
I haven't tried to use the code myself, but it seems not only available to all but also you can apply it to purchase others from the model series, all currently on sale.

"*Purchase between May 2 and May 31, 2023, to save an additional 10% on Model 72 Synthesizer System, Model 84 Polyphonic Synthesizer, or Model 82 Sequencing Mono Synth. Purchase between May 2 and June 2, 2023, to save an additional 10% on Model 80 Five Voice Synthesizer. Promo code cannot be combined with other promotional codes. Prices shown in USD may vary in other currencies."

rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

Nice demo by Mike Pensini.

"I kinda dig the streamlined design without effects. Most of the time they're pretty overcooked and I find companies tend to rely on them instead of the raw quality of the synth. This sounds great without effects and I tend to have my "go to" effects anyway - which are higher quality than what's usually baked into a plugin."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aZNxWNfD-M

How many Model 80 patch collections exist so far?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:19 pm How many Model 80 patch collections exist so far?
The synth is just recently released so -- except the obvious collection onboard the synth itself -- there are AFAIK so far three third party preset libraries. If you find new ones, let us know.

Nicholas Semrad
https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/ ... autoplay=1

POLYDATA music
https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/ ... autoplay=1

Starsky Carr
https://www.starskycarr.com/patches/p/s ... 80-presets

hebex wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 5:41 pm Nice demo by Mike Pensini.

"I kinda dig the streamlined design without effects. Most of the time they're pretty overcooked and I find companies tend to rely on them instead of the raw quality of the synth. This sounds great without effects and I tend to have my "go to" effects anyway - which are higher quality than what's usually baked into a plugin."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aZNxWNfD-M
Effects built into a synth from reputable makers aren’t just bolted on. They’re often tuned to the synth, which your “higher quality” effects lack. Sometimes the built in sound better than much fancier/more expensive ones because of this, plus, as in the case of the saturation/distortion in Repro, some things can be per-voices, which, again, effects added after the synth cannot achieve. Finally, you’re also paying for features and then deciding to ignore them, which anyone can do with any feature… but seems kinda silly to do categorically.

Yeah, that guy hasn't updated his opinions for a decade or two. It hasn't been a valid criticism of decent VSTi for at least 10 years and his comment makes him look out of touch. He's from Melbourne so it's not surprising.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Softsynth emulations with onboard FX guarantee 3rd party patches will suck....drowned in lazy FX and unrelated to the patch types the hardware is suited for. Classic hardware synths specialize in different patch types. An Oberheim SEM does different patches than a Minimoog which is why they complement each other. Its also good when an emulation like UAD Minimoog for example isn't polyphonic.
vitocorleone123 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:31 am
Effects built into a synth from reputable makers aren’t just bolted on. They’re often tuned to the synth, which your “higher quality” effects lack. Sometimes the built in sound better than much fancier/more expensive ones because of this, plus, as in the case of the saturation/distortion in Repro, some things can be per-voices, which, again, effects added after the synth cannot achieve. Finally, you’re also paying for features and then deciding to ignore them, which anyone can do with any feature… but seems kinda silly to do categorically.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Return to “Instruments”